Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Looking for Business Award/Upgrade space to Europe -how to find?[2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated - Looking for Business Award/Upgrade space to Europe -how to find?[2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spearsba
FWIW as 1K I am not seeing any saver award availability for that route and time frame. For standard awards, the LH flight you want does not show up. IMHO the C product on the LH A380 is not as nice as the upstairs C product on the UA 744, which is available. I take it you have 600,000 miles to use.

As mentioned above, book now. Maybe what you want will open up and you can pay to change. As a Silver you can change without a fee up to 21 days prior to travel. I too would look at other arrival destinations in Europe.
No standard award space on LH unfortunately
-------
OP, the free advice here is great, but you may wish to consider hiring an award booking service if you find yourself spending hours searching each day.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MP / *A Silver
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. I agree a business class seat on a UA 744 would be better than economy in an LH A388.

To be really clear though: I don't necessarily need business class all the way to GVA -- FRA-GVA in economy is fine -- all I care about is the SFO-FRA leg (and its return too of course).
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by crosvs
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. I agree a business class seat on a UA 744 would be better than economy in an LH A388.

To be really clear though: I don't necessarily need business class all the way to GVA -- FRA-GVA in economy is fine -- all I care about is the SFO-FRA leg (and its return too of course).
Yes, do not concern yourself with this. For the most part, any "business" class product intra-Europe is going to consist of nothing more than the same seats as in economy, just in the front of the plane with the center seat blocked, with possibly slightly better meals.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 2:06 pm

I normally buy tickets to Euro last minute (under 21 days) and on united usually there is tons of Biz saver availability. Looking for ticket lately though and there doesn't seem to be much at all. I'm talking United/Lufthansa/Swiss, etc. The only availability is in the upcoming week, and then there is nothing even months out, is there a reason why?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:22 pm

Question Need Advice SEA-IST-IBZ-SEA

Hi Guys,
Need some advice in booking award tickets for the wifey and I to Europe for this summer. We are planning on going to IST and IBZ in August. We would be departing from SEA and are open to returning from any airport (FRA/ZRH/MUC or any other airport). I have been searching for award inventory on united's site for 2 in business for about 3 weeks now, but have not been able to find anything yet. For outbound I was able to find only a mixed connection through Toronto (sea-toronto (economy) - ist (business on air canada or turkish)). Nothing business all throughout For returns nothing is available in business.

I've tried connecting through multiple different airports but all in vain. Any advice you guys can give? Have the award inventories been opened yet or are already sold out?

Trips dates fall between 08/02 - 08/23.

Thanks for the advice as usual.

Nitin
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nit407
Have the award inventories been opened yet or are already sold out?
There's neither a scheduled opening time nor publicly-known maximum allocation. It seems to be far more dynamic than that.

There's plenty of ways to get there at standard rates, but you're about 5 months late to start looking for 2 seats together in business class for peak season at saver rates...

Last edited by mduell; Mar 8, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Good luck finding award seats.

Not that you have a spare $8-$9K lying around, but thats about what it would cost you to book it in paid business. Thats not so bad for a business class ticket in peak summer.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Finding any award seats (business or economy) to IBZ in August is going to be a major challenge. OTOH, paid flights from mainland Spain to IBZ are cheap. You may want to see if you can find flights from BCN/MAD (likely hard too, but not as crazy hard as IBZ) and pick up a cheap paid fare to get to/from IBZ from the mainland.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I've tried connecting through multiple different airports but all in vain. Any advice you guys can give? Have the award inventories been opened yet or are already sold out?

Trips dates fall between 08/02 - 08/23.

Thanks for the advice as usual.

Nitin
I already have F and J award flight booked at that time. I booked the tickets 6+ months ago, but have continued to monitor availability because I'd like my J return to change to F, or at least a better J connection. I have steadily seen the availability go from slim to none. Keep on checking....

Last edited by 747FC; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:48 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Finding any award seats (business or economy) to IBZ in August is going to be a major challenge. OTOH, paid flights from mainland Spain to IBZ are cheap. You may want to see if you can find flights from BCN/MAD (likely hard too, but not as crazy hard as IBZ) and pick up a cheap paid fare to get to/from IBZ from the mainland.
That's what I have been trying to do also, but looks like I am a bit too late. Will continue to monitor the seats and then decide. Any suggestions on how to monitor the seats on a daily basis other than searching manually everyday?

Last edited by nit407; Mar 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not dreamy. Not even close. Would not burn 140,000 miles for a simple RT from the east coast.

The LX seat is uncomfortable. It's hard and there's a noticeable seam. I much prefer the sUA seat for cushion comfort (though the single LX seats are much better for space and privacy).

TK is the best TATL product I've flown. OS gets equally high marks (though I haven't flown it yet). Both use Do&Co catering, which is as good as airplane food gets.
Just a note to you on OS (which I've flown) - it's said that the OS seat is pretty much the same seat in business as the LX seat (which I have not flown). FWIW since you don't seem to care for the LX seat you may not like OS.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
That's what I have been trying to do also, but looks like I am a bit too late. Will continue to monitor the seats and then decide. Any suggestions on how to monitor the seats on a daily basis other than searching manually everyday?
Book a non-preferred routing or date (any carrier). You can then waitlist for the preferred routing/date (but only on UA metal).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:27 pm

I was able to find some flights. Question - Would this be a valid routing scenario -

SEA-IAH-MIA (Stop for 2 days) (UA Metal)
MIA-LIS (TAP Portugal)
IST - VIE - AMS (overnight stop in AMS) - SEA (Turkish & UA)

LIS (/IBZ) - IST - book separate flights

Thanks,
Nitin
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I was able to find some flights. Question - Would this be a valid routing scenario -

SEA-IAH-MIA (Stop for 2 days) (UA Metal)
MIA-LIS (TAP Portugal)
IST - VIE - AMS (overnight stop in AMS) - SEA (Turkish & UA)

LIS (/IBZ) - IST - book separate flights

Thanks,
Nitin
Why don't you call United and see?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Why don't you call United and see?
I figured, I'll get the expert opinion here before calling United and getting the run around from customer care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.