Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s.® Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: diburning
A recap of some of the key features of the p.s. product:
  • 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus (36" pitch)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment.
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi for a fee (all cabins; no waivers for elite or premium cabin passengers)

The Global First Lounge at JFK is open, welcoming Global Services members seated in United BusinessFirst on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries.

For other passengers in BusinessFirst, access to United Club at LAX, SFO, and JFK for departure and arrival.

As of 24 October, 2015, the Global First Lounge and United Club at JFK will close, and on 25 October, 2015, p.s. service will be transitioned from JFK to EWR. A mixture of p.s. configured 757 and TATL 757 (with 16 BusinessFirst seats) aircrafts will be used for the transitioned service.

No CPU. Only miles or instrument-supported upgrades.

Premier members who request a MileagePlus Upgrade Award on or after 1 February, 2015, for a p.s. route between New York JFK and Los Angeles or San Francisco will no longer be exempt from the co-pay. Same Co-Pay requirements apply following the transition to EWR. LINK

Fare Basis (Co-Pay Each Way)

Y, B (no co-pay)
M,E,U ($75)
H,Q ($125)
V ($175)
W ($225)
S,T,K,L,G,N ($250)
Print Wikipost

p.s.® Premium Service Flights on UA - Questions and Experience (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: SQ Gold, UA 1K
Question R Class availability on PS Flight

I am trying to book a one way economy ticket from JFK-SFO that is couple weeks from now, with R class availability, so I can use RPU. From searching I know that R fare/class ticket releases are unpredictable. So as of now I am checking the united.com site throughout the day. But I have a feeling that the chances are pretty low.

So for people who have gone through similar experiences, is there any hope to secure a ticket with R availability on the PS Route or similar popular routes? And any idea if R fare is released closer to departure date? Or a certain time of the day or week that R fares may be released? Or does it only open up on the day of departure? Or is it just random and up to an unfathomable algorithm?

Greatly appreciate any comments, prior experience, or advice!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I've cleared on every RPU ever applied for ps. (I tend to save them specifically for ps). Only two of them had open R at time of booking.

Two cleared at the gate - the rest a few days to a few months prior.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:14 am

R fare definitely releases in waves on PS flights from what I've seen, but oftentimes it's waiting to clear day of.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: SQ Gold, UA 1K
Thanks aacharya and steaminer!
Sounds like the odds are pretty good then.
So would be fine to go ahead and purchase the ticket, apply RPU, and hope it will be applied close to departure date?
First time using RPU
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Continental
I booked a dozen R tickets with miles before Feb 1st, now it seems that they clear at the gate if at all My SFO-JFK Flt on Monday had almost 20 on the waitlist that did not clear.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Had to cancel my PS ticket for this week...

...and I realize I don't really care! Different from the past:

- my $300 ticket (bought only 10 days out - yes, this is business travel) would net me ~25% of what I used to earn RDM-wise
- My 6 CPM rate for PQD would mean I'd just have to spend more down the road for UA flights (and I'd probably have to go past 100K miles flown since I'm only averaging 12CPM so far...only need 90K PQM since I get 10K from the Plat Visa)
- would be riding in coach outbound since I'm out of RPUs - would be happy to pay the 20K miles, but a $250 copay as well? LOL
- even if I was WL'd, I'm sure one of the $200 non-elite TODs would have edged me out

Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by ordogg
Flying SFO-JFK 15 May (2053 redeye) and JFK-LAX on 16 May.

JFK-LAX cleared with a RPU at booking (R2, now R0, friend got other R seat).

R0 on SFO-JFK, but ug cleared today (about 1 week after booking). Early red-eye has dinner in BF - typo or accurate?
Although still shows up as "dinner" on .bomb, I have been informed that it is just a wrap /soup service fwiw
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ordogg
Although still shows up as "dinner" on .bomb, I have been informed that it is just a wrap /soup service fwiw
My recent experience on the 8:58PM SFO-JFK flight (on 3/8 and 3/22) was that of a full dinner service: printed menu, warm nuts and prosciutto appetizer, the usual three entree choices, ice cream sundae dessert. The bad news here is that with a dinner service comes the pre-arrival cookie, meaning that if the service hasn't changed from what it was on my recent flights, you're eating a warm chocolate chip cookie for breakfast at 5:00AM eastern time (as opposed to the warm scone that had been served at the end of the other p.s. redeyes that I've taken).
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question (that has most likely been asked in other threads), but why doesn't UA offer p.s. service from it's hubs at EWR and IAD? Why only JFK? I find it hard to believe that only JFK travelers want or are willing to pay for p.s.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question (that has most likely been asked in other threads), but why doesn't UA offer p.s. service from it's hubs at EWR and IAD? Why only JFK? I find it hard to believe that only JFK travelers want or are willing to pay for p.s.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-come-ewr.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ving-more.html

for starters
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by aindfan
My recent experience on the 8:58PM SFO-JFK flight (on 3/8 and 3/22) was that of a full dinner service: printed menu, warm nuts and prosciutto appetizer, the usual three entree choices, ice cream sundae dessert. The bad news here is that with a dinner service comes the pre-arrival cookie, meaning that if the service hasn't changed from what it was on my recent flights, you're eating a warm chocolate chip cookie for breakfast at 5:00AM eastern time (as opposed to the warm scone that had been served at the end of the other p.s. redeyes that I've taken).
Thanks for the update - I'll post my experience next month
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
Simple - competition & revenue premiums
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Booked JFK-SBA via LAX last night way in advance (beginning of next year!) and snagged some R seats (only had R availability on the early morning flight or the late night...that said, it was Friday night out to LAX and Monday afternoon on a holiday back - so can't really complain I suppose). With the new co-pay for p.s. flights, it almost made no sense to buy economy vs. buying Z or P fare ($500 total co-pay + miles v. $525 out of pocket per person). I only did the upgrade because I needed to burn RPUs expiring at the end of the month, and the only other flight I would have considered (PHX-EWR on Thanksgiving weekend) was already waitlisted, and if that didn't clear, I would probably be screwed with regards to actually having them clear on anything else. So I 'saved' one of the co-pays effectively, but it sure doesn't feel like much of a savings.

With the new copay, I'm much less likely to go for R upgrades on the transcons now. It will only make sense if buying full J is materially more expensive, but if it is, it's likely that there's no R availability and I'll be stuck in waitlist limbo...
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On a separate note - I am contemplating doing a mileage run (JFK-SFO) in the near future, and I'm seeing a decent amount of BF seats being empty (and it's not peak flying time either - Saturday morning out and same day afternoon back). I know that there aren't CPUs on p.s. flights, but if BF remains pretty empty, would they start kicking up people into BF?

Just curious, as if that's possible, I may do it and take my chances on that (I would use miles in the past b/c of R availability, but I have zero desire to pay the copay). Thoughts?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
On a separate note - I am contemplating doing a mileage run (JFK-SFO) in the near future, and I'm seeing a decent amount of BF seats being empty (and it's not peak flying time either - Saturday morning out and same day afternoon back). I know that there aren't CPUs on p.s. flights, but if BF remains pretty empty, would they start kicking up people into BF? ....
Only if economy is oversold. UA will not unsupported upgrades for elites if there is empty space.

PS BF tends to fill up closer to travel time. Not unusual to be rather empty a few weeks out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.