Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 27, 16, 12:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Michael D
Wiki Link
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Sep 26, 15, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Flew FRA-ORD today - was offered $5,999 to upgrade to GF from Z - needless to say I passed (and the seat in GF went out empty).
Old Sep 26, 15, 3:35 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan View Post
Flew FRA-ORD today - was offered $5,999 to upgrade to GF from Z - needless to say I passed (and the seat in GF went out empty).
I'm surprised they didn't offer a better deal as the flight got closer to departure. My wife and I secured two P-to-GF upgrades on EWR-LHR earlier this year for $1199 each about 1.5 hours before departure.
Old Sep 26, 15, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CLEContinental View Post
Flying IAD-LAX on a K fare for $158. The plane is a international, 3-class 777-200 coming from LHR.

At check-in and with 43 people on the UG list for Business, offered a buy-up to Business for $459. Took it and booked into Z. ALSO, was placed at the top of the Global First UG list with 3 open F seats and 11 people waiting for UG to Global F.

Is the "double upgrade" as rare as a unicorn or does that happen often?
it's not a double upgrade. You up-fared into Z and then you became eligible for a complimentary upgrade to ON

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
When the miles posted, it posted as ZK. Is this how they handle it now? I vaguely remember buy-ups posting as PN, and Z* with * being the original booking class posting that way only for buy-ups US Airways flights back in the day when US was in *A.
No, ZK is correct; should never post as PN.
Old Sep 26, 15, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
I'm surprised they didn't offer a better deal as the flight got closer to departure. My wife and I secured two P-to-GF upgrades on EWR-LHR earlier this year for $1199 each about 1.5 hours before departure.
Usually they do - but not this time....
Old Sep 26, 15, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
On booking JFK-LAX on p.s. in a few weeks, was offered $615-620 to upgrade on the spot. Declined and used miles + copay instead.
Old Sep 29, 15, 9:30 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
My wife and I secured two P-to-GF upgrades on EWR-LHR earlier this year for $1199 each about 1.5 hours before departure.
Can you describe how this was offered/"secured?" Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 15, 7:01 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Can you describe how this was offered/"secured?" Thanks!
Asked the TA at UC, and she told us the offer, and we accepted.
Old Sep 30, 15, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver SPG Lifetime Gold
Currently have the option to confirm upgrades from Y to C on SFO-NRT next year on a 747 for $600 +30k miles. Pretty tempted to jump on it since my total round trip cost continuing to BKK was only $635.
Old Sep 30, 15, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Flying DEN-LAS a few weeks ago. CPU had cleared 96 hours out.

No status guy sitting next to me commented that he had trouble checking in, so had called in the night before. On the phone they offered him and his wife F upgrades for $50 each. Their original tickets were booked long in advance and were cheap fares (he didn't say how much).

He asked them about an upgrade on the return, and was told around $800 each, which I'm guessing was fare difference + change fee.
Old Oct 4, 15, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Route - NRT - LAX on 787-9
Fare Class - K
Offered $1189 at the UC in Narita when I requested for my Boarding pass
Took it.
Old Oct 13, 15, 11:29 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
On booking JFK-LAX on p.s. in a few weeks, was offered $615-620 to upgrade on the spot. Declined and used miles + copay instead.
I received a similar offer for JFK-LAX is a couple weeks and accepted. The booking class is now showing as "P" (not PN or R) but the PQD listed on the ticket receipt and on My Itineraries still shows only the original $200 or so.

Will I get PQD credit for the ~$600 paid to upfare to P using the Premium Cabin Upsell? The offer appeared on-screen immediately upon booking.
Old Oct 13, 15, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer View Post
Will I get PQD credit for the ~$600 paid to upfare to P using the Premium Cabin Upsell? The offer appeared on-screen immediately upon booking.
Typically not. Key fact bolded. The post-ticketing offers count as upfares and thus accrue PQD; the offers after booking but prior to ticketing usually count as a purchased upgrade.

But nothing is 100% certain with these things.
Old Oct 13, 15, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Typically not. Key fact bolded. The post-ticketing offers count as upfares and thus accrue PQD; the offers after booking but prior to ticketing usually count as a purchased upgrade.

But nothing is 100% certain with these things.
Thanks.. I did some post-ticketing buy-ups before; but this was my first time doing a post-booking, "during" ticketing buy-up, or at least the first time doing it with a dollar amount large enough to matter for PQDs.
Old Oct 13, 15, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer View Post
Thanks.. I did some post-ticketing buy-ups before; but this was my first time doing a post-booking, "during" ticketing buy-up, or at least the first time doing it with a dollar amount large enough to matter for PQDs.
What does the receipt say? (you can see it on "view my reservations")

It should describe this purchase as either airfare (good) or an upgrade (bad).

Regardless, if you're booked in P, there's a good chance you will get bonus PQM.
Old Oct 13, 15, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
What does the receipt say? (you can see it on "view my reservations")

It should describe this purchase as either airfare (good) or an upgrade (bad).

Regardless, if you're booked in P, there's a good chance you will get bonus PQM.
I think it's bad! The add/collect note says: "charged 619.00 USD for the following: Cabin Upgrade / EDD"

I tried talking to the 1K Desk and the united.com desk to ask how to tell, before buying, whether what was being sold was an upsell (counting for PQD) or a discounted upgrade (no extra PQD). The reps didn't answer the question and instead gave me a canned statement about "When you buy a discounted upgrade, you are purchasing the privilege of sitting in our first class. Your award miles are based on the original fare basis purchased..." After a few rounds of that, I was too tired to argue or re-clarify again that I was asking how to tell whether "you are buying a discounted upgrade" in the first place vs. being charged the fare difference.

One of the reps also helpfully (and incorrectly) informed me that, "FYI," if I had actually purchased a business-class fare from JFK to LAX the cost would have been $3000.

Search this Thread