Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Disappointed with lack of pre-departure beverage (PDB) & other experiences

Old May 3, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Had a flight EWR-IAD last week. We were "delayed" but thanks to flight time padding we weren't. No rush at boarding, but still no PDB. Also, no offer to hang my coat until I gestured, and it was hung at the back of the cabin instead of the closet (A320). It also wasn't given back to me so I had to swim upstream to get it on landing!
That's a bad crew. My anecdotal experience is that the east coast short-ish hauls are dropping the PDB much more frequently in the past 6 mo. But neglecting to return your coat is really annoying.

I would be inclined to write in about that, not for compensation but to hopefully make a record or prompt a refresher for the attendants.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Finally had a disappointment after many successes.

5/3 ORD-DTW E70: Despite a delayed fight, full PDB
5/5 ORD-EWR 777: Despite 50 seats in Business, full PDB
5/5 EWR-RDU 739: OJ and Water only. They had the flight boarded quickly and it wasn't full either. Once in the air the crew tried to serve only OJ and water again but this time people requested other drinks. Bad crew all around.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
05/05/19 UAX 6220 DFW-IAH E75 (Mesa) - no PDB, one round o'drinks once in the air, snack basket may/may not have been circulated (napped briefly, one trip to lav but still requested/got the 1 drink, upon collecting the drink service, one pax handed back a empty bag of the cinnamon things from the standard basket)

Asked for a bag o'chips anyway after returning from lav: FA went rearward and, after a few minutes, returned with 2 bags of non-kettle chips...odd.

Inbound flight was about an hour late getting into DFW so we were already delayed/late getting out. That being said, plenty o'time to do a PDB _anything_ before departure.

David
Old May 10, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Very impressed on Thursday. SAN-LAX: PDB proactively offered to everyone and the same during the flight (FC as coach got the water service). Same day return LAX-SAN: PDB and drink service. For such a short flight very impressive. They ran out of light beer (for the gentleman next to me) as apparently catering only puts two light beers on the flight - on a 6.45pm departure that seemed odd to me but the pax.next to me had a Stella instead.

Kudos to the FAs on both flights.
Well disappointed by the SFO-LAS flight yesterday. FA stands and waits for everyone to board. Delayed flight so everyone was waiting. At the last minute she comes round with water (I was thinking there was not going to be a PDB and the lady next to me had to ask at the end of the safety briefing if the FA would hang her jacket). Plenty of time to have asked and served a PDB.

During the flight I asked for a coffee and she made a face at me and said she would need to go to the back of the plane to get it. I smiled and said thank you. Was not offered a second cup although others were asked if they would like a refill of their drinks.

Lazy FA. SFO-LAS is a longer flight than SAN-LAX and same number of pax in FC for both flights (12). PDB is not that difficult.

Or UA should just stop saying a PDB (of your choice) will be made available.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; May 11, 2019 at 4:22 am
Old May 10, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Hate to say it but I've had much better service on AA lately with pre-departure service. This past Wednesday out of DFW the FA held back the throng headed back to Y so she could carry us F passengers the tray of bloody marys, some glasses of wine and a few beers. Quite a look of disdain on the fellow's face she told to "hang on a sec" in the doorway as the drinks went past him. She was prompt with requests as we sat down and even offered refills as the boarding process continued. Lots of frazzled people that day from the IRROPs but the FAs were very pleasant. I've been noticing this more and more with AA and hope its a trend. Maybe its just dumb luck though. I wish UA could improve on it.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: AC SE
United Express flight on a E175 from YYC-SFO last week, no PDB offered despite the fact that the FA had plenty of time to stand around the galley chatting. UA Express carriers seem to be consistently worse at offering PDB, as over the past year, I'd say UA Express is well under 50% for offering PDB's, whereas mainline is >80% for me.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: United 1K
Two firsts last week during 2 delayed flights - the first, a United Express from Durango to Denver - greeted at my seat by a hand written note on the napkin from the flight attendant welcoming us aboard. (I assume she pre-preps these ahead of boarding). We had a quick turn around because of a late inbound and she said "I'm still doing pre-flight because of the quick turn and probably won't be able to get to drinks - I will get you one as soon as we get in the air". It was nice that she acknowledged without being asked. And she did - and served them in plastic due to turbulence so we could hold them in case she had to be seated. She was great all around. Made my delayed connection onto Houston and even then the steward served all 12+ passengers including those that boarded late. I was impressed overall as I thought both would easily skip PDB's considering the delays.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Ua6073 cle-iad

UA6073 CLE-IAD

Boarded early, only 12 people in F. Not so much as a water offered pre departure despite plenty of time for FA to stand around with hands folded.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster
UA6073 CLE-IAD

Not so much as a water offered pre departure despite plenty of time for FA to stand around with hands folded.
Why didn't you just ask - that is what I do, works all the time.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
14June UA 1896 SAN-SFO 737-900
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:35 pm

UA40 6/26 EWR-FCO, no PDB service in Polaris. The flight was on time and it was the usual lengthy boarding process, so there was no obvious rationale for the lack of PDBs. This is the second time I havent had PDB service in Polaris and the other time also was to FCO. I was one of the first to board and was in my seat the whole time during boarding so Im pretty sure I didnt miss it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Menefreghismo
UA40 6/26 EWR-FCO, no PDB service in Polaris. The flight was on time and it was the usual lengthy boarding process, so there was no obvious rationale for the lack of PDBs. This is the second time I havent had PDB service in Polaris and the other time also was to FCO. I was one of the first to board and was in my seat the whole time during boarding so Im pretty sure I didnt miss it.
Well, (at least) two options going forward: a) when you get into the area where you'll be sitting, ask for the PDB of your choice, b) if, after some % of the boarding process there's no offer of a PDB, ring your call button and ask for one.

David
Old Jun 26, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, (at least) two options going forward: a) when you get into the area where you'll be sitting, ask for the PDB of your choice, b) if, after some % of the boarding process there's no offer of a PDB, ring your call button and ask for one.

David
And also you need to write a complaint to United.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
And also you need to write a complaint to United.
Ditto.

David
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
On the plane at the departure gate for a TATL Polaris flight.
​​
Plenty of staff, 45 minutes in the seat but no PDB (for anyone in the cabin), and while the screens are "on" (will display that a public announcement is occurring) no ability to actually watch anything. (Remote unresponsive and touching the screen has no effect.)

Is this expected?

Don't recall either being the case previously.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2019 at 6:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive threads by same member

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.