Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you flown UA/ANA to Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This is what I have heard at well from some friends that work at NH and should be phased in soon. I too agree that the NH product in Y is punishing for an average sized westerner...

I'm currently at BKK TG F lounge after a very fun night in N\BKK celebrating the new year - now heading back to Tokyo to recover on the TG 380 in F - OMG the service here on TG is phenomenal - I have my own private suite in the F lounge after being driven here on a cart with a bunch of people to take care of everything.... I forgot what an international F lounge is really like lol... Of course it cost me 120k miles roundtrip but damn - this is almost worth it...
Yes, NH BKK-Tokyo in Y is painful. Unfortunately so is UA's coming reward mile earning "devaluation" in March.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Some fares on UA.bomb from SFO HKG on UA then connect on CX HKG-BKK

Do you get UA miles on the CX portion?
They dont appear to be any type of partner

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boycruz
Do you get UA miles on the CX portion?
No. But UA will graciously interline your bags, even after March 1, so long as you buy it all on one ticket
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by geofflaredo
The way we handled it this time: we had tix HKG-BKK on Ethiopian. I also had award tix on TG's first flight out of HKG (arranged that purchase through UA) in the morning, just in case. The connection worked, and when i got into BKK i went online and cancelled the TG itin. Refund of the small charge appeared immediately, and the miles will follow.
Since we are talking about ways to improve the comfort of the trip, I'll point out that Ethiopian is no picnic. It's definitely worse than anything else flying that route....

I flew them not long ago BKK ADD CAI on the same jet that makes the HKG connection. What a trip.... Even business class was a wreck.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
A very interesting thread, and it's good that I learned that the NRT-BKK on ANA in Y is no picnic.

Based out of PHL, I'm planning for our trip to Southeast Asia in the fall, and BKK will be part of the itinerary, but I do have the flexibility and the intention to make a stopover in SGN. So I will do either EWR-HKG-SGN on UA with GPU then SGN-BKK either on TG or Vietnam Airlines, or PHL-ORD-HKG-SGN then BKK, or PHL-SFO-HKG-SGN then BKK.

What does everyone think? A 24 hours or 48 hours layover in Vietnam is not a bad thing, especially if you're doing a MR
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
As noted elsewhere, a heads-up that UA flyers, with Star Alliance Gold status (i.e. UA Gold or higher), on ECONOMY ex-BKK for the USA issued on or after January 8, 2015, will get 3x50lb free baggage allowance.

The interesting twist, still unanswered, is for UA flyers who have upgraded their NRT-US portion to BUSINESS (using miles, GPU, etc.) but who will be departing BKK on NH in ECONOMY as their upgrades don't extend to NH. Will the "dominant carrier rule" apply, allowing 3x70lbs (per UA benefits), or will NH enforce 3x50lbs?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Do what I did...

Do what I did: Move on... to OneWorld ("non, rien de rien, non je ne regrette rien!")
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have seen ua.com offer the HKG routing at the very lowest fare buckets, but the routing disappears when specify W or higher buckets.
Regardless of route, I book the lowest fare buckets on multi-segment itineraries then phone in and upfare only the segment that I'd like upgraded.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Do what I did: Move on... to OneWorld ("non, rien de rien, non je ne regrette rien!")
And pay 50% more for a flight that takes several hours longer?

No good options out of SFO other than UA.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
CX one stop via HKG. Better than any UA option. Unless you're trying to use a GPU; that's UA's continuing advantage
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Why not EVA? You can earn miles, it has Y, (real) Y+, J.

The schedules seem fine you can leave SFO at Midnight:40 or 1:15am and arrive the same day in BKK before noon.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
CX one stop via HKG. Better than any UA option. Unless you're trying to use a GPU; that's UA's continuing advantage
$300 more departing BKK first, $400 more departing SFO first.

And then I have no status on any US carrier.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
NRT-BKK

co-worker jeff is killing asia hubs and doing 87s from the us left coast. but i am mostly tokyo-based. i used to have regular runs to bkk and sea. both gone now. bkk station closed, 50 people laid off. second tokyo to sfo flight moved from narita to haneda and staffed by ana (who jeff can pay less). seattle flight attendant hub closed. mene mene tekel upharsin.

i do a bunch of paid biz rtws. first one this year is one world. i got the message jeff.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:10 pm

And then I have no status on any US carrier.
And there's the real bottom line. If it wasn't for the FF program and corporate contracts, UA would sell considerably fewer tickets TPAC.

You can fly CX and credit to AA (though not on discount economy fares). There are other options.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Why not EVA? You can earn miles, it has Y, (real) Y+, J.

The schedules seem fine you can leave SFO at Midnight:40 or 1:15am and arrive the same day in BKK before noon.
Are you aware many BR discount Y fares actually earn ZERO miles ?

Yea BR has Y+, do you know how much is it ? It often price as $600+ more than Y per one way for TPAC, so that is close to discount business on other airlines !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.