FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Advice Sought on the Best Option for Flying SFO-FRA in Economy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1640956-advice-sought-best-option-flying-sfo-fra-economy.html)

BruceWG Dec 29, 2014 8:30 am

Advice Sought on the Best Option for Flying SFO-FRA in Economy

I will be traveling SFO - FRA in mid-January. I am UA silver and most likely this will be my only significant trip in 2015 so reaching status (unfortunately) won't be a top priority.

I have to book through my company travel site and it appears I have two options: UA 747 nonstop or LH A380 nonstop. Additionally I can book the LH flight as LH or a UA codeshare. Booking classes would appear to be in T or W. Due to possible complications with booking via our travel site I am not planning to be able to upgrade with miles to business class, etc.

I last flew a 747 international in coach years ago and it was miserable. For that reason (even with the possible upgrade to economy plus on the day of the flight) I believe I'll be better off on the A380.

Two questions:

Any reason to choose the UA 747 over LH 380 that I've not considered?

Better to book the LH flight as a UA codeshare or LH flight and ensure miles are posted to my UA account?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

sbm12 Dec 29, 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by BruceWG (Post 24066973)
Any reason to choose the UA 747 over LH 380 that I've not considered?

Lifetime miles?? But I doubt that really matters for you.

Originally Posted by BruceWG (Post 24066973)
Better to book the LH flight as a UA codeshare or LH flight and ensure miles are posted to my UA account?

Doesn't matter.

If it were after March when the earning rules change you'd have to figure out if the fare or the miles would earn you more and then book based on that.

BruceWG Dec 29, 2014 8:59 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 24067001)
Lifetime miles?? But I doubt that really matters for you.

Actually I had not considered that - I'm stuck at about 875,000 lifetime miles and not likely to reach 1M, but of course every little bit helps....does the UA 747 flight count where the UA codeshare with LH would not count?

Thanks,
Bruce

cfischer Dec 29, 2014 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BruceWG (Post 24067127)
Actually I had not considered that - I'm stuck at about 875,000 lifetime miles and not likely to reach 1M, but of course every little bit helps....does the UA 747 flight count where the UA codeshare with LH would not count?

Thanks,
Bruce

flight must be UA-operated to count towards LT miles.

Everything being equal the LH experience should be better and pre 3/1/15 earned miles will be the same either way.

Kacee Dec 29, 2014 9:20 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 24067205)

Everything being equal the LH experience should be better and pre 3/1/15 earned miles will be the same either way.

I'm not sure the "LH experience" in Y on a 380 is something any of us would particularly wish to actually experience. 10 across, with 31" pitch.

Basically, both of the SFO-FRA options suck in Y.

cfischer Dec 29, 2014 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 24067237)
I'm not sure the "LH experience" in Y on a 380 is something any of us would particularly wish to actually experience. 10 across, with 31" pitch.

Basically, both of the SFO-FRA options suck in Y.

the free booze on LH will make the pain more palatable :D I agree, neither option in E- is particularly appealing. IFE, food, booze better on LH IMO.

Kacee Dec 29, 2014 9:41 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 24067291)
the free booze on LH will make the pain more palatable :D I agree, neither option in E- is particularly appealing. IFE, food, booze better on LH IMO.

The IFE on the 380 gets dreadful reviews. Poor selection and unwieldy IT. Of course, UA's 744 just has the streaming entertainment and limited aircraft with in-seat power. If I had to fly this route in Y, I would seriously look at connecting. Perhaps SFO-LHR-FRA, SFO-CDG-FRA, or SFO-IAH-FRA.

CAPT Tee Dec 29, 2014 9:43 am

LH A380 has AVOD and UA B747 does not.
UA B747 has E+ and LH 380 does not.
UA flight earns Lifetime miles, LH flight does not.
LH has marginally better service in E than UA E

If I have to choose, I go with UA. 875K miles is so close to achieving 1MM.

BruceWG Dec 29, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks for the good info

More to consider....and I had not thought of everything. As always, great info here. I didn't realize coach in the A380 was that bad.....might just revisit the UA flight with the possible day of flight E+ upgrade and LT miles, or a connection. For what it's worth....I don't drink...so that won't be any help :)

Bruce

BruceWG Dec 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Connections

If I do a connection to get a 777 across the pond it appears I have 3 reasonable options:

UA 1583 320 to EWR UA 968 777 to FRA 5 hours in EWR
UA 1725 757 to IAD UA 932 777 to FRA 51 min. connection
UA 728 757 to ORD UA 907 777 to FRA 1:45 connection

Any thoughts on best option? I would think getting E+ on the 777 on the day of departure would be highest priority.

1353513636 Dec 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by BruceWG (Post 24070059)
If I do a connection to get a 777 across the pond it appears I have 3 reasonable options:

UA 1583 320 to EWR UA 968 777 to FRA 5 hours in EWR
UA 1725 757 to IAD UA 932 777 to FRA 51 min. connection
UA 728 757 to ORD UA 907 777 to FRA 1:45 connection

Any thoughts on best option? I would think getting E+ on the 777 on the day of departure would be highest priority.

I would go via ORD. IAD connection is a bit short and EWR connection is too long.

Eastbay1K Dec 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by 1353513636 (Post 24070258)
I would go via ORD. IAD connection is a bit short and EWR connection is too long.

The OP is much better going on a nonstop. I've never flown A380Y, but the SFO birds should have the better IFE.

January from SFO on a domestic flight is a recipe for not making a connection. While the on-time gods might shine kindly upon you, why have the potential tsuris? Whatever you do, take a nonstop. The G gate areas are nice, once you get in the air, you know you should end up where you are going, and January from SFO on a domestic flight is a recipe for not making a connection.

Did I mention that January from SFO on a domestic flight is a recipe for not making a connection?

BruceWG Dec 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 24070284)
The OP is much better going on a nonstop. I've never flown A380Y, but the SFO birds should have the better IFE.

January from SFO on a domestic flight is a recipe for not making a connection. While the on-time gods might shine kindly upon you, why have the potential tsuris? Whatever you do, take a nonstop. The G gate areas are nice, once you get in the air, you know you should end up where you are going, and January from SFO on a domestic flight is a recipe for not making a connection.

Did I mention that January from SFO on a domestic flight is a recipe for not making a connection?

As a native born and raised San Franciscan I know just what you mean :) Good point!

rworne Dec 29, 2014 9:32 pm

I've flown the SFO-FRA route twice, it's a miserable experience in Y.

I do not know what the status of the new United WiFi is on that route, but the 747 looks like a relic from the late 80's, with IFE being CRT's hanging from the ceiling. If they have been upgraded, then please disregard.

The IFE on an A380 is remarkably clunky and slow, but it's better than United in this case.

The best I've done on that is IAH-FRA on a LH A380. I liked the 380.

If you are not flying E+ on United, then LH would be the better choice IMHO unless you are going for the lifetime status.

points_maniac Dec 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by rworne (Post 24070593)
I've flown the SFO-FRA route twice, it's a miserable experience in Y.

I do not know what the status of the new United WiFi is on that route, but the 747 looks like a relic from the late 80's, with IFE being CRT's hanging from the ceiling. If they have been upgraded, then please disregard.

The IFE on an A380 is remarkably clunky and slow, but it's better than United in this case.

The best I've done on that is IAH-FRA on a LH A380. I liked the 380.

If you are not flying E+ on United, then LH would be the better choice IMHO unless you are going for the lifetime status.

So you like the A380 flying from IAD but not when it flies from SFO? I think you meant the 747-800 flying from IAD. :D