Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Pass Plus Flex

Updated website links... (note: the older links below still work)
Main Page (Individual, Small/Mid-Size Businesses, Corporate)
Page for Individuals

The United Pass Plus Flex program is a prepaid travel program that offers discounts on purchased tickets from United and a variety of partners and certain Premier benefits upfront.

Find out more about the program here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Watch a video about the program here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kZNbl-CPxRk

Contact the Pass Plus Team:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515 Attempted to call on 12/1/23 and voicemail indicates the phone line is no longer answered with instructions to email the [email protected].
- Option 1 for Customer Service
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast)

Email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Note: Email is highly unreliable. I recommend leaving a voicemail with your regional sales manager and they will call you back within 2-3 business days.

Online Form:
Fill this out and they will contact you: https://hub.united.com/en-us/Connect....aspx?mobile=0

Account Types and Stipulations

The United Pass Plus Flex program comes in 2 varieties: Individual and Corporate. The Individual accounts have a minimum investment of $25,000 and the corporate accounts have a minimum of $50,000. These funds are put into a UATP (Universal Air Travel Plan - http://www.uatp.com/) Account and you are given a debit card (just the credentials, no actual card) to be used for purchasing United and Partner Tickets (plus many other things, outlined below). These funds are to be used over the course of 1 year from when the contract is signed.
  • Individuals are allowed 1 additional deposit into their account throughout the 1 year contract without a fee, and corporate accounts are allowed up to three. Any additional deposits are charged a 5% fee.
  • The use of the funds can be extended without renewing the contract for up to 2 additional months for a fee of $600.
  • Contracts can be renewed for the following year starting in month 10 of current contract.
  • Any remaining funds in your account will carry over into the next year, but will have no bearing on the following years contract benefits (discussed below).
  • If funds remain in your account at the end of the contract and you decide to not renew, United is entitled to whatever remains in your account.
  • All travel purchased with your funds must be completed before 30 days after your end-of-contract date.
  • Individual plans are for a single person (the account holder). However, beginning in 2019, travel can include one companion provided the travel is booked under the same record as the account holder. Accounts are audited frequently.

Discount Levels

These can be seen in a better format here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Domestic - Excluding IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

Domestic - Including IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

International - Excluding Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 20% (G) and 2% (D & Z) off published fares

International - Including Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares (D and Z only)

Note: All published fares from United and it's partners (even outside below listed partners) are eligible to be purchased with UATP travel funds.

Investment Levels

Individual Plans
  • Minimum $25,000 - Complimentary Premier Gold
  • $35,000 - Complimentary Premier Platinum
  • $45,000 - Complimentary Premier 1K
  • $50,000 - Complimentary Global Services - Possibly negotiable in 2021 - Contact UA PP Sales - any accounts funded after 1/1/2024 must now be at least $75,000

Note: All Premier levels will be granted as soon as the contract is signed and the funds are verified.

Note: All Premier levels receive their associated amenities (RPU, GPU, etc...) if and only if the status is an upgrade from previous Premier status. For example, a current Premier 1K that invests $45,000 will not receive additional RPU/GPU's. However a Premier Gold that invests $45,000 will receive the upgrade certs.

Corporate Plans
  • Minimum $50,000 - 1x Premier Gold, 1x Premier Silver, 4x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $100,000 - 1x Premier Platinum, 2x Premier Gold, 3x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $300,000 - 1x Premier 1K, 1x Premier Platinum, 3 Premier Gold, 6x United Club Annual Memberships

Additional levels receive different numbers of Premier members. Contact your sales manager for more information on these levels.

Funding Your Investment

The following payment methods are able to be used to fund the initial investment:
  • Bank Transfer to United
  • Check via Fed-Ex
  • Check via Snail Mail
  • Credit Cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve gets 3X credit)

Fund Usage

The funds that are invested in your UATP account can be used for the following purchases:
  • Airfare + taxes on the following airlines:
    - United
    - United Express
    - ANA (All Nippon Airlines)
    - Austrian Airlines
    - Brussels Airlines
    - Lufthansa
    - Swiss International Airline
  • Wifi onboard the aircraft
  • ANY ancillary purchases from United, including the following:
    - Baggage fees (if done via online check-in)
    - Change fees
    - Upgrade fees (including mileage + copay)
    - Award and Premier Accelerator purchases
    - TOD purchases
    - Any subscriptions services (United.com Club, Baggage subscription, Economy Plus subscription, etc...)
    - Purchases of reedemable miles
    - Anything from United not requiring a physical payment method

Note: When purchasing anything with your UATP funds, you may not split payment. You must be able to fully fund the purchase using your UATP account or else another payment method should be used.
  • There are some reports that travel vouchers and your Travel Bank funds can be used as a partial payment in combination with the UATP account.

Other Information
  • Discount on Hertz rentals available for Pass Plus members. Funds from UATP account cannot be used for rentals.
  • Booking of tickets can be done via United.com, through the Pass Plus reservations office, or through your travel agent. Booking through the Mobile app is not yet possible.
  • Booking via a TA may result in a non-016 ticket and impact RDM earnings

Archive: United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by Vaisart
Hello everyone,

After digging into relevant information for months, I’ve finally registered in United JetStream and considering to get a UnitedPassPlus.

I have a few questions which’ve never got answered by sales reps, or I couldn’t find online. I read entire thread here and couldn’t find my answers either.

Below some questions about PassPlusFlex individual contract.

1. MileagePlus status amenities: when is nominated status set to expire?

Depends on the amenity. Club lasts 12 months from when you "purchase" amenity (plus the days intra month). All MP status' last thru program year (1/31).

Calendar/United year or last day of the contract? I understand that assigned status from initial investment will expire together with the contract (for example GS from 50K investment).

Wrong. Status thru MP program year. UNUSED amenity funds do expire 12 months from the date of contract, so must be assigned before then.

But what about statuses for nominated accounts which were purchased from amenity list? Or is it the same thing? Same

2. Are prorated prices for amenities stackable with UA statues granted from partners? For example my spouse can have a free UA Silver from Marriott Titanium. Theoretically, I'll need only $5000 of amenity funds to upgrade her to Platinum instead of $7500, as she would already have her UA Silver from Marriott. Anyone has experience here?

Yes. First get spouse Silver. Once established, JetStream should only charge the delta between her current and desired status.

3. My understanding that I can use funds only for myself plus one member, that’s clear.

Wrong. Recently changed. Suggest you talk to your sales rep.

What about travel certificates which can be issued as in equivalent of the remaining unused funds?

Can't be done the way you phrased it.

Are those certs can be only attached to account holder +1 member or they could be used by anyone?

As with all travel credits, they stay in the same name and must be used for original traveler.

In my case, besides me and my spouse, we are mostly traveling to our contracts with 2 kids, often accompanied by family members. If I can convert my funds to certificates, my initial investment can be much, much larger.. Also, somebody mentioned here that those certs has validity for 5 years. True?

No. 1 year from original ticket date.

4. About discounts. Can I get 20% off in LH class G (intl) if I book it directly with Lufthansa rep over the phone/online or it has to be done only via UA Jet Stream? Class G is eligible for PP upgrades only if ticketed by LH. I also hope there’re no issues with upgrades since it’s discounted..
If the answer is "can only purchase 016 tickets", then is it possible to call and convert it to LH later?

Can't help. Sorry

Thank you very much for your answers and safe travels!

Viktor
SPN Lifer and Vaisart like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
4. About discounts. Can I get 20% off in LH class G (intl) if I book it directly with Lufthansa rep over the phone/online or it has to be done only via UA Jet Stream? Class G is eligible for PP upgrades only if ticketed by LH. I also hope there’re no issues with upgrades since it’s discounted..
If the answer is "can only purchase 016 tickets", then is it possible to call and convert it to LH later?
You can ticket on Lufthansa ticket stock, but as far as I know you must use a travel agent to do so (at least with the discount)--there isn't a PassPlus reservations phone number or website for Lufthansa. Are you sure that G can't be upgraded on a 016 ticket? My understanding is that it can, but if it's booked as a UA codeshare you'll have to have it reissued by a phone agent into LH prime inventory. (There are several success reports in the LH upgrade thread.)
Vaisart likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 4:13 pm

DKC715, SYKES thank you for your replies!
Regarding G - yes, I am sure it can't be upgraded on LH metal under 016 using PP. However I just don't know if a phone agent can reissue it as LH inventory, since it has special 20% discount applied. Wondering if anyone've done it this way. To me this discount could be a dealbreaker, as I am mostly upgrading my TATL flights from A on UA metal or G on LH.
dkc715 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
DKC715, SYKES thank you for your replies!
Regarding G - yes, I am sure it can't be upgraded on LH metal under 016 using PP. However I just don't know if a phone agent can reissue it as LH inventory, since it has special 20% discount applied. Wondering if anyone've done it this way. To me this discount could be a dealbreaker, as I am mostly upgrading my TATL flights from A on UA metal or G on LH.
Can you double check on upgrading an LH flight in G ticketed under 016? There is no such restriction in the terms and conditions unless the 20% discount is causing something funky:
  1. Upgradeable fare classes: This upgrade is subject to availability. The following Lufthansa fare classes are not eligible for upgrade: Z, P, V, W, S, T, N, L, K, R, X, I, O, ID, AD and IP. Lufthansa reserves the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.
  2. Non-upgradeable tickets: The upgrade may not be used on any MileagePlus award ticket, Miles & More award ticket or any other frequent flyer award ticket, industry discount ticket (ID, AD and IP fares), or on tickets purchased on websites where you don’t know the exact flight itinerary or airline until after you’ve paid for the ticket. Please also note that U.S. government fares are not eligible for electronic PlusPoints upgrades on Lufthansa-operated flights.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Novel approach into Pass Plus account funding

Looking at an individual Pass Plus account for the minimum $10K purchase. The contract provided describes using a payment option using a credit card on JP Morgan Online Payment Portal.

So, here is my question for those who have done this:
(1) Can I use a Chase Sapphire Reserve card to purchase the 10K Pass Plus funding of the contract?
(2) Will the purchase on that card qualify for Chase UR points?
(3) Will this charge be considered a credit card purchase of will it be subjected to the "Cash" provisions that start earning interest the moment the transactions occur.

I could call Chase, but their CS folks probably aren't familiar with this program or the nuances of the transaction propsed here. Hence I'm asking if there are and Flyertalkers out there who have gone through this particular approach,

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS; AF Plat; AA EXP
Originally Posted by cyborg
Looking at an individual Pass Plus account for the minimum $10K purchase. The contract provided describes using a payment option using a credit card on JP Morgan Online Payment Portal.

So, here is my question for those who have done this:
(1) Can I use a Chase Sapphire Reserve card to purchase the 10K Pass Plus funding of the contract?
(2) Will the purchase on that card qualify for Chase UR points?
(3) Will this charge be considered a credit card purchase of will it be subjected to the "Cash" provisions that start earning interest the moment the transactions occur.

I could call Chase, but their CS folks probably aren't familiar with this program or the nuances of the transaction propsed here. Hence I'm asking if there are and Flyertalkers out there who have gone through this particular approach,

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Yes, yes, and no (it is counted as a credit card purchase).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:51 pm

Awesome, many thanks!

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
One note, though, is that these deposits were coded as standard purchases rather than airfare for me, so no point bonuses.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
One note, though, is that these deposits were coded as standard purchases rather than airfare for me, so no point bonuses.
Copy that, thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
This is true for Amex and other issuers I've tried, but have had luck with Chase (UA Club @ 4x and Sapphire Reserve @ 3x). You can always test it out by loading $5, waiting a few days, and seeing how your points materialize, before funding the entire contract.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS; AF Plat; AA EXP
Originally Posted by akonradi
This is true for Amex and other issuers I've tried, but have had luck with Chase (UA Club @ 4x and Sapphire Reserve @ 3x). You can always test it out by loading $5, waiting a few days, and seeing how your points materialize, before funding the entire contract.
Confirming I earned 3x the points on CSR. It is true that Amex Platinum doesn't recognize it as airfare (since it isn't). But CSR recognizes as travel (which it is).

Edit: I was trying to find the statement via Chase. Unfortunately Chase doesn't show UR earnings per transaction when you go back far. But in this statement, I had spent around $80k in travel this month (including $50k PP purchase). And I earned ~240k UR points.

Last edited by sfosin; Mar 3, 2023 at 8:11 am Reason: Adding image.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Any recent data points regarding PassPlus Exec? I'm looking for general info and impressions to see if it is something I should consider. I would be using it only for domestic travel, and would consider investing enough to get GS.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
Last I heard PassPluss Exec is no more. Do you know otherwise?
Old Mar 5, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Oregonflyer
Last I heard PassPluss Exec is no more. Do you know otherwise?
It's on their website and I requested further information about it, and I received an email reply with a little bit of info (nothing I didn't already know) and an offer to setup a phone call to discuss. I will post back after the call later this week.

I do have a slide deck dated March 2023 talking about PassPlus Exec, so it seems to still exist. I am still waiting to learn more and will update when I have something to share.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2023 at 11:32 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 12, 2023, 5:22 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ikwia
It's on their website and I requested further information about it, and I received an email reply with a little bit of info (nothing I didn't already know) and an offer to setup a phone call to discuss. I will post back after the call later this week.

I do have a slide deck dated March 2023 talking about PassPlus Exec, so it seems to still exist. I am still waiting to learn more and will update when I have something to share.
Any updates on this? How does granting status work? Can it be gifted to anyone in the company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.