Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Pass Plus Flex

Updated website links... (note: the older links below still work)
Main Page (Individual, Small/Mid-Size Businesses, Corporate)
Page for Individuals

The United Pass Plus Flex program is a prepaid travel program that offers discounts on purchased tickets from United and a variety of partners and certain Premier benefits upfront.

Find out more about the program here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Watch a video about the program here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kZNbl-CPxRk

Contact the Pass Plus Team:

Phone:
1 (877) 357 - 4515 Attempted to call on 12/1/23 and voicemail indicates the phone line is no longer answered with instructions to email the [email protected].
- Option 1 for Customer Service
- Option 2 for Sales (then 2 for West Coast, 3 for Midwest, or 4 for Chicago and East-coast)

Email:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Note: Email is highly unreliable. I recommend leaving a voicemail with your regional sales manager and they will call you back within 2-3 business days.

Online Form:
Fill this out and they will contact you: https://hub.united.com/en-us/Connect....aspx?mobile=0

Account Types and Stipulations

The United Pass Plus Flex program comes in 2 varieties: Individual and Corporate. The Individual accounts have a minimum investment of $25,000 and the corporate accounts have a minimum of $50,000. These funds are put into a UATP (Universal Air Travel Plan - http://www.uatp.com/) Account and you are given a debit card (just the credentials, no actual card) to be used for purchasing United and Partner Tickets (plus many other things, outlined below). These funds are to be used over the course of 1 year from when the contract is signed.
  • Individuals are allowed 1 additional deposit into their account throughout the 1 year contract without a fee, and corporate accounts are allowed up to three. Any additional deposits are charged a 5% fee.
  • The use of the funds can be extended without renewing the contract for up to 2 additional months for a fee of $600.
  • Contracts can be renewed for the following year starting in month 10 of current contract.
  • Any remaining funds in your account will carry over into the next year, but will have no bearing on the following years contract benefits (discussed below).
  • If funds remain in your account at the end of the contract and you decide to not renew, United is entitled to whatever remains in your account.
  • All travel purchased with your funds must be completed before 30 days after your end-of-contract date.
  • Individual plans are for a single person (the account holder). However, beginning in 2019, travel can include one companion provided the travel is booked under the same record as the account holder. Accounts are audited frequently.

Discount Levels

These can be seen in a better format here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...plus/flex.aspx

Domestic - Excluding IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

Domestic - Including IAH
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 5% off published fares
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares

International - Excluding Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 20% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 20% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 20% (G) and 2% (D & Z) off published fares

International - Including Latin Destinations
  • Fares F, J, Y - 10% off published fares
  • Fares A, C, B, M, E, U, H - 10% off published fares (excluding U)
  • Fares D, Z, P, V, Q, W, S, T, L, K, G - 2% off published fares (D and Z only)

Note: All published fares from United and it's partners (even outside below listed partners) are eligible to be purchased with UATP travel funds.

Investment Levels

Individual Plans
  • Minimum $25,000 - Complimentary Premier Gold
  • $35,000 - Complimentary Premier Platinum
  • $45,000 - Complimentary Premier 1K
  • $50,000 - Complimentary Global Services - Possibly negotiable in 2021 - Contact UA PP Sales - any accounts funded after 1/1/2024 must now be at least $75,000

Note: All Premier levels will be granted as soon as the contract is signed and the funds are verified.

Note: All Premier levels receive their associated amenities (RPU, GPU, etc...) if and only if the status is an upgrade from previous Premier status. For example, a current Premier 1K that invests $45,000 will not receive additional RPU/GPU's. However a Premier Gold that invests $45,000 will receive the upgrade certs.

Corporate Plans
  • Minimum $50,000 - 1x Premier Gold, 1x Premier Silver, 4x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $100,000 - 1x Premier Platinum, 2x Premier Gold, 3x United Club Annual Memberships
  • $300,000 - 1x Premier 1K, 1x Premier Platinum, 3 Premier Gold, 6x United Club Annual Memberships

Additional levels receive different numbers of Premier members. Contact your sales manager for more information on these levels.

Funding Your Investment

The following payment methods are able to be used to fund the initial investment:
  • Bank Transfer to United
  • Check via Fed-Ex
  • Check via Snail Mail
  • Credit Cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve gets 3X credit)

Fund Usage

The funds that are invested in your UATP account can be used for the following purchases:
  • Airfare + taxes on the following airlines:
    - United
    - United Express
    - ANA (All Nippon Airlines)
    - Austrian Airlines
    - Brussels Airlines
    - Lufthansa
    - Swiss International Airline
  • Wifi onboard the aircraft
  • ANY ancillary purchases from United, including the following:
    - Baggage fees (if done via online check-in)
    - Change fees
    - Upgrade fees (including mileage + copay)
    - Award and Premier Accelerator purchases
    - TOD purchases
    - Any subscriptions services (United.com Club, Baggage subscription, Economy Plus subscription, etc...)
    - Purchases of reedemable miles
    - Anything from United not requiring a physical payment method

Note: When purchasing anything with your UATP funds, you may not split payment. You must be able to fully fund the purchase using your UATP account or else another payment method should be used.
  • There are some reports that travel vouchers and your Travel Bank funds can be used as a partial payment in combination with the UATP account.

Other Information
  • Discount on Hertz rentals available for Pass Plus members. Funds from UATP account cannot be used for rentals.
  • Booking of tickets can be done via United.com, through the Pass Plus reservations office, or through your travel agent. Booking through the Mobile app is not yet possible.
  • Booking via a TA may result in a non-016 ticket and impact RDM earnings

Archive: United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United (UA) Pass Plus Secure/ Flex -- Benefits, Value, Questions .... [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
You mean the pricing chart that has "prices subject to change" at the bottom of each section?
In a fair world, the chart displayed as you navigate through the contract before deciding to sign/fund should at least be "current" at the time of signing the contract. To show the 2020 pricing chart there is quite unethical/deceptive imo, but obviously from a legal POV, the most difficult part here is to prove intent.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Thank you for this notice IAH OT. It is encouraging that there appears to be a process in place. I'm not sure why I did not get an email, but I will be checking out JetStream on the 15th. Thanks again!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Thank you for this notice IAH OT. It is encouraging that there appears to be a process in place. I'm not sure why I did not get an email, but I will be checking out JetStream on the 15th. Thanks again!
Notice goes only to nominated account administrators (not necessarily status nominees), but if you have an individual acc't, should be you. And it comes from:

[email protected]

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 10, 2024 at 4:11 pm
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sfosin
FWIW, my GS nomination appeared in early Feb without having to talk to a human. I signed the original contract in Apr 2022, was GS through Jan 31, 2023, and received a new nomination in early Feb 2023. This was without funding the account again.

At $75k I’m really not sure if I’ll renew. There are just too many other great carriers (eg JAL F or AF F), and United doesn’t have a competitive international F product! It will be hard to spend $75k in one year. (Although I could spend it on LX F hmm…)
So did your status extend through Jan 2024? Trying to decide when to open a new 75k contract. Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Notice goes only to nominated account administrators (not necessarily status nominees), but if you have an individual acc't, should be you. And it comes from:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:55 pm

PassPlus Question

Hi! Is the United Club Membership that comes with the purchase of an Individual PassPlus at the GS level limited to the member only? or is it a regular United Club Membership that allows guests? When I purchased the PassPlus, I was told that the Club Membership was a regular membership, but when I tried to bring in a guest, I was told that guests were not permitted.

Does anyone have any experience with that?

thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColoradoFlyer1
Hi! Is the United Club Membership that comes with the purchase of an Individual PassPlus at the GS level limited to the member only? or is it a regular United Club Membership that allows guests? When I purchased the PassPlus, I was told that the Club Membership was a regular membership, but when I tried to bring in a guest, I was told that guests were not permitted.

Does anyone have any experience with that?

thanks.
GS get access, but not a membership. If you want access domestically w/ guesting privileges, you have to buy a Club Membership.

You don't seem to understand what you have given UA money for. You did not purchase anything with the money you sent United. You have set up a PassPlus Flex contract with United with an agreement to spend the deposited money with United. At various funding levels you are provided with an amenity list you can select from. At the $50k level ($75k this year) GS is an amenity you can choose, as well as a UC membership. If you choose GS status as an amenity (most do), the status in itself provides access, but NOT membership, to United Clubs. The Club membership on the amenity list is a regular membership available to you - if you select it.

United even spells out access based solely on GS status:
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 12, 2024 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
GS get access, but not a membership. If you want access domestically w/ guesting privileges, you have to buy a Club Membership.
Of course, one way to "buy" the Club Membership is using amenity funds -- that does get you a "standard" Club Membership, which includes guest privileges.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ikwia
Of course, one way to "buy" the Club Membership is using amenity funds -- that does get you a "standard" Club Membership, which includes guest privileges.
Yeah - as I pointed out in the post: "The Club membership on the amenity list is a regular membership available to you - if you select it"...
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Due to the increase in "prices" for the travel certificates, I have amenity funds that are basically useless to me.

a) has anyone had luck rolling over the amenity funds? (this is explicitly disallowed in the contract, but...)
b) can you extend a United Club membership for multiple years by "purchasing" and applying multiple Club memberships?
c) any other clever ideas how to use the funds?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Due to the increase in "prices" for the travel certificates, I have amenity funds that are basically useless to me.

a) has anyone had luck rolling over the amenity funds? (this is explicitly disallowed in the contract, but...)
b) can you extend a United Club membership for multiple years by "purchasing" and applying multiple Club memberships?
c) any other clever ideas how to use the funds?
The certificate prices were provided for viewing prior to signing of contract. Availability of amenities expire with contract term, but some amenities elected within the contract time frame may not - e.g. status. No - you cannot purchase UC memberships in advance.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:33 am

The certificate prices were provided for viewing prior to signing of contract.
And then they changed during the contract term.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:34 am

I feel you, and nor were those prices reflected at the time of signing the contract (which shows 2020 pricing) or on the current Amenity Price List (2023 pricing) on the jetstream website. It is a crappy situation, but given that it's use-it-or-lose-it, I'd say maybe give someone status (or upgrade yourself) with your remaining amenity funds, buy the wifi subscription, or gift someone in the family E+ subscription. Those are the only options that are "worth" it imo. Of course, if you've already invested and don't have these options, then it becomes a something-or-nothing situation so might as well get the award flight.

I'd be hard pressed to make any investment in the 15-40K range with the new award chart given the opportunity cost of spreading those expenses throughout the year. 45K could perhaps turn into a gift of 1K status to a non-FF spouse/kids for the plus points (which you can hopefully use up in the year). Then there's GS benefits beyond that at 75K. 10K and 15K gives you just about enough amenity funds for Silver -> Gold or Gold -> Plat, UC membership, Wifi subscription, so you're getting good value still.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, understood....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.