Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
A recap of some of the key features of the p.s. product:
  • 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

For other passengers in BusinessFirst, access to United Club at LAX, SFO, and JFK for departure and arrival.

As of 24 October, 2015, the Global First Lounge and United Club at JFK will close, and on 25 October, 2015, p.s. service will be transitioned from JFK to EWR. A mixture of p.s. configured 757 and TATL 757 (with 16 BusinessFirst seats) aircrafts will be used for the transitioned service.

No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

Premier members who request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award on or after 1 February, 2015, for a p.s. route between New York JFK and Los Angeles or San Francisco will no longer be exempt from the co-pay. Same Co-Pay requirements apply following the transition to EWR. LINK

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only if economy is oversold. UA will not unsupported upgrades for elites if there is empty space.

PS BF tends to fill up closer to travel time. Not unusual to be rather empty a few weeks out.
I was figuring the Saturday 6 AM flight would be one of the least likely flights to actually fill up given time of day....good to know.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 2MM, AA MM, SPG Platinum
just flew p.s. J this past sunday night ... flight was great, service was courteous ... only gripe was that the captain came on too early to announce initial descend when we got delayed by JFK ATC and interrupting my REM cycle

flight would've been 15 mins early, but due to ATC delays and circling patterns, arrived gate 7 minutes after block time.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I was figuring the Saturday 6 AM flight would be one of the least likely flights to actually fill up given time of day....good to know.
You are correct. That flight often goes out with empty seats in BF. With that said, look for last minute cash upgrades at check-in. I've been getting $329 for el-cheapo fares.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
You are correct. That flight often goes out with empty seats in BF. With that said, look for last minute cash upgrades at check-in. I've been getting $329 for el-cheapo fares.
So it doesn't sound like they upgrade folks out of the kindness of their heart?

(maybe wishful thinking, but I remember being kicked from Y to F on international flights when I was a kid...granted this is 15-20 years ago...)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So it doesn't sound like they upgrade folks out of the kindness of their heart? ...
nope but you can always pay the last minute upgrade offer.

.... (maybe wishful thinking, but I remember being kicked from Y to F on international flights when I was a kid...granted this is 15-20 years ago...)
and likely due to oversold situation.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Maybe I haven't thought hard enough about the economics, but I don't understand why, if they don't book up BF on TODs prior to takeoff, they just start booting people up by status rank into first...just call them up to the desk and issue folks a new ticket. I guess they can (theoretically) save money by having to pour less free drinks and saving the food for a different flight?

Just seems silly to me; I feel like the goodwill would be worth it. But I guess goodwill is probably an accounting concept and nothing more in the eyes of the folks running the airline...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Maybe I haven't thought hard enough about the economics, but I don't understand why, if they don't book up BF on TODs prior to takeoff, they just start booting people up by status rank into first...just call them up to the desk and issue folks a new ticket. I guess they can (theoretically) save money by having to pour less free drinks and saving the food for a different flight?
As they say on the DL forum, WFBF (want first, buy first).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Just seems silly to me; I feel like the goodwill would be worth it. But I guess goodwill is probably an accounting concept and nothing more in the eyes of the folks running the airline...

It gets very hard to charge for something that you give away too frequently.

If you pay $2500 for a BF ticket and you keep on seeing people end up in the seat next to you at the last minute and they're only paying $450, are you going to keep buying those $2500 tickets?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
As they say on the DL forum, WFBF (want first, buy first).
And what do we say here in the UA forum?

WFPFCPUOTOD?

(WF pray for CPU or TOD)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA
I was on JFK-SFO today, and we arrived over an hour ahead of schedule! The pilot said it was his personal record.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by clarkm
I was on JFK-SFO today, and we arrived over an hour ahead of schedule! The pilot said it was his personal record.
Hate that when you're in a lie flat! Let's me enjoy the good seat for a bit.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

They do - it's called CPU, but they don't do it on this route.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Told that I cannot apply RPU within 24 hours

I'm booked on a SFO/JFK flight tomorrow. Despite booking and applying a RPU 3 months in advance, my upgrade never cleared. And all flights tomorrow are booked full in Business class.

While I can take my chances and hope that some space will clear, I figured my odds are not too good. I looked at connections via LAX and found a few LAS/JFK flights that still have a few BF seats available (although no R available yet). I decided my upgrade chances were better via LAX and made a SDC (SFO/LAX and LAX/JFK).

While I was able to make the change, the agent told me that I cannot apply a RPU within 24 hours (i.e. cannot upgrade the LAX/JFK flight). I decided to go ahead anyway, as the LAX/JFK flight I was looking at had empty middle seats (my original SFO/JFK flight was fairly well booked solid).

After getting the change made, I went online to try to upgrade. United.com would not allow me to apply an instrument (RPU or GPU). I then called United reservations again and asked if I could apply a RPU to the LAX/JFK flight. The agent was able to do so and am now waitlisted for an upgrade.

This was the first time I ever heard that I could not apply a RPU within 24 hours. I didn't ask if this was a "new rule", or if this applied only to SDC reservations. I thought the first agent may be incorrect, except for the fact that I couldn't apply are RPU online either.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PBAudit
I'm booked on a SFO/JFK flight tomorrow. Despite booking and applying a RPU 3 months in advance, my upgrade never cleared. And all flights tomorrow are booked full in Business class.

While I can take my chances and hope that some space will clear, I figured my odds are not too good. I looked at connections via LAX and found a few LAS/JFK flights that still have a few BF seats available (although no R available yet). I decided my upgrade chances were better via LAX and made a SDC (SFO/LAX and LAX/JFK).

While I was able to make the change, the agent told me that I cannot apply a RPU within 24 hours (i.e. cannot upgrade the LAX/JFK flight). I decided to go ahead anyway, as the LAX/JFK flight I was looking at had empty middle seats (my original SFO/JFK flight was fairly well booked solid).

After getting the change made, I went online to try to upgrade. United.com would not allow me to apply an instrument (RPU or GPU). I then called United reservations again and asked if I could apply a RPU to the LAX/JFK flight. The agent was able to do so and am now waitlisted for an upgrade.

This was the first time I ever heard that I could not apply a RPU within 24 hours. I didn't ask if this was a "new rule", or if this applied only to SDC reservations. I thought the first agent may be incorrect, except for the fact that I couldn't apply are RPU online either.
On an existing reservation that you have applied an RPU to if it doesn't clear it will move to the other list. If it is a new reservation within T-24 of departure you can only apply an RPU if it immediately clears, you cannot waitlist. Though as you found, sometimes a phone agent can push it through. Same with GPU and I think same with miles.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Baze
On an existing reservation that you have applied an RPU to if it doesn't clear it will move to the other list. If it is a new reservation within T-24 of departure you can only apply an RPU if it immediately clears, you cannot waitlist. Though as you found, sometimes a phone agent can push it through. Same with GPU and I think same with miles.
Thanks for the explanation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.