Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Sabai
So if one is sufficiently obsequious, a UA FA may deign to their job and serve you.

Got it.
What would the difference be between well-mannered and obsequious ?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Currently on UA 959 from LHR to ORD - given the usual "only sparkling" wine is available for PDB - this time when I pushed back that from most other cities - including all domestic F routes - I can get a proper glass of wine - I was given a nice Sauvignon - was very pleased at the FA desire to actually take care of their passengers - instead of following stupid, lazy rules....
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Sabai
So if one is sufficiently obsequious, a UA FA may deign to their job and serve you.

Got it.
That's so good!!!

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Currently on UA 959 from LHR to ORD - given the usual "only sparkling" wine is available for PDB - this time when I pushed back that from most other cities - including all domestic F routes - I can get a proper glass of wine - I was given a nice Sauvignon - was very pleased at the FA desire to actually take care of their passengers - instead of following stupid, lazy rules....
PVG-EWR late last year I was told no alcoholic beverages, but orange juice and water were poured and ready to serve. The guy next to me challenged the FA who said it was the request of the captain not to open those carts, she did not know why. But hard for us to argue. Other side of the plane, with a different FA, got whatever they wanted as a PDB.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uanj
That's so good!!!

PVG-EWR late last year I was told no alcoholic beverages, but orange juice and water were poured and ready to serve. The guy next to me challenged the FA who said it was the request of the captain not to open those carts, she did not know why. But hard for us to argue. Other side of the plane, with a different FA, got whatever they wanted as a PDB.
And there you have the issue with UA today - and why unless something changes they will never be a truly competitive global airline - especially for premium cabin traffic....
Old Jul 15, 2016, 6:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
7/13 UA 429 RDU-IAD 320: Full PDB ^^

Nice to enjoy one on a rare upgrade for this Premier Silver.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
7/15 UA 712 IAD-SFO: ran onto the plane about 3 minutes before I was going to get offloaded. Wonderful FA made room for my bag and made sure I got a drink before we pushed ^

The rare time UA was on schedule - in fact we were so early into SFO we had to wait 20 minutes for a gate (and still logged "in" 0h06 early). I joked with the IAD GA "you guys are actually on time!" and got a laugh
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
I can confirm from first hand experience (after a really long day that culminated in UA49 BOM-EWR last Friday) that the India government prohibits UA from serving a PDB with alcohol... Sad but true, the saving grace in this instance was UA made it a Glenfarclas double (check the related "new Scotch" thread for detailed feedback). Lol...

Last edited by laughinlab2001; Jul 21, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've had good luck recently with PDBs. Still some FAs, though, who have no idea what "Buffalo Trace" is. I had missed the Glenfarclas announcement and may have to give it a try (I like some of their offerings).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by exerda
I've had good luck recently with PDBs. Still some FAs, though, who have no idea what "Buffalo Trace" is. I had missed the Glenfarclas announcement and may have to give it a try (I like some of their offerings).
Trust me, most have no idea what Glenfarclas is. They try to push Dewar's on you.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I have found PDB very hit or miss when I don't board with group 1. If I decided to hang in the lounge a little bit and let the majority of boarding sort itself out then I don't always get a PDB.

Yesterday's SEA-SFO is a perfect example. I was probably #15 of 20 to board for first class on a 739. Seat mate was boarded before me (no idea how much longer) and had no PDB. Ultimately after two battlefield upgrades the FA came back to them in row 5 and asked what they wanted. Then someone asked why the rest of us didn't get a PDB in row 4. She had apparently stopped doing PDB at row 3 (maybe forgot to continue, got sidetracked, I don't know).

Lack of a PDB is not the end of the world to me. But lack of consistency does drive me nuts. I ultimately got a PDB but had to hold the cup as they didn't come and get them before take off.

-RM
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Trust me, most have no idea what Glenfarclas is. They try to push Dewar's on you.
They tried to push Jim Beam Devil's Cut on me the first few months when I tried explaining that Buffalo Trace was "bourbon," "whiskey," etc.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Got a plastic cup of Goose IPA instead of the whole can today. First time that has happened to me. No idea why anyone would think that is a good idea...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Got a plastic cup of Goose IPA instead of the whole can today. First time that has happened to me. No idea why anyone would think that is a good idea...
Maybe they only had 1 can, and 2 requests for it as a PDB?

Or FA thought you couldn't finish a whole one before takeoff?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:46 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have found PDB very hit or miss when I don't board with group 1. If I decided to hang in the lounge a little bit and let the majority of boarding sort itself out then I don't always get a PDB.

Yesterday's SEA-SFO is a perfect example. I was probably #15 of 20 to board for first class on a 739. Seat mate was boarded before me (no idea how much longer) and had no PDB. Ultimately after two battlefield upgrades the FA came back to them in row 5 and asked what they wanted. Then someone asked why the rest of us didn't get a PDB in row 4. She had apparently stopped doing PDB at row 3 (maybe forgot to continue, got sidetracked, I don't know).

Lack of a PDB is not the end of the world to me. But lack of consistency does drive me nuts. I ultimately got a PDB but had to hold the cup as they didn't come and get them before take off.

-RM
I could not agree more. I don't necessarily care about the PDB but the lack of consistency - and totally fabricated reasons as to why they won't do PDB's - drives me crazy. I wish the FA's whom are too lazy to PDB's would realize how negative it comes across.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
RDU-ORD-YVR on a 73G/738 last weekend and both flights had full PDBs. I boarded midway through boarding on both flights and had no problems getting a drink. For all of United's faults, this is something they are (at least in my experience) consistently good at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.