Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 27, 16, 12:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Michael D
Wiki Link
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 12, 15, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
shorter distance, but I recently tried to use a regional upgrade from SFO to ORD. At check in (24 hours in advance) with 3 unbooked FC seats, the upgrade had not cleared but I had the option to buy up for $199. At that point I was first on the upgrade list. I did not do so. A few hours later, the FC seats were all gone (purchased upgrades?). I then called the 1K desk and got on a 30 min earlier flight with 3 empty FC seats. I asked the 1K phone agent about a buy up and she quoted $869 and that the FC seats were all going, going, gone. I told her that was too much. After she put me on the earlier flight, I went to the United app and purchased an upgrade for $199 (with 3 FC seats still available).

So my take home message is that if you want to fly FC, pay for it. UA is definitely trying to get small amounts of cash to monetize the asset rather than trying to make their most loyal customers happy through upgrades.

I have been GS for 5 of the last 6 years and am 1K this year. Although I spent the $12K minimum, I only have 50K PQM--so gold next year. I think that next year my strategy will be to just buy first class or business class tickets on the best airline and only fly United when they offer me the best combination of travel duration and price and class of service. As a 1K, I cannot count on upgrades clearing. In 2015, first class tickets are a better deal than coach tickets with no chance of clearing upgrades.
Old Nov 12, 15, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.55 MM
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
People are griping because non-elites are apparently getting great offers like that while elites are not.
I'm Platinum, so I knew to jump on that baby.
Old Nov 13, 15, 8:30 am

Programs: UA GS 1.25MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
Check the mobile app about an 1-2 hours before departure. I recently upgraded ZRH-EWR for $689 while standing at the gate area an hour before flight. In my mind, I was paying $139 for the ability to keep 20,000 RDM which was a heck of a value IMO.

The night before, at check it, it was $790 which I passed on since I had an entire row of E+ to myself anyway at the time.
hmm.. I may have missed that function. App will only show if available or is it an option off the little icon in upper right hand?
Old Nov 13, 15, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by NH_Clark View Post
hmm.. I may have missed that function. App will only show if available or is it an option off the little icon in upper right hand?
Only if available. It'll be on the specific reservation at the bottom as a picture of a wine glass in F. Once you check in, I think it's the flight options button when clicking the reservation.
Old Nov 14, 15, 3:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Flying MUC to ORD (UA953) today and the upgrade from BF to GF was $829 - best I've ever been offered - but I declined. Where is my surprise and delight upgrade?

ETA - non revs were upgraded to GF and plane will leave with two empty GF seats - beginning to think surprise and delight isn't in my future with UA - oh well I never count on it anyways....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Nov 14, 15 at 3:35 am
Old Nov 14, 15, 3:43 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus GS, 1MM, 1.8 MM, IC RA
Flying from GVA, no one booked in first but , at the witching hour, went all non-rev. Honestly, if no one else wanted to purchase the UG or if no-one was on the UG list, I'm ok with this.
Old Nov 22, 15, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
At booking yesterday, I was offered $338/person to upgrade to F on a PDX-SFO-EWR route. I didn't take it because it showed 'not available' for the SFO-EWR p.s. leg...but if I had taken it, would that have ended up getting me upgraded? Or was that offer only for the PDX-SFO leg (which is on a CRJ7, so definitely not paying for it)?

Makes no difference at this point, but would be curious what might have happened...
Old Nov 22, 15, 2:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
At booking yesterday, I was offered $338/person to upgrade to F on a PDX-SFO-EWR route. I didn't take it because it showed 'not available' for the SFO-EWR p.s. leg...but if I had taken it, would that have ended up getting me upgraded? Or was that offer only for the PDX-SFO leg (which is on a CRJ7, so definitely not paying for it)?

Makes no difference at this point, but would be curious what might have happened...
Based on the information you provided, seems it would have just been the PDX-SFO leg.
Old Nov 22, 15, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Based on the information you provided, seems it would have just been the PDX-SFO leg.
Yeah, I think that was the case (kind of strange, since they offered the exact same price for EWR-PDX)...have to think it's caused by a disconnect on the domestic F fare classes vs. the J fare classes on p.s. legs.

Would have made for an interesting time on the phone if I had chosen to take it.
Old Nov 22, 15, 3:47 pm

ORD-PEK on 11-21
K fare
$1229 offer to Business was there from T24 until boarding w/4 available.
Declined - had 20 A/B. Went out with 2 empty.
Old Nov 23, 15, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Route: RDU-SFO-ONT
Fare: T
Coach Fare: $229
First Fare: $515

Offered an upgrade for $389 after booking for RDU-SFO only (SFO-ONT is single class). Thankfully, I am not that stupid so I declined it.
Old Dec 2, 15, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Odd upgrade pricing after booking

Booked IAH-PSP one way for Christmas later this month. I normally fly F, but there was only 1 seat left in F on the flight.... Y was $212 and F was $1202. I decided to roll the dice and planned on applying an RPU as seats will usually open up at some point.

Immediately after booking, I was offered an upgrade for $309. Obviously I took it so my seat in F would be confirmed.

The strange thing is, it booked into an F fare. So, my F fare cost $521 vs. the F fare that was offered initially when booking.

We all get these upgrade offers after booking a regular basis... usually when it is that much of a discount, it would book into P or A, but F would usually be fairly accurate on the difference between the coach fare and the first fare shown when booking.
Old Dec 2, 15, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Seems strange. If you plug your ticket number into the Saudia website, you should be able to see the new fare basis if you were indeed re-fared in F. I'm trying to construct a scenario where inventory changed and allowed this to happen, but I'm coming up empty. Unless the fare chart changed while you booked? But that seems unlikely.

ed. - yeah, the only fare booking into F that I can find is FUA (the ~$1,200 full F fare). I'd be curious to know what the ticket lists as the basis.
Old Dec 3, 15, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Avis First
That is definitely odd... Never seen that unless an agent is rebooking the "lazy" way.

I agree with the poster above... Would be interesting to see the fare basis.
Old Dec 3, 15, 8:17 am

Programs: Continental
saudia website?

Search this Thread