How many are REALLY leaving UA?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 10, 15, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
Why? UNITED is still the worse run legacy airline. Now the loyalty programs will just be on level footing.
It is. I don't think anyone who fled to AA will come back. Why?
Old Nov 10, 15, 8:39 pm

I already have 3 long-haul business class tickets purchased on AA/BA in 2016. Will see how it goes.
Old Nov 10, 15, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold
I can't/won't switch to AA since they grounded their PHL-ZRH flight. ZRH is one of my more frequent destinations and there is simply no way to get from ZRH to PHL on AA metal (which is what my corporate deal would require, AA metal.)
Old Nov 10, 15, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold
Flew AA in paid F last week, LAX-CLT-RSW-CLT-LAX. Old US Airways 321 with zero entertainment options, WIFI is more expensive than on UA, food was crap. The FA was clearly unhappy with AA and complained about losing profit sharing deal inspite of record profits. Not so sure AA is a good option once the new FF program takes effect. I'll probably stick with UA for the most part and use AA when the schedule/price makes sense.
Old Nov 11, 15, 3:24 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Honestly I will connect phx-sfo-sna rather than go phx-lax just so I can have soup at the SFO soup company.
And then when you get to SNA, you can eat delicious Mexican food at Javier's!
Old Nov 11, 15, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon View Post
I can't/won't switch to AA since they grounded their PHL-ZRH flight. ZRH is one of my more frequent destinations and there is simply no way to get from ZRH to PHL on AA metal (which is what my corporate deal would require, AA metal.)
Doesn't AA fly JFK-ZRH?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL64
Old Nov 19, 15, 4:48 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
So, now that American has finally fallen in line with UA, DL, and others and have announced plans to change AAdvantage, will some decide to return to UA?

It is my feeling (and one that has been expressed by many in various Flyer Talk entries) that the majors have decided long ago that they want top dollar right now and have designed programs to reward those who pay top dollar. Loyalty means a willingness to purchase the most expensive fares. The rest of the paying passenger load is tolerated and milked of every penny for every possible service.

The airlines have released all of us from our imaginary loyalty contracts to be independent shoppers buying travel based on cost, schedule, and convenience- certainly not on loyalty.
Old Nov 19, 15, 4:52 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
+1 except for the new UA gates 60-69. But in general SFO does better than most, though DCA and DEN are not bad either. I've even gotten to know the decent places at IAH, and always stop at Pappadeux if I have time.

Agree. I have yet to see anybody abandoning UA for less convenient options and all of the cheapskates who flocked to AA will be coming back in 2016 after the new revenue-based RDM program is launched.

Actually my biggest beef with UA is the horrid in-flight meal options, particularly in domestic economy. Mgmt eliminated the one item I like (Asian noodle salad) and none of the snack boxes or main meals are remotely appealing (or healthy). Basically I am now forced to self-cater for all my domestic flights, which doesn't work too well if I have tight connections.
They will be really lost sheep in the desert when AA does PQD in 2017....my prediction.
Old Nov 19, 15, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LaserSailor View Post
They will be really lost sheep in the desert when AA does PQD in 2017....my prediction.
They very well may implement PQD down the road, but for the next 13 months, most of my flying will be on AA, because as a PLAT there I've enjoyed a higher UG percentage than on AA as a 1K.

2016 will be very interesting, as I will retain Plat on AA, and drop to Gold on UA. A perfect year long laboratory to measure the two airlines side by side.
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:55 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
They very well may implement PQD down the road, but for the next 13 months, most of my flying will be on AA, because as a PLAT there I've enjoyed a higher UG percentage than on AA as a 1K.

2016 will be very interesting, as I will retain Plat on AA, and drop to Gold on UA. A perfect year long laboratory to measure the two airlines side by side.
While it is not across the board, I'd say that the upgrade rates for gold on AA are still higher than the 1K rates at United.
Old Nov 19, 15, 11:38 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
I left at the end of 2104 and have no intention of returning to UA, regardless of the new AA program changes.

My reason for leaving UA/*A was the restriction of PQD earnings to UA metal or code shares ticketed on UA stock, not the actual PQD required. LH had just instituted Premium Economy, which was very attractive to me. No way to book that as a UA code share, then or now. So, any premium economy travel on LH would not have counted for UA PDQ.

AA has had the BA premium economy available as code share and I have flown it. Assuming AA goes the PQD route, that availability should continue. And I would remain with AA, and its OneWorld partners
Old Nov 19, 15, 2:33 pm

Defected to Delta: a comparison

I'm a MM+ on United based in SEA and they treated me fine until 2013 and 2014. While I was consistently 1K, I wasn't never getting my upgrades approved on International flights and at the end of the year, I'd be left with most still intact. Then United reduced the number of SEA flights which made many of my trips 2 segment trips which isn't great.

I moved all my business to Delta in 2015 and qualified for Diamond in Q3.

While flying isn't dramatically different in any of the US based carriers, there are some slight differences. YMMV.

It's marginally more difficult to achieve Diamond which help in my case since I fly a lot. I think it will help me as I'll have fewer peer competitors for upgrades although going in and out of ATL has never given me an upgrade.

In general, my impression is that Delta has happier employees. Some have been an example to us all of enthusiasm and great customer attitude.

Upgrades seem to clear at a slightly higher rate domestically although I don't have enough data point internationally.

Gate boarding is chaos under Delta. United was quite structured and I miss it. Perhaps they need a few cranky gate agents to get the crowd under control.

On-board movies are changed less frequently but there is a greater selection on Delta.

United did a nice job with international travel through the star alliance but Delta doesn't have the same lounge presence/support internationally. I've been stuck at a number of airports without a lounge including HND, UIO, FCO. The LHR situation is confused across two terminals and the arrivals lounges are hard to find. They used to offer the Virgin departure lounge in LHR which was fantastic.

These lounge issues really only impact you as a traveler when you are a level below Diamond because when you reach that level, you are granted membership to their Sky Club which has alliances with partner lounges.

Note the Sky Club lounge is tighter on bringing friends and family so it isn't quite as helpful when you are traveling in a group. One of the optional Diamond selections is upgrading the Sky Club membership to group but then it only allows 2 others to join me in a visit.
The food and drink options are somewhat better. They have a wicked spicy Thai soup that's fantastic.

Free drinks in the Delta version of economy plus. I was given a small number of free drink coupons at the beginning of the year but still haven't had a chance to use them.

For me it was a good move.

Safe travels.
Old Jan 7, 16, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
My last UA flight

I scheduled for next week to Chicago. After that I am doing the plat challenge for AA. I am optimistic about the change and will at the very least enjoy more non stops to my destination. Good luck UA flyers!
Old Jan 7, 16, 11:32 am

If you're travelling out of Scottsdale, AA certainly makes sense. Merger w/ US makes AA a little more palatable out of Maui (#2 choice for me), but UA still is #1 (destination-wise) out of Hawaii. Good luck!

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 7, 16 at 11:39 am
Old Jan 7, 16, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I scheduled for next week to Chicago. After that I am doing the plat challenge for AA. I am optimistic about the change and will at the very least enjoy more non stops to my destination. Good luck UA flyers!
I am so jealous.

Search this Thread