Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
December ORD-LGA Dinner Flight

Seafood Gumbo and Tandoori Chicken

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 18, 2015 at 8:21 pm Reason: Just food pics in this thread please
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
UA 751: EWR-LAX (p.s. dinner)

First time flying p.s. on a 16J configuration. From a service perspective, it was pretty much identical to what I have had on the sUA planes. My only gripe was that the milk for the cookie (which I had never been served before today) was brought around long after I had devoured it.

Front of the menu

Back of the menu. I hadn't ever bothered looking at the back of the new menu, so figured I'd snap a shot.

Red wine to pair with the lamb...took a break from the usual Goose IPA. The FAs kept refilling with generous pours.

Shrimp on the small plate and the beet salad on the larger. The shrimp was alright - I'm not a shrimp fan usually but would have taken another piece. The beet salad was good, but I would have a) made the yellow beet slices smaller, and b) left the grapefruit out entirely (too acidic IMO).

Pretzel roll - tasty as always

Lamb shoulder for the entree. Pretty good flavoring, and unique - peppermint chimichurri is a new one. I like my meat cooked a tad more, but pretty succulent and good flavoring overall. Gnocchi was alright, and I liked the eggplant.

Gelato sundae with strawberry and 'mini chocolate gems'...will remember that is a fancy way of saying M&Ms next time.

Cookie about ~45 minutes prior to landing. Great as always.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I have never seen fits about meal choices to the magnitude I have seen them from pmUA fliers. Not on DL, not on AA, not on old CO or NW.

And the difference...

The inane 'sort meals by status' policy.

Let's get preordering set up so that policy can be put to pasture for good.
We'll it's because pmUA actually catered to its F fliers, including special meal options on ALL flights. Unlike the abysmal policies under Ms. Pineau-Bodson who came from the airline that could only fill its front cabin by giving it away for free and offered low-grade meals, drinks and service to match.

Go back to F catering policies from pmUA along with service standards on every flight sold as United and many of these issues would go away.

Even if UACO tried to catch up to AA, let alone the systems pmUA had, you'd still have the nasty choices like the above LGA...cheap bottom feeding seafood from polluted shores of the Gulf that should never be served on a plane...or the factory farm chicken option...at least it wasn't 2 factory farm chicken options
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
First time flying p.s. on a 16J configuration. From a service perspective, it was pretty much identical to what I have had on the sUA planes. My only gripe was that the milk for the cookie (which I had never been served before today) was brought around long after I had devoured it. ...
That looks like a great meal. Beet salad!

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 21, 2015 at 9:18 am Reason: Removed photos in quote for ease of readers
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Back of the menu. I hadn't ever bothered looking at the back of the new menu, so figured I'd snap a shot.

Shrimp on the small plate and the beet salad on the larger. The shrimp was alright - I'm not a shrimp fan usually but would have taken another piece. The beet salad was good, but I would have a) made the yellow beet slices smaller, and b) left the grapefruit out entirely (too acidic IMO).

Gelato sundae with strawberry and 'mini chocolate gems'...will remember that is a fancy way of saying M&Ms next time.
I still find it funny that United can't be bothered to even list wine as part of their beverage selections on p.s. flights, let alone a specific type. Premium Service...um, no.

Agree that the grapefruit does not go well in the salad. I did enjoy the beets, which I have not eaten in some time. Without the grapefruit, the salad is a winner.

"mini chocolate gems" is not really a fancy way to say M&Ms...it is the "lets not get sued" way to describe off-brand product when they are too cheap to get the real stuff. The same way it was "chocolate cookie-sandwich crumbles" instead of "Oreos".
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Back when United did list wine on PS and international, almost every time it was not the wine catered on the flight. I guess they stopped doing it for this reason. Seems rather silly to me that the coordination is so hard for this
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

"mini chocolate gems" is not really a fancy way to say M&Ms...it is the "lets not get sued" way to describe off-brand product when they are too cheap to get the real stuff. . ..
I think these gems are inspired be cubic zirconia.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Dec. 13
IAH - PVR

Open bar PDBs before we pushed back. Breakfast was the french toast souffle or red pepper frittata. I took the souffle and apparently they didn't cater much of it, or my status was enough to ensure I got one as my neighbor got his 2nd choice. Pretty good - I'd order it again and the cinnamon roll was solid.

Dec. 19
PVR - IAH

I'm really happy they brought meals back to this flight. With the short length, ~2 hrs/891 miles, meals had been enhanced away and last December this was a snack basket.

Open bar PDBs, as usual. I had a buffalo trace and club soda. Drinks were served with warmed cashews and almonds. Lunch options were given as "chicken and rice" or some type of cod fish entree. I went with the chicken and it was really good. Moist and the sauce was good with it. Sorry for the blurry pic. Dinner roll served warm, and the fresh cookie served after the meal was perfect. Could have done without the salad in the corner. It was just shreds of lettuce and there wasn't anything redeemable about it. The Goose IPA was going down easy this afternoon.

Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck

For some reason those Seagram napkins seem odd to me.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
AUS-IAD, A320 Lunch

Choice of salmon salad with fruit side dish (was surprised there was no soup and no bread) or Mexican chicken bowl. Chicken bowl was pretty good, and I was impressed they tried to pull off avocado on a plane, especially with a thru galley. No salad dressing served with the side salad, and some cheese or sour cream would have rounded out the meal a bit better.

Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
That chicken bowl dish looks like it's in need of some kind of sauce....
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jewels421
That chicken bowl dish looks like it's in need of some kind of sauce....
It's served on the side and is pictured just to the left of the main dish, consisting of a salsa and avocado. I had it a few weeks and it's actually quite good.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by demkr
Back when United did list wine on PS and international, almost every time it was not the wine catered on the flight. I guess they stopped doing it for this reason. Seems rather silly to me that the coordination is so hard for this
Sure. I just find it unusual that they don't even do the "wine available, ask flight attendant about today's selection" on p.s. flight menus.

United can't even accurately list specific wines in GlobalFirst, but at least they mention that some kind is available.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
New Prepackaged Cookie in F - FANTASTIC!

I am used to getting the fresh-baked and heated cookies, however, on my transcon a couple of days ago, I received a plastic-wrapped cookie with my dinner. I was initially disappointed but ended-up pleasantly surprised by the delicious chocolate-chip cookie.

The company is, The Christie Cookie Co. - they also make the Doubletree cookies. Website here:

https://www.christiecookies.com

Truly outstanding quality!
Kudos to UA.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
December EWR-SFO PS Dinner Flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.