Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I don't think UA is still playing the weather card on fuel stops. It's aircraft selection.

Weather would result in some strong headwinds, maybe a 30-minute delay. A fuel stop is needed because the aircraft selected was not capable of flying the mission nonstop.
Or weather in the form of unexpected headwinds or bad weather causing an inflight re-route. Either of those could result in a fuel stop.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I think the best you can hope for is a dollars off travel credit. Decide what you want, write a concise complaint, and sent it, ASAP. The decay rate on the flight data is high.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:09 am

How much compensation if any

Hey,

So yesterday i was flying home from setting up for CES and was flying LAS-ORD-LGA.

I landed at ORD on time and checked my flight status-- it said on time checked where the plane was coming from and it was scheduled to LAND 80min after my flight was scheduled to take off (no way my flight was on time). Went up to the united club and was helped to switch my flight even with IROPS they got me onto a scheduled 5:10 flight (it was 4:30 at the time) which was scheduled at that point to leave at 6:30. They sent the request to move my bags (when my bag was still on my inbound flight) and was told that with 2+ hours it should be no problem getting my bag swapped. That flight ended up actually leaving at 8:45pm. I arrived at LGA to find out my bag never made it. Super long line at LGA baggage so i called it in on my way home. they said i would be contacted in the AM to deliver the bag. Its now 1pm and my bag is still at the airport...not on the way to me.

How much compensation do you think? who should i submit it to?

if the answer is none and suck it up it was bad weather i am ok with that as we'll

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
Hey,

So yesterday i was flying home from setting up for CES and was flying LAS-ORD-LGA.

I landed at ORD on time and checked my flight status-- it said on time checked where the plane was coming from and it was scheduled to LAND 80min after my flight was scheduled to take off (no way my flight was on time). Went up to the united club and was helped to switch my flight even with IROPS they got me onto a scheduled 5:10 flight (it was 4:30 at the time) which was scheduled at that point to leave at 6:30. They sent the request to move my bags (when my bag was still on my inbound flight) and was told that with 2+ hours it should be no problem getting my bag swapped. That flight ended up actually leaving at 8:45pm. I arrived at LGA to find out my bag never made it. Super long line at LGA baggage so i called it in on my way home. they said i would be contacted in the AM to deliver the bag. Its now 1pm and my bag is still at the airport...not on the way to me.

if the answer is none and suck it up it was bad weather i am ok with that as we'll

thanks
I'd be surprised if you got anything for bag delays < 48 hours. Last summer, I had a 24 hour bag delay, wrote in and got bupkes.

Perhaps you should wait until the bag is actually in your hands before filing anything?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps you should wait until the bag is actually in your hands before filing anything?
+1

Additionally, there's a huge difference between being deprived of your bag for a day while on the road and having delayed delivery to your home once you've returned. The thought of requesting compensation for the latter would not even cross my mind.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
<500 mile flight ex-EWR

Emailed 1kvoice to report broken reading lamp (no compensation desired or requested) -- 1250 miles given.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
[snip]

thanks
I don't see a status mentioned so I'll point out if you paid a baggage fee you're due a refund of that under DOT rules. Any request for compensation (it's worth a try) should be brief (mention irrops, over 2 hours to move the bag, it was ultimately a day late) though the feedback form online.

Originally Posted by LeftsideWindow
<500 mile flight ex-EWR

Emailed 1kvoice to report broken reading lamp (no compensation desired or requested) -- 1250 miles given.
even if you very optimistically value UAL miles that's less than $50 (after the devaluations I'd put it closer to $15 or $20). While I get that you didn't ask for anything it cracks me up that there was probably a meeting on S. Wacker where they came up with the list and decided to throw a Jackson at the problem.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

Hey folks. I was on a flight yesterday (ORD>CMH) which was delayed, then upon takeoff a panel fell out of the ceiling causing us to be rerouted back to O'Hare to repair the plane. I was one of the lucky passengers who was hit by the panel square in the top of the head. The flight ended up being 5 hours late to its destination, as a result they offered by email a choice of 3750 miles or a $75 certificate as compensation. My question is - is this enough? I suppose they didn't have to do anything, but I'm sure that they offered the same to everyone, I feel like it's' not enough. opinions?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by melissaj
... a panel fell out of the ceiling causing us to be rerouted back to O'Hare to repair the plane. I was one of the lucky passengers who was hit by the panel square in the top of the head. The flight ended up being 5 hours late to its destination, as a result they offered by email a choice of 3750 miles or a $75 certificate as compensation. I suppose they didn't have to do anything, but I'm sure that they offered the same to everyone, I feel like it's' not enough. opinions?
What do you feel is enough?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What do you feel is enough?
Great question. $75 isn't even a full flight, I think $150 would be more appropriate, at least I might get a flight somewhere with little out of pocket expense. I wouldn't likely use a $75 credit and I don't know if the mileage would be more valuable to me because it wouldn't expire in a year like the voucher.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by melissaj
Hey folks. I was on a flight yesterday (ORD>CMH) which was delayed, then upon takeoff a panel fell out of the ceiling causing us to be rerouted back to O'Hare to repair the plane. I was one of the lucky passengers who was hit by the panel square in the top of the head. ...
You might be able to claim more for injury, but did you request medical assistance after the plane's ceiling hit you in the head? Did the crew write up an injury report that named you?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by transportprof
You might be able to claim more for injury, but did you request medical assistance after the plane's ceiling hit you in the head? Did the crew write up an injury report that named you?
I did not request medical attention, but they did write an injury report.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
4 HR Delay GSO - IAD 1/5/15 - 5K miles or $100

Proactive email from United (I got one, my traveling companion, who has no status, got nothing). I would have chose the $100, but I have three certificates already and so I chose the 5K miles. This is a international trip, GSO-IAD-NRT, SIN-HKG-EWR-GSO, W fare, upgraded on all but first two flights.

Is it just me, or does the compensation seem rather meager these days?

Billy
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
HNL-SFO-MFR Cancelled flight; overnight stay 8750 miles

Cancelled flight (no available crew) resulted in an unwanted overnight stay at SFO and 14 hour delay. GS on Y fare. Got 8750 miles.

I talked to GS agent about this. She claims this is according to their standardized chart. Seems extremely poor compared to the 10,000 miles I've received for AVOD not working.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Cancelled flight (no available crew) resulted in an unwanted overnight stay at SFO and 14 hour delay. GS on Y fare. Got 8750 miles.

I talked to GS agent about this. She claims this is according to their standardized chart. Seems extremely poor compared to the 10,000 miles I've received for AVOD not working.
That is crazy. I guess I don't feel as bad for my 5K 4 hour delay.

Billy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.