Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Previous threads: 2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2012 "Upsell Offers to Business/F (UFC, PCU)" Questions/Discussion [Paid Upgrades]

PCU (Premium Cabin Upsell) Nets extra PQM's and can be done at purchase or anytime before checkin if prompted. This will book into a business/first bucket.
UFC (Upgrade For Cash) is done at checkin (online, counter, lounge, gate) and will not earn extra PQM's.
Print Wikipost

2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Kacee
IME, the mobile App is the best place to check for upgrade offers.
Ok thanks, So the the upgrade tab (or whatever it is) is still active after checking in! I never realized this!

I have an SFO-TPE flight on Thursday - it is quite open still in business and almost totally open in E+, so I'm hoping not much demand for the unbooked business seats and maybe I'll score a cheap UFC! :-)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
8/30 FRA-SFO UA902
P fare business
OLCI and Mobile App: $829 to GF
Declined.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by blueman2
8/30 FRA-SFO UA902
P fare business
OLCI and Mobile App: $829 to GF
Declined.
IIRC, in the past, I have been offered an U/G to int'l F on this route for around $1,100. Could UA finally be recognizing that the experience isn't worth all that much?

My limit is $600 for this, but no recent opportunities recently as I have not flown UA internationally in about a year now.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 1kBill
IIRC, in the past, I have been offered an U/G to int'l F on this route for around $1,100. Could UA finally be recognizing that the experience isn't worth all that much?

My limit is $600 for this, but no recent opportunities recently as I have not flown UA internationally in about a year now.
I think the issue here was that Econ and Bus was FULL, there were about 20 standbys, and F had only 4 seats taken out of 12. But still, I cannot imagine anyone paying $829 for soup!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Thoughts on a $1,743 offer for EWR-NRT-SIN (NRT-SIN on an ANA 787) in December? I'm currently on a V fare.

Of note, I have 48,437 PQMs booked through 12/31 so getting Gold is a serious consideration, and I'm not sure if I want to make an additional EWR-Florida trip.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is a new one for me. I'm flying IAH-BOS tonight; 2 seats available in F and 14 pax on the waitlist. The upgrade price has been stuck on $209 all day and just (as in the last hour) switched to say this:

Come on UA revenue management, drop that to ~$100 and you've got a buyer right here.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
09/2015
HKG-SIN
G-fare -> UBF
At Purchase
$1319

09/2015
SIN-HKG
G-fare -> UBF
At Purchase
$1139
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kluau88
09/2015
HKG-SIN
G-fare -> UBF
At Purchase
$1319

09/2015
SIN-HKG
G-fare -> UBF
At Purchase
$1139
You took them both, right?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by kluau88
09/2015
HKG-SIN
G-fare -> UBF
At Purchase
$1319

09/2015
SIN-HKG
G-fare -> UBF
At Purchase
$1139
Maybe they were priced in HK $? If priced in USD, these make no sense whatsoever, but then this is UA we're dealing with.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This is a new one for me. I'm flying IAH-BOS tonight; 2 seats available in F and 14 pax on the waitlist. The upgrade price has been stuck on $209 all day and just (as in the last hour) switched to say this:

Come on UA revenue management, drop that to ~$100 and you've got a buyer right here.
Wow - now that is some creative marketing.

I have found BOS-IAH to be a very easy upgrade in the past, as both 1K and GS, although I have not flown the route for six months or so, and I know they are using smaller aircraft on some flights now.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Air Houston
I have found BOS-IAH to be a very easy upgrade in the past, as both 1K and GS, although I have not flown the route for six months or so, and I know they are using smaller aircraft on some flights now.
I don't think anything is an easy upgrade any longer. You may get it, you may not, but routes and times that used to be easy all the time are no longer the case.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I think this is the right thread for this, but I made an IAH-EWR-CDG-IAD reservation in UA economy for a month from now, with an R upgrade available at booking for CDG-IAD. (I broke my own rule about not booking unless all TATL legs had R or heavily discounted because this for certain reasons I had to book these flights for work.) I figured I would either hope for R, as cheap upgrade offer, or worst case buy up on EWR-CDG.

So when I purchase it I get a pop-up upgrade offer for $2450. I decline. A few hours later I am checking to see if there is a cash upgrade offer, which there isn't, but also decide just out of curiosity to see what the buy up to business on the EWR-
CDG leg would be using the "change flights" option. It is only $1450, no change fee. A little high, but that makes the total ticket still only $3750, compared to $4750 if I had acted on the initial pop-up (or about $5200 if I had bought all business outright). I just don't understand the pricing on this at all. By snooping around the website, I have gotten TATL business much cheaper. I mean, if they'd just offered it for $3750 originally, I'd have taken it on the spot. I do have a suspicion that some of the curious pricing is due to the IAH-EWR leg being sold out in first (well, there is on available seat on the chart, but I don't seem to be able to buy it - I am guessing someone has bought it and not asked for a seat assignment or fare-locked it or something).

I also suspect there is a good chance I'd get a better upsell offer if I waited, but maybe not, and probably for not much less that 800-900, and now I don't have to babysit my reservation looking for R or a cash upgrade offer every day or two. I can sit back, relax, and only have to start worrying about cancellations and delays the day before the flight.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile $269 TPA-ORD...no dice

My Daughter, a *S had this offer:

09/05/2015
TPA-ORD
G Class Ticket (RT ORD-TPA-ORD $126)
OLCI offer to upgrade to First
$269

She did not bite. She did get a complimentary E+ Seat in 8C on the aisle !
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adl73x
Hi, bought H LHR-IAH-DEN-GEG-DEN-EWR-LHR, ex LHR on the UK UA site, total trip for £1292.

Offered P on GEG-DEN-EWR-LHR for £958.
Tried several times to accept - website errors on commit every time. Four separate hard pulls made on my card account. Called UA reservations to get my now erring reservation fixed.

Told that online buy ups can only be bought on a US issued credit card. Strange, for a price quoted in £sterling on the UK site, which allowed me to buy the original fare with a UK card.

At that price you may think I had a lucky escape, but I'd still like to know if the online price drops if it can actually be purchased with a UK card?!
I've done (domestic) buy-ups charged to an Australian card.

The main fare was in aud and the upgrade offer was in usd. This was at booking.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
HNL-SFO
1K on K Fare
1 seat in F
$479 at 24 hour mark
$849 at 3 hour mark
$479 at 2 hour mark
Flight oversold by 2 (their offer was $200 voucher and a seat on the next flight on UA or another carrier)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.