Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Sorry, might be a dumb question, but does the fare bucket for R ever increase as a flight gets closer and there are seats open in F? For example if F is currently at 6 (in a 6 seat cabin) and R is at 0, if no one has purchased or otherwise been upgraded in another way to F, does United just let those seats stay empty or will elites be upgraded even though R is at 0?
This is really two questions and the answer is "yes" to both.

Yes, UA may open additional R as time passes. It's not predictable (although it used to be).

Yes, upgrades will clear into empty F seats at the gate even if R never visibly opens. Note though that on non-CPU routes, UA will let seats fly empty if there are no pax eligible for the upgrade (i.e., no pax willing to upgrade with an instrument).
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I am new to this GPU thing. I get them every year but usually fly BF on a 2 class plane and can't use them. I was able to use one last year PVG-SFO and it cleared immediately (I was surprised).

On 1/31 I am flying ORD-FRA-MAA returning 2/6 MAA-FRA-EWR, both in J as a 1K. I applied a GPU to the ORD-FRA and FRA-EWR segments (the other two are on LH). It shows as my reservation as "Upgrade Requested"

How do I know where I am on "the list"? Can I tell now or does this information only become available closer to departure? I'm just curious what chance these have to clear... Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by happytobeme
.... It shows as my reservation as "Upgrade Requested"

How do I know where I am on "the list"? Can I tell now or does this information only become available closer to departure? ....
There are two lists, the pre-checkin list and post-checkin list (also call the gate list).

You can never see the pre-checkin list -- but an agent can confirm you are on the list (but not where) or the message in the reservation can confirm it.
The gate list (see flight status) is started as people check in for the flight. You will only be shown if checked in, so positions can change as others checkin. This list is ordered but new entries can change your position.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
We are currently wait listed for first on one of our UA flights (IAH to IAD) as part of MP reward tickets for travel to Europe this April. We are already confirmed in business class on the TATL segments (IAD-VIE on Austrian in biz and MUC-IAH on UA in BF). We've been on the wait list for the domestic IAH-IAD leg on UA mainline for over three months now. In the past, we've had our wait list requests for F clear at least a month before departure.

I called UA res today concerning another matter and then asked about our wait list situation. The res agent informed me that our wait listed request for an upgrade "will not clear until 24 hours" before our departure date in April. Given our past experience with wait list requests for an upgrade clearing a month or more ahead of time, is this a new development?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jlemon
The res agent informed me that our wait listed request for an upgrade "will not clear until 24 hours" before our departure in April.
Don't believe everything that UA phone agents tell you.

Much of the time they are just making it up. As was this one.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jlemon
... I called UA res today concerning another matter and then asked about our wait list situation. The res agent informed me that our wait listed request for an upgrade "will not clear until 24 hours" before our departure in April. Given our past experience with wait list requests for an upgrade clearing a month or more ahead of time, is this a new development?
No change in process as far as I am aware, but the agent was doing some expectation setting. Upgrades can clear at any time but it feels UA is holding back more seats recently for cash upgrade purchases, so fewer upgrades are clearing early and more are delayed until close to travel (if ever).
So you may clear early, you may clear closer to departure and you may never clear -- impossible to tell/predict. Upgrades are never a certainty if waitlisted.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA, A3, TK, Marriott, IHG, Hertz
...I applied a GPU to the ORD-FRA and FRA-EWR segments (the other two are on LH)...
You can apply a GPU for LH flights BTW.
I'm not sure if you can still use just one for that flight as this is one direction but you can get a voucher for LH flight with some manual and long process for a GPU.

Originally Posted by jawebster
Yes I would like to travel 6/17-6/21. Thanks for the help everyone!!
checked it out, you are correct, if you are not flexible on dates 6/16-6/22 for example. Award tickets on J (aka IN) are not available from SFO.
You can wait for the small chance it will open up and book it or think the about the other options we talked about.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Sorry, might be a dumb question, but does the fare bucket for R ever increase as a flight gets closer and there are seats open in F? For example if F is currently at 6 (in a 6 seat cabin) and R is at 0, if no one has purchased or otherwise been upgraded in another way to F, does United just let those seats stay empty or will elites be upgraded even though R is at 0?
Sometimes UA will open up R closer in, but that is at the discretion of revenue management. You will still appear on the upgrade standby list and should in theory be prioritized after YMB fares, with instruments, and before CPUs
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cacohenassaf
You can apply a GPU for LH flights BTW.
I'm not sure if you can still use just one for that flight as this is one direction but you can get a voucher for LH flight with some manual and long process for a GPU.
Thank you for the additional information! I have several GPUs expiring so I may as well try to apply them if possible. What is the process to apply a UA GPU to the LH leg of my flight?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:38 pm

Thank you for the additional information! I have several GPUs expiring so I may as well try to apply them if possible. What is the process to apply a UA GPU to the LH leg of my flight?
It is a very new process but you can learn more about in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lectronic.html .

Note a GPU on LH can be used just for a single segment and the same GPU can not be used for another LH or UA segment.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This is really two questions and the answer is "yes" to both.

Yes, UA may open additional R as time passes. It's not predictable (although it used to be).

Yes, upgrades will clear into empty F seats at the gate even if R never visibly opens. Note though that on non-CPU routes, UA will let seats fly empty if there are no pax eligible for the upgrade (i.e., no pax willing to upgrade with an instrument).
Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

For the Premier Silvers being allowed to move to E+ for free at the 24 hour mark rule: so all I have to do is just go to OLCI at T-24 and look at the seat map -- and if an E+ seat is available, I should be able to switch to it at no cost? In particular, I'm just wondering do I need to be at the airport to enjoy this benefit.

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ConcreteVitamin
so all I have to do is just go to OLCI at T-24 and look at the seat map -- and if an E+ seat is available, I should be able to switch to it at no cost? In particular, I'm just wondering do I need to be at the airport to enjoy this benefit.
Correct, that is when you can snag E+ as Silver.

And you need to be inside the plane to enjoy the benefit
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Correct, that is when you can snag E+ as Silver.

And you need to be inside the plane to enjoy the benefit
Thanks a lot!

Looking at this chart [1], and I'm flying Hong Kong - SFO as a silver, is it correct to interpret it as that CPU is just not available, and I shouldn't need to bother asking to be placed on an upgrade waitlist because there ain't any?

[1] http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ConcreteVitamin
I'm flying Hong Kong - SFO as a silver, is it correct to interpret it as that CPU is just not available
Correct, there are no CPUs on intercontinental flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.