Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difference in mileage cost for upgrading to United First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Hello.

First flight coming up in a few days.

EWR - DEN. EGE - EWR on the return.

To upgrade on the return, it costs 15k miles and no co-pay. What do you guys think? 5k less than the usual upgrade cost.

I'm thinking of passing and trying to get a nice economy plus seat with my silver.

Thoughts welcome.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: 1K
Travel Award Destinations chart (PDF) - See page 4

My opinion is that it is not worth it. However, to each his own! Might want to look at buying the fare outright.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Ever since I got silver, i've noticed buyups are about double what they used to be. So probably won't do that.

Gone are the days of 71 dollars for an upgrade to first. ( I got that for an FLL - EWR flight earlier this year pre silver)

I like to save miles for upgrading when flying with my wife. 1) she is a poor flyer 2) makes me look good.

I can fly in the back when its just me. its more fun flying first with a companion i think.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
Ever since I got silver, i've noticed buyups are about double what they used to be. So probably won't do that.

Gone are the days of 71 dollars for an upgrade to first. ( I got that for an FLL - EWR flight earlier this year pre silver)

I like to save miles for upgrading when flying with my wife. 1) she is a poor flyer 2) makes me look good.

I can fly in the back when its just me. its more fun flying first with a companion i think.
^^ I'm in the same situation. We sat in the back early last year and a certain someone wasn't very happy about it.

Might want to save them for saver BusinessFirst/First. Better bang for your mile IMO, and makes a huge difference on longer flights.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hookthem
^^ I'm in the same situation. We sat in the back early last year and a certain someone wasn't very happy about it.

Might want to save them for saver BusinessFirst/First. Better bang for your mile IMO, and makes a huge difference on longer flights.
Agreed. I have a SFO flight coming up , hence my username, but thinking about flying from JFK to get businessfirst treatment. Long flight from NY to California heading west against the wind. Economy plus on the way home isn't so bad unless you are doing a red eye and want to sleep.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you've beaten yourself silly skiing, the 15k might be worth it - legroom and free booze.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Just FYI this is a really short flight with no benefits at EGE from being in F. So the question is whether 3 hours in the front is worth the cost to you?

I normally do upgrade on the route, but I'm not lacking for RPUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.