Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 7, 21, 11:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pseudoswede
Wiki Link
United Pass Plus Flex

Updated website links... (note: the older links below still work)
Main Page (Individual, Small/Mid-Size Businesses, Corporate)
Page for Individuals

All information is current as of October 30th, 2015.

The United Pass Plus Flex program is a prepaid travel program that offers discounts on purchased tickets from United and a variety of partners and certain Premier benefits upfront.

Find out more about the program here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Watch a video about the program here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kZNbl-CPxRk

Contact the Pass Plus Team:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515
- Option 1 for Customer Service
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast)

Email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Note: Email is highly unreliable. I recommend leaving a voicemail with your regional sales manager and they will call you back within 2-3 business days.

Online Form:
Fill this out and they will contact you: https://hub.united.com/en-us/Connect....aspx?mobile=0

Account Types and Stipulations

The United Pass Plus Flex program comes in 2 varieties: Individual and Corporate. The Individual accounts have a minimum investment of $25,000 and the corporate accounts have a minimum of $50,000. These funds are put into a UATP (Universal Air Travel Plan - http://www.uatp.com/) Account and you are given a debit card (just the credentials, no actual card) to be used for purchasing United and Partner Tickets (plus many other things, outlined below). These funds are to be used over the course of 1 year from when the contract is signed.
  • Individuals are allowed 1 additional deposit into their account throughout the 1 year contract without a fee, and corporate accounts are allowed up to three. Any additional deposits are charged a 5% fee.
  • The use of the funds can be extended without renewing the contract for up to 2 additional months for a fee of $600.
  • Contracts can be renewed for the following year starting in month 10 of current contract.
  • Any remaining funds in your account will carry over into the next year, but will have no bearing on the following years contract benefits (discussed below).
  • If funds remain in your account at the end of the contract and you decide to not renew, United is entitled to whatever remains in your account.
  • All travel purchased with your funds must be completed before 30 days after your end-of-contract date.
  • Individual plans are for a single person (the account holder). However, beginning in 2019, travel can include one companion provided the travel is booked under the same record as the account holder. Accounts are audited frequently.

Discount Levels

These can be seen in a better format here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Domestic - Excluding IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

Domestic - Including IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

International - Excluding Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 20% (G) and 2% (D & Z) off published fares

International - Including Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares (D and Z only)

Note: All published fares from United and it's partners (even outside below listed partners) are eligible to be purchased with UATP travel funds.

Investment Levels

Individual Plans
  • Minimum $25,000 - Complimentary Premier Gold
  • $35,000 - Complimentary Premier Platinum
  • $45,000 - Complimentary Premier 1K
  • $50,000 - Complimentary Global Services - Possibly negotiable in 2021 - Contact UA PP Sales

Note: All Premier levels will be granted as soon as the contract is signed and the funds are verified.

Note: All Premier levels receive their associated amenities (RPU, GPU, etc...) if and only if the status is an upgrade from previous Premier status. For example, a current Premier 1K that invests $45,000 will not receive additional RPU/GPU's. However a Premier Gold that invests $45,000 will receive the upgrade certs.

Corporate Plans
  • Minimum $50,000 - 1x Premier Gold, 1x Premier Silver, 4x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $100,000 - 1x Premier Platinum, 2x Premier Gold, 3x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $300,000 - 1x Premier 1K, 1x Premier Platinum, 3 Premier Gold, 6x United Club Annual Memberships

Additional levels receive different numbers of Premier members. Contact your sales manager for more information on these levels.

Funding Your Investment

The following payment methods are able to be used to fund the initial investment:
  • Bank Transfer to United
  • Check via Fed-Ex
  • Check via Snail Mail
  • Credit Cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve gets 3X credit)

Fund Usage

The funds that are invested in your UATP account can be used for the following purchases:
  • Airfare + taxes on the following airlines:
    - United
    - United Express
    - ANA (All Nippon Airlines)
    - Austrian Airlines
    - Brussels Airlines
    - Lufthansa
    - Swiss International Airline
  • Wifi onboard the aircraft
  • ANY ancillary purchases from United, including the following:
    - Baggage fees (if done via online check-in)
    - Change fees
    - Upgrade fees (including mileage + copay)
    - Award and Premier Accelerator purchases
    - TOD purchases
    - Any subscriptions services (United.com Club, Baggage subscription, Economy Plus subscription, etc...)
    - Purchases of reedemable miles
    - Anything from United not requiring a physical payment method

Note: When purchasing anything with your UATP funds, you may not split payment. You must be able to fully fund the purchase using your UATP account or else another payment method should be used.
  • There are some reports that travel vouchers and your Travel Bank funds can be used as a partial payment in combination with the UATP account.

Other Information
  • Discount on Hertz rentals available for Pass Plus members. Funds from UATP account cannot be used for rentals.
  • Booking of tickets can be done via United.com, through the Pass Plus reservations office, or through your travel agent. Booking through the Mobile app is not yet possible.
    • Booking via a TA may result in a non-016 ticket and impact RDM earnings
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 20, 6:21 am

Programs: AA: CK
Does anyone know what the pricing looks like for EWR-SFO transcons in Business under PassPlus? Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 20, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by thismyninja View Post
It worked for me - came to my email inbox within a minute or so of requesting through the Jetstream site. I appreciate how easy they made the process through the Jetstream website.
OK, I've been following PassPlus for a while, but it doesn't make sense for a $25k/year 1K member, unless I'm able to roll over that extra 25k for the next year to achieve GS for one of those years.

I can no longer find information about status per prepaid $$ on the new business.united or jetstream site (haven't signed up yet). Is it functionally the same as years past?

The reason I am replying to this particular post is the indication of purchasing travel certificates (vouchers) with "amenities". Does this mean I can purchase these using my own funds in an individual account? And if so, what is the expiration date?

Thanks much!
Old Feb 29, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM/MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
UATP Card

Can anyone answer this? With Pass Plus, you apparently get a UATP card. Can I use that UATP card anywhere a UATP card is accepted? Im getting mixed answers from United. It seems I could use it against the pass plus balance to buy tickets for an entire family on the United website. It also seems I could use it to buy tickets on other airlines. Does anyone know if its specifically locked down in a way that it can only be used on United, or only used for a total of two fliers at once? (I know the discount would only apply through jet stream, but to use the funds, it seems there would be no restrictions. Is this flawed logic?!)

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
You should read your contract. The UATP card will work on many different airlines, but in all of the contracts I've read, you are contractually obligated to only use the funds for the airlines covered by your contract. As a travel agent I've gotten debit memos when I accidentally used the card for other airlines, but I have no idea what happens if you try to use it on, say, delta.com. The contract I have says that United will charge you a $500 penalty per occurrence if you do, but your contract may be different.

For corporate agreement, anyone traveling on behalf of the company for the purpose of conducting company business is eligible. I'm not sure who is eligible to use the personal accounts.
Old Feb 29, 20, 6:43 pm

I would love to read a contract, if only the rep would send one.

I appreciate your response — it’s very helpful. Let me ask you this: if I wanted to use the UATP for a family of four on the United.com website — not trying to use any pass plus discount — would it work?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 1, 20, 5:09 am

Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/2MM, But I'm a "Diamond Guest"
Originally Posted by aic2020 View Post
I would love to read a contract, if only the rep would send one.

I appreciate your response its very helpful. Let me ask you this: if I wanted to use the UATP for a family of four on the United.com website not trying to use any pass plus discount would it work?

Thanks again.
it is not allowed by the contract. Whether it might go through initially and you get penalized later is an open question
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by aic2020 View Post
Can anyone answer this? With Pass Plus, you apparently get a UATP card. Can I use that UATP card anywhere a UATP card is accepted? Im getting mixed answers from United. It seems I could use it against the pass plus balance to buy tickets for an entire family on the United website. It also seems I could use it to buy tickets on other airlines. Does anyone know if its specifically locked down in a way that it can only be used on United, or only used for a total of two fliers at once? (I know the discount would only apply through jet stream, but to use the funds, it seems there would be no restrictions. Is this flawed logic?!)

Thanks in advance.
There is some discussion that starts at about post #104 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25643803-post104.html) and goes on for a few posts that might help. Based on Sykes' post, it appears the penalties have gotten much bigger.
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
What's happening with PassPlus members and the Pandemic?

If I committed to $50k/person at the start of this year, I'd be in really, really bad shape.

Are they allowing roll-overs into 2021 or refunds in 2020?
Old Mar 18, 20, 4:04 pm

I had the contract literally sitting on my desk. It’s now in the trash.
Old Mar 18, 20, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
What's happening with PassPlus members and the Pandemic?

If I committed to $50k/person at the start of this year, I'd be in really, really bad shape.

Are they allowing roll-overs into 2021 or refunds in 2020?
This is looking really bad. I have an individual PP account with a fairly large balance, because I haven't bought that many tickets.

Right now, I'm looking at booking a bunch of tickets before the end of the month just to use up all the funds. In the case of bankruptcy, I think I'll be better off with paid tickets than a UATP balance.

Edit: I mean in the case of UAL's bankruptcy, not mine.
Old Mar 28, 20, 8:26 pm

Pass Plus balance

I have fairly large Pass Plus balances, both for flights and the amenity account. The Pass Plus contract is on a use-it-or-lose-it basis. So I'm wondering if anyone has talked to the elusive Pass Plus folks about whether United might extend the deadline for using the Pass Plus funds..

Right now, I'm thinking of just buying multiple tickets before April 1 and using the free change feature. This might also put me in a better place in the case of bankruptcy -- I suspect a paid ticket would rank higher than a Pass Plus balance in any settlement...
Old Mar 28, 20, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
I have fairly large Pass Plus balances, both for flights and the amenity account. The Pass Plus contract is on a use-it-or-lose-it basis. So I'm wondering if anyone has talked to the elusive Pass Plus folks about whether United might extend the deadline for using the Pass Plus funds..

Right now, I'm thinking of just buying multiple tickets before April 1 and using the free change feature. This might also put me in a better place in the case of bankruptcy -- I suspect a paid ticket would rank higher than a Pass Plus balance in any settlement...
Sounds like a good idea, a little forward thinking and being proactive. Why sit and wait and hope to be compensated when you can take direct action to cover yourself from potential loss?.As for bankruptcy I believe any talk of that is more than a little premature.
Old Mar 29, 20, 10:50 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk View Post
Sounds like a good idea, a little forward thinking and being proactive. Why sit and wait and hope to be compensated when you can take direct action to cover yourself from potential loss?.As for bankruptcy I believe any talk of that is more than a little premature.
Another option: take a look at your contract. If it is similar to mine, there is language allowing you to can cancel the contract if UA ceases to serve city pairs that account for at least 25% of your travel over a specified time period. For me, the absence of any service to HKG is a trigger. You may indeed qualify for a refund of your UATP balance. Of course, breaking the contract and requesting a refund may take weeks and you may also lose the amenities UA granted with the contract.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Mar 29, 20, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by dkc715 View Post
Another option: take a look at your contract. If it is similar to mine, there is language allowing you to can cancel the contract if UA ceases to serve city pairs that account for at least 25% of your travel over a specified time period.....
Thanks. That's a great tip, though I can't find any such language in my PassPlus Flex contract. Can you give me a hint about which section it's in?

I did see the following options:

1) Pay $600 to get a 2-month extension on the current contract
2) Add a minimum of $10,000 to the prepaid funds -- extending the current contract for a year.

Unfortunately, I doubt that my Chase Sapphire travel coverage or my Allianz travel insurance will help here either. If I can't get outright cancellation of the contract, I will probably go with option 2.
Old Mar 29, 20, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by porciuscato View Post
Thanks. That's a great tip, though I can't find any such language in my PassPlus Flex contract. Can you give me a hint about which section it's in?

I did see the following options:

1) Pay $600 to get a 2-month extension on the current contract
2) Add a minimum of $10,000 to the prepaid funds -- extending the current contract for a year.

Unfortunately, I doubt that my Chase Sapphire travel coverage or my Allianz travel insurance will help here either. If I can't get outright cancellation of the contract, I will probably go with option 2.
First page, under "Terms & Conditions", paragraph "m. Service". UA may argue that not flying to your city pairs is a temporary situation, and not permanent. At least it gives you something to try to get 6 months added to your UATP expiration date.

Good luck. LMK how they respond. I actually am surprised they haven't sent out any information to their Pass Plus holders. I have a hard time believing they will adhere to the expiration date.

Search this Thread