Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 5khours
Does anybody know for certain if PassPlus Flex funds can be used to purchase award miles. The Wiki says yes, but when I asked UA before, I was told definitely no.
Definitely yes, I did a few mile purchases when I had Passplus Flex in 2016.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:43 pm
formerly bbrantley

Originally Posted by ryman554
Lets say I plonk down $50k for PassPlus to get global services for a year.

Let's say I spend that $50k on United flights (and maybe just a little more). Does anybody know if that money gets counted toward the following year GS tally? (I'm assumiing it does for PQD and subsequent 1K requal)
Right, it does.

My scenario was almost perfect for this. GS in 2015, stopped traveling for work that year, soft landing to 1K in 2016. Early 2017, landed new gig and needed to criss-cross the globe in business class in the first few months of the year. Plunked the $50k into the account, became GS immediately. 1MM, so wife also became GS, which was probably more valuable first half of the year since I was flying paid business most of the time anyway.

After flying almost exactly 50k of business class in the first three months, I returned to normal and just took a few award flights later in the year. Requal'ed no problem this year for GS, and in 2019 presumably I'll soft land to 1K. I'll have to start thinking about another gig in 2010, but meanwhile this extracts roughly max value from the system.

The PP process is baroque and arduous at times, especially reaching humans. I think our little accounts are very small for them, and they may well get paid partly on commission, so I feel like they spend their time focusing on larger corporate deals. But it is still worth it, at least for now.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
One more question. I know GS allows you to use some upgrades on a broader class of fares than are published. Does anyone know if this applies to GPUs on international fare classes that are below for Y>J and to cheap fares for J>F?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 5khours
One more question. I know GS allows you to use some upgrades on a broader class of fares than are published. Does anyone know if this applies to GPUs on international fare classes that are below for Y>J and to cheap fares for J>F?
GS GPUs are easier to clear, but they have the same fare class requirements as 1K GPUs.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
GS GPUs are easier to clear, but they have the same fare class requirements as 1K GPUs.
True for "paid" fares. Plus GS can also use their GPUs on award tickets from their account (including upgrading I/IN into ON) - GS benefits wiki
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
PassPlus enrollment bonus

Just showed up in my inbox. I'm a $12k 120k EQM 1k. The $25k is likely too rich for me.

Enjoy a travel fund bonus of up to $12,000 in your United PassPlus account after you sign up using any American Express Card. Sign up between January 1, 2018 and March 31, 2018. Terms apply.*

$25k $4k bonus
$75k $7k bonus
$100k $12k bonus
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by skylane
Just showed up in my inbox. I'm a $12k 120k EQM 1k. The $25k is likely too rich for me.

Enjoy a travel fund bonus of up to $12,000 in your United PassPlus account after you sign up using any American Express Card. Sign up between January 1, 2018 and March 31, 2018. Terms apply.*

$25k $4k bonus
$75k $7k bonus
$100k $12k bonus
Wow, that's an incredible deal! I may have to consider that for this year...

Was there a link in the email? If so, can you share it?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Wow, that's an incredible deal! I may have to consider that for this year...

Was there a link in the email? If so, can you share it?
I have not gotten this offer but this could be a deal maker for me at the $50K level. Does anyone know if the bonus cash has to be used by ONLY the Pass Plus account holder?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:51 pm

Sorry to be a noob here, but I also got the email from Amex and I want to jump on this as I have a bunch of flying to do. But what if I never use the 50K in the first year, does it die? Or do the dollars live on, like Travel Bank money? I think, from what I read, that it will give me the contract, plus the status I "buy", for the first year. After that, it will fall back to money - like travel bank money, but no status or the such without a new contract - is that correct???
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC SE, WJ Gold
Also got the message. I spent $43k last year between AA and UA...mostly flying UA now this year so I am tempted to consider what they offer.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got the email as well.

It's a link (https://www.passplus.united.com/requestinfo) and a promo code (AX018). No idea whether there's any follow up to determine eligibility.

Was momentarily tempted, but the reality is I shouldn't need to spend more than $20k all in on airfare this year, so would be paying around $30k just for GS.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by raccah
But what if I never use the 50K in the first year, does it die?...
Use it or lose it. You have to spend the money within a year and fly it within 13 months. UNLESS, you extend by paying for another year (at any level) or pay (I forget the amount) to have it extended.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I have literally trying to buy this for a month and cannot get anyone to call me or email me back? What am I missing?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
I have literally trying to buy this for a month and cannot get anyone to call me or email me back? What am I missing?
The PassPlus sales reps are notoriously slow to respond. You just have to keep trying.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
Been over a month for me as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.