FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1642409-disappointed-lack-pre-departure-beverage-pdb-other-experiences.html)

Singapore_Schwing Jan 5, 2015 6:49 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 24096719)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I've found the oopposite to be true, with CO FAs capitalizing on the delay and skipping pre-departs, while UA FAs are so afraid because Jeff wants to fire them all, they find a way to do it.

Though I've had my issues with the self proclaimed "ex-cons" I think it's pretty random.

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans (Post 24096034)
I usually fly up front but the wife does not.

That is a bold move, my friend.

dmurphynj Jan 5, 2015 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Baze (Post 24101526)
In actuality, the PDB service does minutely slow down coach boarding as the FA fights their way up and down stream taking orders and delivering them.

*sigh* Another reason I'm going to miss the 752's... 2L FOREVER!

Jeannietx Jan 6, 2015 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 24101311)
From the responses, you'd think PDBs are hardly ever served. FWIW, my experience being offered a PDB is over 90%....easily. I actually can't think of a mainline flight in last 2 years w/o being offered one. I'm not going to start a thread because I don't get it once.

Being a LAS origination, are we sure it's not a case of the 7 passengers already having more than enough PDBs, just not on the plane :) ?

Great question! The two of us don't drink, and I don't recall any indication that the other five were in any way intoxicated. We were a very quiet bunch.

Air Houston Jan 6, 2015 9:29 pm

I guess I have been lucky. I flew about 80 UA segments in F this year and did not miss a single PDB. I did have to fly in coach on a CRJ-700 for two and a half hours once, though. I would have traded a few PDBs for an upgrade on that one.

Pointlessly_1K Jan 6, 2015 11:18 pm

I was really surprised (and impressed) on a ps flight from JFK-SFO on December 28th. When offered a PDB, I asked for a cognac and the FA asked "would you like for me to heat it up for you?" He brought me warm cognac in a heated glass as a PDB; and then during the flight he kept bringing them until I passed out. :D

iluv2fly Jan 6, 2015 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jeannietx (Post 24094512)
Our United flight LAS-IAH on 12/31/14 was about 3 hours late. No big deal, I actually like modern airports and have no problem entertaining myself walking around, looking in shops, reading, etc.

Once boarded, the usual offer of beverage (we choose orange juice) before take off never happened. There was no beverage until after the "dinner" was served.
DH had the dinner, I declined. We eventually each got a small glass of orange juice well into the flight.

The emailed survey from United was definitely filled out and sent. :td:

Tuesday on my one-hour delayed LAS-ORD flight on a 739 there was no PDB offered at all. They had time to hang coats, however.

The good news was I was asked for my meal choice (only GS on flight) before anyone else as I was in the last row of F (5F). By the time the FA got to Row 4, she had run out of the salad, so everyone received the sandwich.

Soccerdad1995 Jan 7, 2015 10:49 am

Probably a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried to tip a flight attendant, say $5 or so? I mentioned it up-thread, and then happened to see a reference the other day on one of those articles about FA "confessions". The quoted FA said that she provided better service to passengers who tipped.

So is tipping something that ever actually happens on planes?

entropy Jan 7, 2015 11:01 am

On the (delayed) SJU-IAD yesterday, no predeparts at all, not even water :td:

then we sat in the PB for another 40 minutes waiting for them to resolve a computer issue.

goodeats21 Jan 7, 2015 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Pointlessly_1K (Post 24116468)
I was really surprised (and impressed) on a ps flight from JFK-SFO on December 28th. When offered a PDB, I asked for a cognac and the FA asked "would you like for me to heat it up for you?" He brought me warm cognac in a heated glass as a PDB; and then during the flight he kept bringing them until I passed out. :D

They served you a PDB in a glass container...not plastic?
That is more shocking to me then anything.

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 (Post 24119111)
Probably a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried to tip a flight attendant, say $5 or so? I mentioned it up-thread, and then happened to see a reference the other day on one of those articles about FA "confessions". The quoted FA said that she provided better service to passengers who tipped.

I would never tip an FA, and they may be prevented from accepting anyway.

JVPhoto Jan 13, 2015 2:56 pm

MTJ-ORD CRJ700
Screwdriver PDB
*Sat on runway for 2 hours, returned to gate and deplaned for about 30 min*
Screwdriver PDB once reboarded

ORD-LGA A319
Screwdriver PDB at 2:30am (flight scheduled 8pm)

NoLaGent Jan 13, 2015 3:00 pm

FWIW, I'm batting around 95% for PDB service. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

miasmal Jan 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 (Post 24119111)

See my post I just did on DYKWIA thread... to the pursor's credit he refused to take it multiple times.

qukslvr619 Jan 13, 2015 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by miasmal (Post 24160833)
See my post I just did on DYKWIA thread... to the pursor's credit he refused to take it multiple times.

FA's are generally prohibited from receiving cash as gifts. You may however find more success handing out a gift card or something like that.

Soccerdad1995 Jan 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619 (Post 24161069)
FA's are generally prohibited from receiving cash as gifts. You may however find more success handing out a gift card or something like that.

I have read several accounts in this forum of people giving FA's chocolates, etc., so maybe it is just cash that is prohibited.

teeceedee Jan 13, 2015 6:18 pm

Never had any issues getting a PDB, delay or not.

I've been on these forums enough to know UA has bad service, but frankly I haven't experienced bad service up front in all my flying. Maybe my bar is too low