Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by raehl311
On the plane at the departure gate for a TATL Polaris flight.
​​
Plenty of staff, 45 minutes in the seat but no PDB (for anyone in the cabin), and while the screens are "on" (will display that a public announcement is occurring) no ability to actually watch anything. (Remote unresponsive and touching the screen has no effect.)

Is this expected?

Don't recall either being the case previously.
I had the frozen screen effect before departure on one of my long haul lnternational flights but it was when we got switched to a 772 type that the crew had never been in. That day they did not know where anything was. But they did manage to find the PDBs and if I remember correctly we got double servings.

Maybe you could ask the Purser about both issues. The Purser should be more helpful than us here sitting in front of our computers at home.
jspira likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by raehl311
On the plane at the departure gate for a TATL Polaris flight.
​​
Plenty of staff, 45 minutes in the seat but no PDB (for anyone in the cabin), and while the screens are "on" (will display that a public announcement is occurring) no ability to actually watch anything. (Remote unresponsive and touching the screen has no effect.)

Is this expected?

Don't recall either being the case previously.
Somehow you managed to create a double thread. You must be getting desperate.........I did answer on the other one.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
787-10?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:49 pm

If you want a PDB, ring the bell and ask for one! Once the Polaris passengers are mostly seated, the FAs should be able to circulate around more freely.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
In the last couple months I have had occasion to fly in Polaris to South America and to Europe. South American flights were on the more cramped 767 but service was impeccable from start to finish. Europe flights were on larger 777 but service was noticeably less polished. No PDB at all on one, only water or OJ as PDB on another.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Plat
DEN -> SEA 8AM
Nothing. Turns out we weren't catered with anything until 5 min until we pushed back.

Also had the most bland "Pastry with egg and tomatoes" breakfast -- Should have just gotten the cereal.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I can't remember the last flight I had with no PDB. I know it's happened, but it's been a while. Glad for that!
Same here. . . every flight this year in front. (even 30 minute SFO-RNO), I've gotten a PDB. Sometimes, they've carried water/champagne/OJ, but if a customer asked for something else, they brought it to them.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
If you want a PDB, ring the bell and ask for one! Once the Polaris passengers are mostly seated, the FAs should be able to circulate around more freely.
Tried that... all kinds of excuses result.. at the end of the day a lazy crew is a lazy crew.

Backed up with the "we can't because of customs regulations...." (outside of the US of course..other excuses involving late catering, lack of space, we will serve beverages as soon as we are in the air...blah blah.)

Solution that I am employing going forward: I will be the last on board, coming from the lounge. Why get on board first???? My carry on will get a home somewhere.

It's a close second to the good old we are expecting turbulence, or that it is a "short flight" and the crew can sit on their backsides, and no turbulence is encountered. Yes, yes, safety is paramount, but having sat in that metal tube for 25 years, I don't think I actually remember one instance where it was that bad, if at all..

I will try and get around to posting what happened yesterday on an LAS - EWR flight, that was just a complete and utter &*() show.

As two GS, on a complete nightmare flight, we received no better treatment than someone who was on their first flight.. however, that is for another thread :-) Maybe when I am less irritated.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Tried that... all kinds of excuses result.. at the end of the day a lazy crew is a lazy crew.

Backed up with the "we can't because of customs regulations...." (outside of the US of course..other excuses involving late catering, lack of space, we will serve beverages as soon as we are in the air...blah blah.)

Solution that I am employing going forward: I will be the last on board, coming from the lounge. Why get on board first???? My carry on will get a home somewhere.

It's a close second to the good old we are expecting turbulence, or that it is a "short flight" and the crew can sit on their backsides, and no turbulence is encountered. Yes, yes, safety is paramount, but having sat in that metal tube for 25 years, I don't think I actually remember one instance where it was that bad, if at all..

I will try and get around to posting what happened yesterday on an LAS - EWR flight, that was just a complete and utter &*() show.

As two GS, on a complete nightmare flight, we received no better treatment than someone who was on their first flight.. however, that is for another thread :-) Maybe when I am less irritated.
ORD CDG, Polaris and while the plane landed 4.5 hours earlier and fresh crew, I was told when I asked for more than water that they were making a quick turn and don't have time. We boarded 40 minutes before planned pushback and finally pushed back 20 minutes late. BCN EWR no beverage and when asked simply told "sorry, we're just too busy". They had 45 minutes after Polaris boarded but hey with Spiderman as their backup I guess that's all they nned.
seanp7, benewr and LimeyFlyer like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:11 pm

Odd predeparture drink service

AA flyers often complain about inconsistent service of predeparture drinks in first class. I can corroborate. But on UA, I've always had good service until yesterday, when I flew on a 737 and an A320, both in first class.

737: cups of water handed out on a tray. No orders taken.

A320: FA took my order, but ignored my seatmate completely. My seatmate said "I'll have the same," but the FA walked away and didn't acknowledge him.
Yet, when she came back with one drink, she asked "Which one of you wanted this?" I said "both of us." She handed it to my seatmate and never came back with another one for me!

Now, I am pretty sure if I really cared about a particular drink on either of these flights, the FA would have made it for me. It's just that I usually don't have to be so proactive. I will say I appreciate UA's dedication to getting some type of predeparture drink service out there. On some AA flights the concept of a predeparture drink seems totally foreign.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davie355
AA flyers often complain about inconsistent service of predeparture drinks in first class. I can corroborate. But on UA, I've always had good service until yesterday, when I flew on a 737 and an A320, both in first class.

737: cups of water handed out on a tray. No orders taken.

A320: FA took my order, but ignored my seatmate completely. My seatmate said "I'll have the same," but the FA walked away and didn't acknowledge him.
Yet, when she came back with one drink, she asked "Which one of you wanted this?" I said "both of us." She handed it to my seatmate and never came back with another one for me!

Now, I am pretty sure if I really cared about a particular drink on either of these flights, the FA would have made it for me. It's just that I usually don't have to be so proactive. I will say I appreciate UA's dedication to getting some type of predeparture drink service out there. On some AA flights the concept of a predeparture drink seems totally foreign.
In my non-scientific experience becoming more common.

In the first case I have asked when they come by for a vodka soda (or other), 3/4 times they will say ok and I will get it. Sometimes I get a lecture on how PDB are not priority and she is trying to get the flight out. (Fine, I agree, it’s not priority but of course in these cases the plane is not delayed)

the second case is odd but perhaps she just misunderstood what the seatmate said “nothing for me” vs “same for me” and then misunderstood your later response and/or forgot. If the service was otherwise good I’d chalk it up to that.

What is the actual policy? I assume the FA is given some discretion on PDB and some just make it their routine to just offer water always.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've definitely been seeing more flights without PDB. Even on a A319 with only 8 seats and even one or two Polaris flights. Even an FA that told everyone they have to hang up their own jackets.
Ironically, it is usually on a delayed flight but that means they literally have more time to kill since they are just sitting there doing nothing (on the phone or chatting with another FA). What takes priority, saying hello to everyone, chatting with another FA, or getting PDB out?
I've see a FA forget about the drink service on a 739 until AFTER pushback and serve all 20 pax during taxi to the runway so it doesnt take that long.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
MEL-LAX last week with no PDB
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Had a flight EWR-IAD last week. We were "delayed" but thanks to flight time padding we weren't. No rush at boarding, but still no PDB. Also, no offer to hang my coat until I gestured, and it was hung at the back of the cabin instead of the closet (A320). It also wasn't given back to me so I had to swim upstream to get it on landing!
That's where the jacket/coat storage is for the aircraft - the existing closet does not have hangers. I believe, with the retrofit, the closet is being added back.

Still, they should have given the coat back.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I've started doing this as well, especially on the 787-10 and when I'm in a Polaris lounge - and with the App Notifications on boarding being fairly reliable, I now wait for that and board later in the process. Why drink the gross sparkling wine as a PDB when you can have Champagne or another Paper Plane in the PL?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.