Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:07 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kacee
What does the receipt say? (you can see it on "view my reservations")

It should describe this purchase as either airfare (good) or an upgrade (bad).

Regardless, if you're booked in P, there's a good chance you will get bonus PQM.
I think it's bad! The add/collect note says: "charged 619.00 USD for the following: Cabin Upgrade / EDD"

I tried talking to the 1K Desk and the united.com desk to ask how to tell, before buying, whether what was being sold was an upsell (counting for PQD) or a discounted upgrade (no extra PQD). The reps didn't answer the question and instead gave me a canned statement about "When you buy a discounted upgrade, you are purchasing the privilege of sitting in our first class. Your award miles are based on the original fare basis purchased..." After a few rounds of that, I was too tired to argue or re-clarify again that I was asking how to tell whether "you are buying a discounted upgrade" in the first place vs. being charged the fare difference.

One of the reps also helpfully (and incorrectly) informed me that, "FYI," if I had actually purchased a business-class fare from JFK to LAX the cost would have been $3000.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Flew FRA-ORD today - was offered $5,999 to upgrade to GF from Z - needless to say I passed (and the seat in GF went out empty).
I don't get it. Oscar, are you listening???

1. First of all, the jump from Z to GF is not worth $5,999. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of UA's GF being worth that price on that route, even if that's the full fare.
2. I recently was offered D to GF FRA-SFO 747 for $3,999. I graciously declined. Then, I got the upgrade anyway using a GPU.
3. How "dare they" send out a wide body with an empty seat in GF when there is a GS in back? How about some good will to your elites? That philosophy just torques me.
4. Didn't you have a GPU?
Originally Posted by chrisinacton
Currently have the option to confirm upgrades from Y to C on SFO-NRT next year on a 747 for $600 +30k miles. Pretty tempted to jump on it since my total round trip cost continuing to BKK was only $635.
Very reasonable to get out of Y! ^
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I don't get it. Oscar, are you listening???

1. First of all, the jump from Z to GF is not worth $5,999. In fact, I have a hard time thinking of UA's GF being worth that price on that route, even if that's the full fare.
2. I recently was offered D to GF FRA-SFO 747 for $3,999. I graciously declined. Then, I got the upgrade anyway using a GPU.
3. How "dare they" send out a wide body with an empty seat in GF when there is a GS in back? How about some good will to your elites? That philosophy just torques me.
Wait a second...

cog·ni·tive dis·so·nance

noun
Psychology

noun: cognitive dissonance

the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.
It seems like we have that going on here.

People complain about how poor the service is in F. What's wrong with having an F seat go empty if there's nobody willing to use miles or a CPU?

You're exhibiting symptoms of what is a huge problem with post-merger UA.

UA has driven, through its consistent "under market" cheap upsells, people to become accustomed to getting sweetheart deals to sit in premium cabins, while simultaneously fading nearly to black the ability of FF's to actually use the GPU's and miles that they have *earned* for their travel.

They've made the earned upgrades nearly valueless, IME, as an SFO based traveler.

Either go full hog and run a transparent dutch auction for each flight, and get rid of "free" upgrade opportunities completely, or let people actually use them. The expectation set that somebody only pays a little bit for premium travel is a huge problem long term for the airline.

I'm actually pleased to see happen what you describe, ***ASSUMING*** that people weren't being offered lower prices than you (which may be an unsafe assumption). This goes to my point about a transparent auction.

Greg
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:01 pm

I was ~9th on the list LAX-SFO this week (with 3 seats available), and paid $79.00 to upgrade to F.

Above my usual threshold, but I was glad I did it.

Buffalo Trace on the rocks is growing on me...
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I was ~9th on the list LAX-SFO this week (with 3 seats available), and paid $79.00 to upgrade to F.
Can you kindly explain the timing and process of paying for this upgrade? If you were already on the CPU list, you had already checked in, so when did you then get the pay offer and respond? Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
There are many places where you can get an upgrade offer. This is what I've noticed as a kettle:

1. At booking, sometimes it's the fare difference, sometimes it's less.
2. At the page where you can see your itinerary. After booking, it's usually the fare difference. After OLCI, it's often a lower offer than the fare difference. It usually is the same offer as the one given at OLCI.
3. At OLCI.
4. At any kiosk after T-24. Same offer as at OLCI.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by diburning
There are many places where you can get an upgrade offer. This is what I've noticed as a kettle:

Thanks. So in this scenario, you go to the kiosk, enter your record locator, etc., and the offer appears?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Got lucky I guess

Originally booked in a T fare (LAX-IAD) that was $180. While on board my IAD-LAX flight, checked the mobile site and voila, PCU offer for $249 with 1 seat available. I was 5th on the UG list. Didn't wanna take any chances and jumped on it. The original R/T fare was $367. This has booked in P. Hoping I get the additional PQM'S as well.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:48 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
YVR-SFO
$449 offer on app to upgrade. 2 unsold tickets in F and I'm #1 on the upgrade list.

I'll take my chances. It seems to me that price is pretty high for a short flight.

ETA: I cleared 1 hour before the flight.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 17, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Old Oct 17, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
CLE to IAH, $169 offer at OLCI. No, thanks.

I'm on the upgrade list (started at #4), but I know there's no absolutely no chance of being upgraded.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks. So in this scenario, you go to the kiosk, enter your record locator, etc., and the offer appears?
You'd have to navigate the menus to get to the part where you can view/manage your itinerary, but yes. Easiest way to access the kiosk would be to scan your boarding pass.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:44 pm

You'd have to navigate the menus to get to the part where you can view/manage your itinerary, but yes. Easiest way to access the kiosk would be to scan your boarding pass.
Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 17, 2015 at 5:51 pm Reason: repaired quote -- please use quote tool
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

1. At booking, sometimes it's the fare difference, sometimes it's less.
2. At the page where you can see your itinerary. After booking, it's usually the fare difference. After OLCI, it's often a lower offer than the fare difference. It usually is the same offer as the one given at OLCI.
3. At OLCI.
You can also go through the check-in process again. I've had upgrade prices drop by rechecking-in on UAL.com after T-24.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:17 pm

Can you kindly explain the timing and process of paying for this upgrade? If you were already on the CPU list, you had already checked in, so when did you then get the pay offer and respond? Thanks.
The app, always the app (iPhone) when I am on the move.

I don't recall exact timing... a few hours before the flight.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Offered $496, IIRC, to upgrade to F on tonight's IAD-SFO 777. I was sorely tempted, since I'm not likely to fly in a Global First seat any time soon. But it's an expensive time of year, and I couldn't quite justify that extra cost to myself. And sure, I was a little irked at my mileage upgrade not clearing.

(I had an early dinner at Lufthansa's lounge instead.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.