Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Let's Eat - Domestic/Canada/Latin America First, Business, & p.s. BusinessFirst

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Thursday 1/8

MTJ-ORD CRJ700
PM snack box w/ hummus, pita, cheese spread, crackers, dark chocolate pomegranates.

ORD-LGA (which turned into EWR)
A319 which turned into A320
8pm departure which turned into 2:30am
Selection from the snack basket.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Never thought that I'd say this, but on this route, UA clearly blows AA out of the water on what is served. On "AA" all that you get are some nasty pre-packaged "Lite Bite" sandwiches on a Mesa CR9 that has now taken over the route. UA is the clear winner on this route. AA really needs to step up its game (in general, which is another topic) but glaringly so on this route to compete.
DEN-LAX is pretty good with meals; however it's LAX only for SoCal, as DEN-SNA and DEN-SAN don't get meals. DEN-BUR is sometimes a CR7 with worse catering (snackbox only) than AA. DEN-SBA is usually a CR2, so we won't even mention that one
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
BOS-EWR
09:36-11:00
A319
Meal: Beverage Service

PDB
Choice of Beverage w/ 6.25g of Biscoff (DL offers 25g Biscoff in Y)

EWR-ATL
13:59-16:41
B737-700
Meal: Snack

PDB
Hot Towel, Choice of Beverage
Cold Plate: Stacy's Pita Chips w/Ramekin of Hummus, Couscous w/Feta Artichoke and Red Pepper
Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by RaflW
it was just a tray with a chicken mozzarella sandwich on a small plate ... I had the sandwich and french onion soup.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Warm nuts which were chewy and not crunchy...would rather have them cold.
Same thing here. I guess I hit the jackpot this week. Soft, chewy cashews. Onion soup. That chicken sandwich with melted cheese. Most awful airline meal I've had in over a year. Gave up after a few bites. Arrived hungry.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Same thing here. I guess I hit the jackpot this week. Soft, chewy cashews. Onion soup. That chicken sandwich with melted cheese. Most awful airline meal I've had in over a year. Gave up after a few bites. Arrived hungry.
If that sandwich happens to come w/ the Southwest soup thing, it becomes edible once you dip it in the soup. Haven't tried w/ the french onion.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

p.s. redeye this week offered the cheeseburger as a snack. It was served on a pretzel bun with onion, pickles, tomato slice, mustard, ketchup and a bag of chips. It tasted quite nicely. Overall a welcome change from the cold plate service of last fall.
Most pax preferred to rest/sleep quickly, so FA mentioned they had plenty of leftovers.
Red wine was still very basic.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DEN-ORD
UA 830
pmUA 757-200
No Wifi, No IFE, No power.
3:30P-6:39P (sked)
7:00P-11:50P (actual)
January 8, 2014
Snack

Choice of cold plate or nothing. After nearly 4 hours waiting for the ORD ground stop to end, it was better than the alternative.
Seriously, does anyone actually like this crap?

ORD-DEN
UA 1411
pmCO 757-300
DirecTV and power.
3:00P-4:40P (sked)
3:30P-5:05P (actual)
January 10, 2014
Snack

Patronizing captain blamed delay on cold baggage handlers. Cold?? It was 15F, a heat wave for ORD.
FA didn't appreciate when I laughed at her offer of another effing cold plate.
Fortunately, older and wiser, we had eaten at Wolfgang Puck.

Yo UA, would it kill you to actually serve something edible? AC didn't spend any more on our inbound YUL-ORD snack but the chicken pie with fruit salsa was delicious.
Oh yeah, and on demand movies on an E75.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 11, 2015 at 2:24 pm Reason: typo UA not AA. Oops
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
Choice of cold plate or nothing. After nearly 4 hours waiting for the ORD ground stop to end, it was better than the alternative.
Seriously, does anyone actually like this crap?
So, you still think UA has better food than AA now?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So, you still think UA has better food than AA now?
LOL. Yeah, you're right. They're both in the "dumpster diving" category.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
SFO777 if it was a 757-300 to ORD your flight number or pmUA designation is wrong. pmUA only had 752
On the return your flight number says AA. I was thinking that meal from Puck came from AA.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
SFO777 if it was a 757-300 to ORD your flight number or pmUA designation is wrong. pmUA only had 752
On the return your flight number says AA. I was thinking that meal from Puck came from AA.
Thanks for catching those. My bad. Was UA 1411.
AA would only have the snack basket although that would have been better than the cold plate.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT
Looking at UA704 which is the P.S. SFO-JFK at 8:51PM. It shows as Snack in BusinessFirst - is that correct? No meal on the PS flight? Can anyone weigh in on what exactly is served as a "snack".

Also, are special meals available to be reserved on PS flights or is it only on international?

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hagan73
Looking at UA704 which is the P.S. SFO-JFK at 8:51PM. It shows as Snack in BusinessFirst - is that correct? No meal on the PS flight? Can anyone weigh in on what exactly is served as a "snack".

Also, are special meals available to be reserved on PS flights or is it only on international?

Thanks!
When I flew SFO-JFK red-eye last month, the 'snack' was just a warmed chipotle burrito. Just the burrito and a Ghiradelli chocolate square.

Made the surface area of the tray look huge in comparison.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM
So I have a question.....has there been ANY improvement in UA meals since the "we're improving things" press release came out? I flew UA F for the first time in years last year and was shocked at how horrible of quality the food was compared to my home airline of DL. Has anything changed?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bubbashow
So I have a question.....has there been ANY improvement in UA meals since the "we're improving things" press release came out? I flew UA F for the first time in years last year and was shocked at how horrible of quality the food was compared to my home airline of DL. Has anything changed?
Non-transcon lunches and dinners are better, IMO. The BOB-style sandwiches are more palatable than the old burritos and the variety of salads is an improvement over the shrimp salads of before, with a minor bump upward in quality. Soups, cookies and nuts are about the same.

Not a dramatic, life-changing improvement, but after a few years of eating the same thing over and over on domestic UA flights, it is a refreshing and welcome change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.