Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Michael D
Print Wikipost

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Mine have just jumped to 2.3cpm/10cpm, was 2.1/8 last week.

Both TATL reservations, one is booked in Y and the other is in GF.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by AppleApe
does anybody know why the prices for RDM jumps up and down so frequently?
Yes, a bored IT intern assigned to monitor and adjust Accelerator rates does it for personal entertainment.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes, a bored IT intern assigned to monitor and adjust Accelerator rates does it for personal entertainment.
or perhaps they hired one of my less-advanced primate relatives
to do the IT work?(look at my user name)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gpicur
I have a ticket for May on UA (016) Stock and on AC Metal IST-ORD-IST. I bought the ticket (in P Class) at United.Com. I checked the Accelerator Rates today and this is the result:

RDM: 15,000 for $345 or $0.023 per mile
PQM: 15,000 for an additional $1,200 or 0.08 per mile.

Make 2 Cents: The RDM is no bargin. However, based on my experience from last year the PQM rate of 8 cents per mile is pretty good. As I got closer to re-qualifying for 1K, UA jacked the rates higher and higher, sometimes as high as $.145 per mile.

Some of you have asked why UA charges more for PQMs for their best elites. The reason is, they know that psychologically we are more prone to dish out the cash to keep our status.

My question to all you wise FT sages, is $.08 per PQM mile worth pulling the trigger for now ? I think that 15,000 miles will be the difference this year for me re-qaulifying for 1K. Your thoughts are appreciated.
I have the same offer for my AUA-SFO return flight. I am probably going to pull the trigger on this as I have about 88,000 miles planned for the year. I am also planning a trip to England with my family in 2016, and I could really use the GPUs...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus; Hyatt Gold Passport
Premier Accelerator (PA) towards 1K

FNG here looking to break into the FT world. I will do nine legs between IAD and DBX this year (4.5 roundtrips) and am looking to make 1K out of it. (I see in other threads that's a goal of debatable worth, but we'll put that aside for the moment.) The tickets will all be employer-purchased YCA fares. I started 2015 as MP Silver.

Prior to the first leg in January, I paid $285 for 15000 RDM (1.9 cents per) and another $1800 to make them PQM, which made them 13.9 cents per all up.

I was ticketed a couple of weeks ago to do DBX-IAD-DBX at the end of March and accepted a PA offer of 25000 PQM for $3525 ($525 for RDM and $3000 for PQM = 14.1 cents per). Now, with only the two PQM purchases and the January IAD-DBX flight, I'm sitting about 3000 PQMs short of Gold.

During the coming week, I will be ticketed for DBX-IAD-DBX trips in June and August. Of course it will be interesting to see what the offers will be. My guess is they will be more expensive since I'm climbing the ladder and United likely already has marked me as an easy touch. I will be sure to let the group know what I'm offered and take its advice before making any decisions.

In the meantime, any comments or suggestions on my quest and how I'm going about it will be most welcome. And if I was a mo-ron to pay so much for the PQMs, please break it to me gently. Thanks, O2B
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

O2B1k, Welcome to FT and thanks for your service in the region !!

I will try to address your questions:

You are not a Mo-ran if you are trying to extract some value from UA quickly. As you are likely flying on R&Rs from downrange to the USA, comfort on those 14+ hour flights from DXB is probably important to you. Striving for Gold quickly is smart. Gold will get you lounge access (try the LH lounge at DXB and spring the $25 to use the gym/pool at the DXB airport Hotel, at what was formerly Gate 117) and extra baggage which comes in handy when you do a shopping spree in the USA and bring your sundries downrange. 1K status will be very good for you as the 6 GPUs will likely get you into Business Class on a YCA (Government) fare. It has been a while, but in the day, YCA was considered the equivalent of full fare Y for PQM purposes, i.e. you earned 1.5 PQMs per actual UA BIS miles flown.

Don't get in a hurry to buy the PQMs all at once. There is plenty of time to earn and if need be, buy the PQMs necessary to make 1K.

You are correct in that UA prices PQMs based on how much you need them as opposed to some other logical pricing scheme. Last year I had offers as low as $.08 per PQM and as high as $ .15 per PQM. In general the rates were lower early and went up later in the year. My general thought, get Gold ASAP then wait it out before buying more PQMs. Sometimes UA lowers the price during low seasons, etc. Remember, you can always make a "dummy booking" to purchase the PQMs and then cancel the booking before 24 hours, get a refund for the ticket but keep the PQMs you purchased for the "Dummy" booking.

Good Luck on getting 1K and keep us posted here at FT on your progress and UA experiences.

Oh, yeah, and stay safe out there !!!! BR GPICUR

Originally Posted by O2B1K
FNG here looking to break into the FT world. I will do nine legs between IAD and DBX this year (4.5 roundtrips) and am looking to make 1K out of it. (I see in other threads that's a goal of debatable worth, but we'll put that aside for the moment.) The tickets will all be employer-purchased YCA fares. I started 2015 as MP Silver.

Prior to the first leg in January, I paid $285 for 15000 RDM (1.9 cents per) and another $1800 to make them PQM, which made them 13.9 cents per all up.

I was ticketed a couple of weeks ago to do DBX-IAD-DBX at the end of March and accepted a PA offer of 25000 PQM for $3525 ($525 for RDM and $3000 for PQM = 14.1 cents per). Now, with only the two PQM purchases and the January IAD-DBX flight, I'm sitting about 3000 PQMs short of Gold.

During the coming week, I will be ticketed for DBX-IAD-DBX trips in June and August. Of course it will be interesting to see what the offers will be. My guess is they will be more expensive since I'm climbing the ladder and United likely already has marked me as an easy touch. I will be sure to let the group know what I'm offered and take its advice before making any decisions.

In the meantime, any comments or suggestions on my quest and how I'm going about it will be most welcome. And if I was a mo-ron to pay so much for the PQMs, please break it to me gently. Thanks, O2B
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:38 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Mine have all jumped. They were 8cpm + 1.9 to 2.1cpm previously; I just got back from a long TPAC, and my remaining res are now 10cpm + 2.1cpm.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:26 am

I'm now getting absurdly large PQM packages (e.g., 75,000 PQMs) on my TPAC itineraries at 10cpm.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
I'm now getting absurdly large PQM packages (e.g., 75,000 PQMs) on my TPAC itineraries at 10cpm.
View of the uninitiated, but it seems the TPAC itins are offered lower PQM costs (circa $.08) than TATL and ME (+/-$.12-14).

What's up with that?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:49 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by O2B1K
View of the uninitiated, but it seems the TPAC itins are offered lower PQM costs (circa $.08) than TATL and ME (+/-$.12-14).

What's up with that?
I haven't noticed that myself. I have seen the 8cpm ones on TATL, transcons, midcons, and TPACs, FWIW.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I have an SFO-SIN flight coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm being given two very high mileage options:

40k miles
$840, and then an additional $3200 for PQM

60k miles
$1260, then an additional $4800 for PQM
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1k
Back to 2.1.

20,000 PQM $2,000
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by kyee
I have an SFO-SIN flight coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm being given two very high mileage options:

40k miles
$840, and then an additional $3200 for PQM

60k miles
$1260, then an additional $4800 for PQM
Tasty!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:23 am

Award flight 2.0.

20,000 PQD $1600.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:39 am

Lower than 1.9?

All have now dropped back to 1.9 for me.

Do they ever get lower than this?

I did go back to last years thread and 1.9 seemed pretty rare. 2.1 to 2.3 mostly.
Same apparently for 2013.
I guess 1.9 is not too bad.

Last edited by Asiatraveler15; Feb 26, 2015 at 9:37 am Reason: more info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.