Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:29 am

I'm flying IAH to DCA in a few weeks. I upgraded V to P for the flight. I looked at the amenity kits given out on international flights and was wondering if I can get one on my domestic flight? I don't mind asking/begging/buying but if they aren't stocked, will it be pointless? Or is it possible for the attendant to work some magic and find one tucked away?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:32 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eibboh
was wondering if I can get one on my domestic flight?
They don't give them out for domestic. Probably, almost certainly, don't have any on board.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, asur
Originally Posted by asur
Is waitlist and hope where the award is ticketed as Business/First, but they reserve space in economy which you would fly if you don't get upgraded? ...
to waitlist for the higher cabin, you must have a confirmed economy award space reservation (of the same saver/standard type).

Originally Posted by asur
... Does this require booking over the phone and what occurs if only 1 segment in a multiple segment route is upgraded?
Generally speaking if one segment is flown in the higher award category, there will be no refunds of lack of success in the other segments. This is a risk.

Lots more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html (and especially its wiki).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:42 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm thinking of switching my MileagePlus address to my address back in Switzerland. Are there any downsides to having an non-US address? (Specifically - anything related to flying with united on status, earning miles, getting CPUs, etc. I don't care about shopping portals and related offers.)
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
I'm thinking of switching my MileagePlus address to my address back in Switzerland. Are there any downsides to having an non-US address? (Specifically - anything related to flying with united on status, earning miles, getting CPUs, etc. I don't care about shopping portals and related offers.)
The following cover the subject pretty well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-changes.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-address.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-status.html
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:42 pm
jk2

I am not sure I post in the correct thread, so mods, if needed, please move to correct one.

I have a simple question regarding mileageplus award for europe to usa, economy. one way should cost 30K miles. I wonder, how much should cost an award, which would also include a domestic portion on United, but flight is not available in saver level? For example, FRA-IAD costs 30K, but IAD-MCO is available in 25K level (standard). How much should cost FRA-IAD-MCO? I thought it would cost 30K+12.5K (half of standard). But United.com shows 65K. How is that possible? Do they charge like delta.com does?

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:56 pm

Earning more award miles than flight distance?

I am 1K and have a base fare (without taxes) for a oneway from SFO to ICN on UA for $528 ($635 with taxes). Multiplying the base fare by 11 (for 1-K) I should earn 5,808 award miles for this flight. However, the actual flown miles for sfo-icn is 5,636. Is this possible or am I missing something?

Also, I assume that Premier Qualifying Miles are still calculated by the actual flown miles, and not the money spent on the fare (for both UA and Star carriers) - right?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annapurna
I am 1K and have a base fare (without taxes) for a oneway from SFO to ICN on UA for $528 ($635 with taxes). Multiplying the base fare by 11 (for 1-K) I should earn 5,808 award miles for this flight. However, the actual flown miles for sfo-icn is 5,636. Is this possible or am I missing something?

Also, I assume that Premier Qualifying Miles are still calculated by the actual flown miles, and not the money spent on the fare (for both UA and Star carriers) - right?
Yes, that is correct. You will earn 5,808 redeemable award miles and Premier Qualifying miles are still based on miles flown. There is no more 100% bonus miles for 1K so the total redeemable award miles will be the 5,808. Before revenue based earning you would have received 5,636x2 or 11,272 redeemable award miles. So you will actually be earning almost 1/2 of what you would have received before the change.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jk2
I have a simple question regarding mileageplus award for europe to usa, economy. one way should cost 30K miles. I wonder, how much should cost an award, which would also include a domestic portion on United, but flight is not available in saver level? For example, FRA-IAD costs 30K, but IAD-MCO is available in 25K level (standard). How much should cost FRA-IAD-MCO? I thought it would cost 30K+12.5K (half of standard). But United.com shows 65K. How is that possible? Do they charge like delta.com does?.
UA won't let you mix a standard and saver segments on a one-way, so it is pricing as a standard one-way award N. America - Europe.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Luggage/Irrops.

I board a United flight, it leaves the gate, then comes back due to MX, which turns out to last hours. Passengers get off. Is it possible to get your checked luggage back in order to get onto another flight with your bag? What if the plane never leaves the gate, but I've already checked my bag and there is a long delay--can I get the bag back and then switch flights? (I realize not checking a bag is ideal, but one member in our party doesn't seem to be able to get by on a carry-on size bag.) Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by socalflying
I board a United flight, it leaves the gate, then comes back due to MX, which turns out to last hours. Passengers get off. Is it possible to get your checked luggage back in order to get onto another flight with your bag? What if the plane never leaves the gate, but I've already checked my bag and there is a long delay--can I get the bag back and then switch flights? (I realize not checking a bag is ideal, but one member in our party doesn't seem to be able to get by on a carry-on size bag.) Thanks!
Getting check luggage on a delayed light can be difficult, if the delay is long enough (in the mind of UA) the option may be offered. If UA unloads the passengers, getting the bags transfer should be possible -- you really don't want to have the luggage delivered to the carousel for you to pick up. You can leave and go to another flight and your luggage can catch up with you later (not ideal). This is YMMV situation.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE
CPU eligibility for traveler on separate PNR?

I'm going to be doing a domestic/NA trip with my spouse shortly where we will be on separate PNR's. My husband is Platinum on UA, but I have no UA status (I'm *Gold via AC). If we were on the same reservation, I know I'd be on the CPU list if we were on the same PNR, but is there any way for me to get on the upgrade list when we are on separate PNR's? One of the trips is business travel, so there's no way for us to book together for this trip.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by gcashin
I'm going to be doing a domestic/NA trip with my spouse shortly where we will be on separate PNR's. My husband is Platinum on UA, but I have no UA status (I'm *Gold via AC). If we were on the same reservation, I know I'd be on the CPU list if we were on the same PNR, but is there any way for me to get on the upgrade list when we are on separate PNR's? One of the trips is business travel, so there's no way for us to book together for this trip.
Unfortunately you will not be upgrade eligible since you are on a separate PNR. Since you are *G, there MAY be a possibility to get on the UG list at the gate.... not certain about that though, but may be worth asking.

If you booked on the same PNR, you would be equally eligible for the CPU... though I have done this in the past, and had my companion end up a couple spots below me on the UG list... not sure why.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Unfortunately you will not be upgrade eligible since you are on a separate PNR. Since you are *G, there MAY be a possibility to get on the UG list at the gate.... not certain about that though, but may be worth asking.

If you booked on the same PNR, you would be equally eligible for the CPU... though I have done this in the past, and had my companion end up a couple spots below me on the UG list... not sure why.
Thanks for the info. Didn't think it was possible, but was somewhat hopeful there may have been a way. If there's no way for CPU eligibility, it sounde like the only chances as a *G would be if all upgrades clear, economy is oversold, and there's space in biz class, so it sounds like my chances of an upgrade if spouse gets upgraded are pretty close to 0. Good to know for future flights.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
There is no method for a non-UA elite to be eligible for CPU. However, the off-PNR companion of a UA elites can be added to the gate list but only at the gate and some GAs are not familiar with the process. The companion will be prioritized at the bottom of the UA elites status class

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.