Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
100% pdb of any type for me this year
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Probably a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried to tip a flight attendant, say $5 or so? I mentioned it up-thread, and then happened to see a reference the other day on one of those articles about FA "confessions". The quoted FA said that she provided better service to passengers who tipped.

So is tipping something that ever actually happens on planes?
Tipping is strictly forbidden. Accepting a tip can be a terminable offense.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone else ever been told that alcoholic PDB's are prohibited? Is that just an excuse by lazy FA?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ElieW
Has anyone else ever been told that alcoholic PDB's are prohibited? Is that just an excuse by lazy FA?
Never heard that one. Is it possible that the FA thought you were under 21?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Only on some carriers where the booze they open on the ground is taxed. OZ was the only one I've been on but I think there may be another one or two.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:37 am
xox

Programs: UA ex-1k, now Gold bumped up from Silver
Yes I tried to get a PDB Bloody Mary not long ago on UA, and the FA said we don't serve PDB alcohol.

I didn't argue but have received many PDB Bloody Marys.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I was told this in December in the Dominican Republic, I emailed customer care and they said the FA would be retrained sinve PBD were not illegal in that country
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
There are certain jurisdictions where alcohol may be limited or not allowed on the ground, based on the local law.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I usually don't care about pdb, but....

It's about 100 degrees in LA, the AC is barely on, the plane is fully boarded (early).

No FA around.

I walked up front to really nicely ask for water.

In the galley, I found the two FA's taking a selfie. It really irked me, and I got snarky, saying, "are you doing selfies or pre-departure beverages?"

They apologized profusely.

They brought me water. No one else got anything.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
There are certain jurisdictions where alcohol may be limited or not allowed on the ground, based on the local law.
IIRC on a recent flight ex-AMS they had PDB wine but not liquor; FA told me that they have to keep the cart locked until departure or they have to pay duty on it. Makes sense to me and I have no problem with that.

Never have been denied an alcoholic PDB (when PDBs offered) in the USA.

No-PDB flights have been the definite exception for me. I was on an ex-BOS flight recently and the FAs announced that it would be a "short taxi" and so no time for PDB. Indeed it was a very short taxi but if they'd really cared they could have squeezed it in by serving during boarding.

I think I've had one other flight this year with no PDB.

I have noticed an increasing number of flights where I don't get anything to drink until the meal is served. In the past I recall it being PDB, then beverage + nuts, then meal and another beverage. Lately I've been getting only PDB and then beverage with meal. Also seems to be a lot longer after takeoff before the nuts are served. Don't know if this is a new policy or just something happening.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bullfrog
I have noticed an increasing number of flights where I don't get anything to drink until the meal is served. In the past I recall it being PDB, then beverage + nuts, then meal and another beverage. Lately I've been getting only PDB and then beverage with meal.
Have you been doing more sCO flights? That is IME common with the sCO crews. Beverage with meal, not before.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Twice this year I haven't been served a PDB. Both flights were Mesa from IAD to IND. The second time I was given the excuse that "we don't have time" even though a full 20-25 minutes elapsed from when I was seated to when the door was closed.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I can't recall having missed any this year at all.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
34 segments YTD. 34 PDPs. Probably 50% pmCO, 50% pmUA. Missed beverages are an aberration. That's all.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've yet to encounter the lack of PDB. OTOH, I've recently encountered no hot towel service before lunch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.