FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1642409-disappointed-lack-pre-departure-beverage-pdb-other-experiences.html)

CMK10 Jan 11, 2016 10:20 am

Started 2016 off strong with a full PDB on a RDU-SFO 737-800 ^

RobOnLI Jan 11, 2016 11:03 am

Yesterday's IAH-MEX I was on had no PDB until the last second which was odd.

We boarded 5 minutes late but still had the door closed 5 minutes early. Front FA had no interest in helping anyone in the FC cabin (coats, etc.). After the jet bridge is pulled back and we sit there for 10 minutes the captain announces we'll have a 20 minute further delay for baggage loading. What does the front FA do? Sits down and reads.

Someone in row 2 asked for water and after that the FA decided to ask everyone else in FC if we wanted water. She just couldn't be bothered doing her job yesterday, I guess.

On top of that she poured dirty water onto the towels and at least chose to discard them instead of handing them out to passengers. Looks like someone forgot to clean the coffee out of the pot before she used it to pour hot water on the towels.

-RM

raehl311 Jan 11, 2016 11:10 am

I have had pretty good success with PDB's this past year, although my most recent DEN-MSP flight the offer wasn't made until the door was closed... but we had to sit around for de-icing and had plenty of time to consume the beverage, so perhaps the FA was just more aware of the situation than I.

Honestly I'd say my FA service this past year has been pretty good overall.

Kevin Adams Jan 11, 2016 4:25 pm

I almost always see pre-departure beverage service. A few times of the flights without service were due to a chaotic boarding process. This doesn't bother me.

But a few times there was no beverage service, the boarding process was normal, and no explanation was given as to why a pre-departure drink was not offered. This is what is what bothers me. And it's not actually because I care about the drink - it's because I care about consistency. Excluding any unexpected circumstances (i.e., FAs dealing with unruly passengers, catering was late, etc) I expect to consistently see pre-departure beverage service.

The same story goes for the Hot Towel Service currently being discussed in another thread. I don't expect UA to shower me in champagne and caviar - but I would like them to be consistent in whatever they decide to do.

RobOnLI Jan 11, 2016 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin Adams (Post 26002229)
I almost always see pre-departure beverage service. A few times of the flights without service were due to a chaotic boarding process. This doesn't bother me.

But a few times there was no beverage service, the boarding process was normal, and no explanation was given as to why a pre-departure drink was not offered. This is what is what bothers me. And it's not actually because I care about the drink - it's because I care about consistency. Excluding any unexpected circumstances (i.e., FAs dealing with unruly passengers, catering was late, etc) I expect to consistently see pre-departure beverage service.

The same story goes for the Hot Towel Service currently being discussed in another thread. I don't expect UA to shower me in champagne and caviar - but I would like them to be consistent in whatever they decide to do.

100% agree.
-RM

seanp7 Jan 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage

Probably 80% of the time for me. Maybe the FA's think they're on an aircraft without FC? 100% PDB's on Delta; probably the only reason to fly them... :-D

johnden Jan 11, 2016 6:44 pm

I asked a FA at another airline (not UA) about delayed flights. She told me that she preferred delayed flights as it basically invalidated their customer service metrics. She explained this meant that any complaints about service, etc were easier to ignore or explain away as all customers are a bit angry and the crews are often in a rush. Not sure how or if this affected their compensation.

I don't know if there is an official policy on UA, but I have noticed that almost all of the flights that didn't offer me a PDB were delayed. On at least 2/3 of these, the FAs were hanging out in the forward galley for 10s of minutes prior to the door closing with nothing to do but chat. This includes a number of late night flights that were held for customer service but boarded on-time. I inferred that they are not required to offer PDBs in those situations. Perhaps a former FA can clarify. In my flying there is a clear pattern, I almost always get a PDB on non-delayed flights unless boarding is rushed or the taxi too short. Not to inflame the CO vs UA debate, but I've also noticed a difference between sCO and sUA, but there are too many variables to draw conclusions.

EnvoyBoy Jan 11, 2016 6:51 pm

I fly mostly int'l premium cabins and the PDB is 100% in my experience there. Of my limited domestic flights, it's a pretty high percent, particularly on the sUA flights. And before anyone flames me, I boarded a sCO flight recently ORD-SFO. No PDB and jackets only taken after boarding completed. Two FAs hung out in the galley the whole time. Flight ends up canceling. I hop on the phone and grab the last seat on the next flight to SFO on a sUA 320. We board, the purser addresses everyone by name without notes (pretty impressive since I was just put on that flight), hangs up coats, does PDB, offers a 2nd round. The tale of two experiences in less than 60 mins.

RockyBalboa Jan 11, 2016 7:03 pm

I've not had issues with receiving a PDB due to FA issues however someone mentioned upthread that they were denied due to their choice(s) being in the back galley.

That kind of happened to me before Christmas on a IAH-PHL flight. I asked for a Miller Lite and they had to go to the back to get one. And they said that was the only one on board as the plane hadn't been restocked. I knew the aircraft had been on the ground at IAH a solid two hours prior to our departure.

Same flight had the purser greeting everyone by name when asking meal choices. It's been awhile since that happened!

johnden Jan 12, 2016 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa (Post 24095966)
Domestic US first class on narrow body planes is Coach with more seat padding.

I would dispute that on UA. Have you felt the center-back area of the F seats on the new 737-8/900s? It's basically a piece of cloth over a solid plate. The sides have some padding, but unless you are abnormally wide, you won't notice. Ditto for the seat pans, they are almost as short as in Y, barely have more cushioning, and also use a stretchable leather/fabric center. They have really tried to save a few dollars here by cutting out a pound or two of foam. I assume the future seats-to-be will be even worse. I think the old UA Y seats had more padding.

MMProfessor Jan 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 26002831)
I've not had issues with receiving a PDB due to FA issues however someone mentioned upthread that they were denied due to their choice(s) being in the back galley.

That kind of happened to me before Christmas on a IAH-PHL flight. I asked for a Miller Lite and they had to go to the back to get one. And they said that was the only one on board as the plane hadn't been restocked. I knew the aircraft had been on the ground at IAH a solid two hours prior to our departure.

Same flight had the purser greeting everyone by name when asking meal choices. It's been awhile since that happened!

I was in the last row in C on a TPE-SFO flight recently. I boarded pretty early. When the FA asked me what I would like as PDB, I said champagne. She then said "sorry, but we are out" and said they will have it in flight. I ended up declining any PDB. How can they be out? Champagne is a standard PDB on international flights. Go open another bottle if they finished the first one!

EmailKid Jan 14, 2016 9:16 am

Originally Posted by MMProfessor (Post 26015354)
How can they be out? Champagne is a standard PDB on international flights. Go open another bottle if they finished the first one!

As I understand it, they serve Prosecco on the ground and switch to Champagne in flight. Yes, they've run out of Prosecco on me pre departure as well. And one time I get the last drop.

canadiancow Feb 7, 2016 3:47 pm

In July, YYZ-EWR, I was told no alcohol for PDB. Fine. I'm an AC guy so that's still better than the water/OJ I'm accustomed to.

Right now, YYZ-IAH. Nothing. Not delayed.

I actually made a conscious decision not to grab a can in the lounge because I "knew" I'd get a PDB.

Edit: I just asked, and she said it's due to liquor laws. But that doesn't really explain why I couldn't have water or Coke.

bmwe92fan Feb 7, 2016 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy (Post 26002789)
I fly mostly int'l premium cabins and the PDB is 100% in my experience there. Of my limited domestic flights, it's a pretty high percent, particularly on the sUA flights. And before anyone flames me, I boarded a sCO flight recently ORD-SFO. No PDB and jackets only taken after boarding completed. Two FAs hung out in the galley the whole time. Flight ends up canceling. I hop on the phone and grab the last seat on the next flight to SFO on a sUA 320. We board, the purser addresses everyone by name without notes (pretty impressive since I was just put on that flight), hangs up coats, does PDB, offers a 2nd round. The tale of two experiences in less than 60 mins.

I see this ALL the time - although IME it has nothing to do with sUA/sCO - it's ALL about the specific crew. Some are really lazy - some are not. On my last flight leaving Europe I had a FA outright make up a lie that no PDB is allowed in this certain country - when I pointed to the first class cabin enjoying their PDB (and I take the flight every other week so I know it's not illegal) she just walked away - never to be seen again... FWIW - in first class I have NEVER been denied a PDB - even as the last person on the plane (which I am frequently). In J - a bit from Europe (~25%) but always 100% from APAC, and in continental US flying, which I don't do much of, I'd say it's less than 50% success..,.

exerda Feb 7, 2016 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan (Post 26148813)
I see this ALL the time - although IME it has nothing to do with sUA/sCO - it's ALL about the specific crew. Some are really lazy - some are not.

Indeed. I had two sCO crews on Friday, and they were night-and-day different. The first one even held boarding while the other FA delivered PDBs (minor interruptions given pax were still queued up in the main aisle--the FAs holding back further boarding at least kept the F aisle free). They also made a point of thanking all pax by name. The second one... no PDBs taken despite the fact we had a minor delay giving them even more time to do so. Had to ask them to take jackets.