Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If it's AC connecting to AC, they should take care of you. To change airlines to something other than UA, there would have to be award inventory on the other airline - United cannot force partners to open inventory.
Got it. Just a quick follow up - I understand that United can't force partners to open inventory, but would United open its own inventory in this case (since I booked through United with miles)? I ask because AC actually doesn't have many convenient alternative routes on the same day, whereas United has a few. And if so, would I need to speak to an AC agent or a United agent to book me onto a United route?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
would United open its own inventory in this case (since I booked through United with miles)? ... would I need to speak to an AC agent or a United agent to book me onto a United route?
Since it's a United award, they should definitely be able to open up inventory on their own metal. You would probably need to call United (I'm not sure if an airport agent would be able to do what you need or not).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Got it. Just a quick follow up - I understand that United can't force partners to open inventory, but would United open its own inventory in this case (since I booked through United with miles)? I ask because AC actually doesn't have many convenient alternative routes on the same day, whereas United has a few. And if so, would I need to speak to an AC agent or a United agent to book me onto a United route?
If day of travel, you have an issue because of a delayed flight -- the flight operator that created the problem is responsible for resolving the issue.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:09 am
RJ1

I have upcoming award travel.

Outbound is UA => BR => BR.
Return is BR => BR => UA.

On the outbound, will UA be able to check me in for my connecting flights on BR?

On the return, should I even bother with the UA online checkin, or just go to the airport and checkin with BR?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:28 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by RJ1
On the outbound, will UA be able to check me in for my connecting flights on BR?
Yes, they should be able to check you in for your BR flights if they are on the same e-ticket/PNR.

Originally Posted by RJ1
On the return, should I even bother with the UA online checkin, or just go to the airport and checkin with BR?
The process should not be any different than the outbound. BR should be able to check you in all the way to your final destination.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:43 am
RJ1

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes, they should be able to check you in for your BR flights if they are on the same e-ticket/PNR.

The process should not be any different than the outbound. BR should be able to check you in all the way to your final destination.
Thanks. Yes, all same ticket/PNR.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: United Gold
I have 20,000 FPQMs and I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to 1K this year or not. I'm not sure what to do with them. Should I just use them now?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I have 20,000 FPQMs and I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to 1K this year or not. I'm not sure what to do with them. Should I just use them now?
If you're already 1K for 2015, there's no reason to use them early unless you want to accelerate when you receive your RPUs for 75K. They won't help you get to 1K for 2016 anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
Using them won't get you any closer to 1K so if that's the goal the answer is definitely no. What status do you currently have and where do you anticipate finishing the year?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
Baggage on connection question

Hi guys,

I'm traveling soon and have a question about the checked bags.

I'm flying TLV > EWR (23:50) > SFO

On the long connection of 23+h at EWR I would like to my checked bag to continue to SFO.

I know I have to take the bag and got though customs and the agent at TLV can't check my bag all the way because when I take off it's not 24h before the EWR-SFO trip.

Can I recheck my bags at EWR as soon as I clear customs? Is it possible doing that 24h before the flight?

thanks
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
..I'm traveling soon and have a question about the checked bags.

I'm flying TLV > EWR (23:50) > SFO

On the long connection of 23+h at EWR I would like to my checked bag to continue to SFO.

I know I have to take the bag and got though customs and the agent at TLV can't check my bag all the way because when I take off it's not 24h before the EWR-SFO trip.

Can I recheck my bags at EWR as soon as I clear customs? Is it possible doing that 24h before the flight? ...
UA's nominal rule is
Customers making connections which involve an overnight stay must claim baggage at the intermediate point and re-check baggage for the connecting flight on the following day.
But sometimes you get them checked it -- but be prepared if not

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...yover-ewr.html
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA's nominal rule is

But sometimes you get them checked it -- but be prepared if not

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...yover-ewr.html
I see. I'll try my luck with self check in when I land or with the agent, if not I'll go to the baggage storage.

Thanks for your help sir.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
...and the agent at TLV can't check my bag all the way because when I take off it's not 24h before the EWR-SFO trip.
This is not actually a rule AFAIK.

I wouldn't want to leave a bag in UA's hands for 23+ hours at EWR. But if you do then the bag drop after customs is likely your best bet.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
This is not actually a rule AFAIK.

I wouldn't want to leave a bag in UA's hands for 23+ hours at EWR. But if you do then the bag drop after customs is likely your best bet.
And TSA is better :P . I got a band new in the box iPhone stolen from me after i checked my bag (and locked it) at JFK (Flying DL).

I just know now not to put anything valuable at the bag and have a TSA lock on it (Just to know if it was broken by someone or not)

But you are saying if I check in to flight #1 I can have my bag routed to the final destination even if flight #2 schedule is within 36 h?

thx
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:57 am

Help with UA

Is the MileagePlus Award Accelerator worth the money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.