Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Looking for Business Award/Upgrade space to Europe -how to find?[2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated - Looking for Business Award/Upgrade space to Europe -how to find?[2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Advice on How to Find First/Business Saver awards from Europe to ORD?

I'm planning a trip to Europe and will be returning in late August. I'm having trouble finding Business Saver award flights back to the US. I searched LHR-ORD, MAD-ORD, AMS-ORD, no dice.

Is there a search tool that will show me all Business Saver awards available from Europe to Chicago? Or should I just continue with guess-and-check?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I found BRU-ORD Aug 27
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:18 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
I see some LHR-ORD in late August on one date, FRA-ORD also seems to have some with connections.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Upgrade to/from Brussels?

It seems that getting an upgrade to and from Brussels is challenging. I can't find any R space open now for the first two weeks in June although the seat maps are wide open (I know the maps don't reflect reality). Using Brussels Air seems to be even more challenging going down the ANA backdoor routine suggested here. What are my chances of 2 GPUs clearing for 2 1Ks between now and June and on UAL? Do I just let go of the idea of upgrading to Europe during the summer?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Brussels is widely reported to be one of the better European gateways in terms of upgrades. However, upgrades for summer travel to any European gateway are difficult.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Agree with jfjv19. I recently got R class at booking a few months ago, but that was for March and May. June-Aug. has always seemed tougher. But I have been watching various TATL routes for this summer and have started to notice the price of various 1-stop business class routes on a number of airlines (UA, AA, DL) at times dipping down to about $3K, which is where I might pay cash anyway. Also, you might try connecting through LHR.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Chances are better, of course, mid-week. And hope there isn't some kind of NATO conference or EU event going on when you're passing through...
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I suggest you look for any TATL flights with R>1. Then piece a multi-city itinerary together connecting in that city.

You probably will find put that BRU TATL flight is no worse than any TATL flight with R>1.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to snag an upgrade today on BRU-EWR.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I suggest you look for any TATL flights with R>1. Then piece a multi-city itinerary together connecting in that city.

You probably will find put that BRU TATL flight is no worse than any TATL flight with R>1.
Is there a free resource to obtain information on "R" availability?

Thanks.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
Is there a free resource to obtain information on "R" availability?

Thanks.
Other than united.com --- no.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Other than united.com --- no.
Thanks, WineCountryUA. I have looked at the UA website (even before my last post, and could not find how to access this information. I went to "Advanced Search" and entered "R" in fare class, but got an error code. Can you provide me the benefit of your experience? Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, WineCountryUA. I have looked at the UA website (even before my last post, and could not find how to access this information. I went to "Advanced Search" and entered "R" in fare class, but got an error code. Can you provide me the benefit of your experience? Thanks!
You can not use Flight Search with R fare preference.
You can search for essentially the same thing by selecting the "MileagePlus Upgrade Award "search option in Advance Search.
Also you can manual scan for R using Expert Mode (and add one of browser scripts -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html)
Old Jun 6, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not use Flight Search with R fare preference.
You can search for essentially the same thing by selecting the "MileagePlus Upgrade Award "search option in Advance Search.
Also you can manual scan for R using Expert Mode (and add one of browser scripts -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html)
Thanks. I thought there was something else that was super-secret, but I have been using the Award Search function forever. Wish it would return more GF than it has been of late
Old Jun 6, 2015, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks. I thought there was something else that was super-secret, but I have been using the Award Search function forever. Wish it would return more GF than it has been of late
The award search function will not show you R space.

As WineCountryUA explained, your options are (1) expert mode, (2) check the "Upgrade Award" box in Advanced Search, or (3) one of the various tools, such as the Google Chrome extension which WC linked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.