Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Pass Plus Flex

Updated website links... (note: the older links below still work)
Main Page (Individual, Small/Mid-Size Businesses, Corporate)
Page for Individuals

The United Pass Plus Flex program is a prepaid travel program that offers discounts on purchased tickets from United and a variety of partners and certain Premier benefits upfront.

Find out more about the program here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Watch a video about the program here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kZNbl-CPxRk

Contact the Pass Plus Team:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515 Attempted to call on 12/1/23 and voicemail indicates the phone line is no longer answered with instructions to email the [email protected].
- Option 1 for Customer Service
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast)

Email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Note: Email is highly unreliable. I recommend leaving a voicemail with your regional sales manager and they will call you back within 2-3 business days.

Online Form:
Fill this out and they will contact you: https://hub.united.com/en-us/Connect....aspx?mobile=0

Account Types and Stipulations

The United Pass Plus Flex program comes in 2 varieties: Individual and Corporate. The Individual accounts have a minimum investment of $25,000 and the corporate accounts have a minimum of $50,000. These funds are put into a UATP (Universal Air Travel Plan - http://www.uatp.com/) Account and you are given a debit card (just the credentials, no actual card) to be used for purchasing United and Partner Tickets (plus many other things, outlined below). These funds are to be used over the course of 1 year from when the contract is signed.
  • Individuals are allowed 1 additional deposit into their account throughout the 1 year contract without a fee, and corporate accounts are allowed up to three. Any additional deposits are charged a 5% fee.
  • The use of the funds can be extended without renewing the contract for up to 2 additional months for a fee of $600.
  • Contracts can be renewed for the following year starting in month 10 of current contract.
  • Any remaining funds in your account will carry over into the next year, but will have no bearing on the following years contract benefits (discussed below).
  • If funds remain in your account at the end of the contract and you decide to not renew, United is entitled to whatever remains in your account.
  • All travel purchased with your funds must be completed before 30 days after your end-of-contract date.
  • Individual plans are for a single person (the account holder). However, beginning in 2019, travel can include one companion provided the travel is booked under the same record as the account holder. Accounts are audited frequently.

Discount Levels

These can be seen in a better format here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Domestic - Excluding IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

Domestic - Including IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

International - Excluding Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 20% (G) and 2% (D & Z) off published fares

International - Including Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares (D and Z only)

Note: All published fares from United and it's partners (even outside below listed partners) are eligible to be purchased with UATP travel funds.

Investment Levels

Individual Plans
  • Minimum $25,000 - Complimentary Premier Gold
  • $35,000 - Complimentary Premier Platinum
  • $45,000 - Complimentary Premier 1K
  • $50,000 - Complimentary Global Services - Possibly negotiable in 2021 - Contact UA PP Sales - any accounts funded after 1/1/2024 must now be at least $75,000

Note: All Premier levels will be granted as soon as the contract is signed and the funds are verified.

Note: All Premier levels receive their associated amenities (RPU, GPU, etc...) if and only if the status is an upgrade from previous Premier status. For example, a current Premier 1K that invests $45,000 will not receive additional RPU/GPU's. However a Premier Gold that invests $45,000 will receive the upgrade certs.

Corporate Plans
  • Minimum $50,000 - 1x Premier Gold, 1x Premier Silver, 4x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $100,000 - 1x Premier Platinum, 2x Premier Gold, 3x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $300,000 - 1x Premier 1K, 1x Premier Platinum, 3 Premier Gold, 6x United Club Annual Memberships

Additional levels receive different numbers of Premier members. Contact your sales manager for more information on these levels.

Funding Your Investment

The following payment methods are able to be used to fund the initial investment:
  • Bank Transfer to United
  • Check via Fed-Ex
  • Check via Snail Mail
  • Credit Cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve gets 3X credit)

Fund Usage

The funds that are invested in your UATP account can be used for the following purchases:
  • Airfare + taxes on the following airlines:
    - United
    - United Express
    - ANA (All Nippon Airlines)
    - Austrian Airlines
    - Brussels Airlines
    - Lufthansa
    - Swiss International Airline
  • Wifi onboard the aircraft
  • ANY ancillary purchases from United, including the following:
    - Baggage fees (if done via online check-in)
    - Change fees
    - Upgrade fees (including mileage + copay)
    - Award and Premier Accelerator purchases
    - TOD purchases
    - Any subscriptions services (United.com Club, Baggage subscription, Economy Plus subscription, etc...)
    - Purchases of reedemable miles
    - Anything from United not requiring a physical payment method

Note: When purchasing anything with your UATP funds, you may not split payment. You must be able to fully fund the purchase using your UATP account or else another payment method should be used.
  • There are some reports that travel vouchers and your Travel Bank funds can be used as a partial payment in combination with the UATP account.

Other Information
  • Discount on Hertz rentals available for Pass Plus members. Funds from UATP account cannot be used for rentals.
  • Booking of tickets can be done via United.com, through the Pass Plus reservations office, or through your travel agent. Booking through the Mobile app is not yet possible.
  • Booking via a TA may result in a non-016 ticket and impact RDM earnings

Archive: United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
I'm a first time UA P2 Secure customer finding out that bookings for Feb 2024 under a Mar 2023 contract don't show up using the online tools. Is this something I need to call in about or is there a trick to booking flights after 12/31/2023?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Apr 13, 2023, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Any updates on this? How does granting status work? Can it be gifted to anyone in the company?
I am new to my membership, but I think I have a pretty good handle on it, so I'm happy to try to answer questions.

You can purchase status using your amenity points. As best I can tell, you could gift the status to anyone. I haven't done anything with status yet (and I'm not sure I will) but when I purchased a Club membership using amenity points, the website just asked for their FF number, and it immediately reflected their membership in the app. I'd imagine purchasing status works in a very similar way. Status doesn't come cheap, though. It starts at $2500 amenity points for silver, and goes up from there (IIRC, the levels are $2500, $5000, $7500, $15000). However, you only need to pay the difference between where you are and where you want to end up (e.g., if you're silver and want Platinum, it would only cost $5000). IMHO, it is interesting how much of a premium they put on 1K over Platinum. Arguably, the 1K pricing is irrational -- the buy-in to get enough amenity points for 1K could get you GS, PLUS additional amenity points to use on other things.

Originally Posted by sfosin
Confirming I earned 3x the points on CSR. It is true that Amex Platinum doesn't recognize it as airfare (since it isn't). But CSR recognizes as travel (which it is).
For those interested, it earned the 3x for travel on the Costco Visa.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2023 at 8:30 pm Reason: merged consecutive post by same member
Old May 2, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I can't seem to find the details on the term of Pass Plus GS status. A while back, if you bought in June (or July), the GS status would extend through the following year. I.e. you buy July 2023, and status lasts through Jan. 2025. I recall hearing that may have changed. Anyone know? cheers!
Old May 3, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I can't seem to find the details on the term of Pass Plus GS status. A while back, if you bought in June (or July), the GS status would extend through the following year. I.e. you buy July 2023, and status lasts through Jan. 2025. I recall hearing that may have changed. Anyone know? cheers!
According to my rep, the GS status ends when the contract ends.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just curious - if one gets GS through PassPlus, is that extended to MM companion for duration of contract? I would think it would be.
Old May 3, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Just curious - if one gets GS through PassPlus, is that extended to MM companion for duration of contract? I would think it would be.
Yes.
SPN Lifer and immaculate like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Two questions:

1. Can one use Pass Plus funds to a fund your United Travelbank? If so, couldnt you extend your funds over 5 years without extending the contract? Seems like you can use for anything on United (fees, redeemable miles, etc.) so curious why Travelbank wouldnt count?

2. If you make the initial investment of $50k and get GS, can you renew your contract the following year for just $10k and still keep GS or would that get reset to a lower status?

Last edited by PrivatePilot; May 8, 2023 at 7:28 pm
Old May 8, 2023, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Two questions:

1. Can one use Pass Plus funds to a fund your United Travelbank? If so, couldnt you extend your funds over 5 years without extending the contract? Seems like you can use for anything on United (fees, redeemable miles, etc.) so curious why Travelbank wouldnt count?

2. If you make the initial investment of $50k and get GS, can you renew your contract the following year for just $10k and still keep GS or would that get reset to a lower status?
1) NO - the funds are in a UATP account and you're to purchase travel and pay fees out of it. When you put money into a United Travebank, you are not buying or paying for anything - you'd be just shifting the $ from one "wallet" to another..
2) Nice try. Think about it: if that was available, it would be a widely-disseminated hack and there would be tens of thousands more GS. UA is smarter than that.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 8, 2023 at 11:40 pm
Old May 8, 2023, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
2) Nice try. Think about it: if that was available, it would be a widely-disseminated hack and there would be tens of thousands more GS. UA is smarter than that.
And UA would have shut the door awhile back anyway.

David
Old May 9, 2023, 6:45 am

1) NO - the funds are in a UATP account and you're to purchase travel and pay fees out of it. When you put money into a United Travebank, you are not buying or paying for anything - you'd be just shifting the $ from one "wallet" to another..
Re #1, I think it is clearly against the spirit of the rules, but it may work to preserve the the validity of the funds, since once they're moved into the TravelBank they should be good for five years. Don't forget, the UATP essentially functions like a credit card, so you'd be "buying" TravelBank funds just as you do when using a regular credit card.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Ran across this thread. Am very interested in PassPlus. Unfortunately, it seems be for business only. I do not own a business. How does an individual sign up for this program?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Ran across this thread. Am very interested in PassPlus. Unfortunately, it seems be for business only. I do not own a business. How does an individual sign up for this program?
where do you see this is for businesses only? This is available to individuals.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
From the wiki above:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast.

While it may be a good fit for business flyers any one get buy into it as was noted above. I looked into it a few years back myself for my own business I never pulled the trigger on the deal I was offered.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
where do you see this is for businesses only? This is available to individuals.
The request for information form has required fields for business information.

Originally Posted by nomad420
From the wiki above:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast.

While it may be a good fit for business flyers any one get buy into it as was noted above. I looked into it a few years back myself for my own business I never pulled the trigger on the deal I was offered.
Thanks.. This is a no brainer if I can use the funds for a companions. Unfortunately, been IAH based. There are no domestic discounts.

Just called the number in the Wiki. It is no longer monitored by UA. All is now done by email. I went ahead and fill out the request for information form. Hopefully someone will contract me in 5 business days.

Is it possible to sign up for the program without going through a sales person?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2023 at 2:00 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: Frequent AA Flyer
Just called the number in the Wiki. It is no longer monitored by UA. All is now done by email. I went ahead and fill out the request for information form. Hopefully someone will contract me in 5 business days
I've considered exploring Pass Plus as a possible replacement for Airpass, but if they truly offer no way to speak with anyone over the phone, that's a bit concerning, as it was always very easy to reach someone in the Airpass department directly for any questions or concerns. Having to wait 5 days do get a response from a web form inquiry does not seem like a great way to start a business relationship.

Does any know if after you become a member of Pass Plus, are you then able to reach someone directly by phone if necessary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.