Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling with an Emotional Support/Service animal on UA Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with an Emotional Support/Service animal on UA Q&A [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by morelegroom
My wife is completely neurologically disabled SSDI etc. Lots of medical documentation. But she can walk 100 feet.

Your comment is a disgrace.
No need for documentation. If someone has a need, they have a need. You do not owe anyone an explanation.

I would hope the commenter was talking about the fakers... 100 feet is a very short distance. Baggage claim to a parked car - if that was his/her intent - is obviously much farther.

I think we have all experienced the folks that can barely walk onto the plane and then race you off the plane - I hope that is what the commenter was talking about.

FA's talk about the fall snow bird salvation flight people... Up to 1/3 wheelchairs to get on the flight in the North and very few upon landing of the flight down south.

So if anything, we should all be angry at the fakers, the real disgrace. But feel free to be angry at commenter too. Or me
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Sakonnetview
I never really thought about this but flying on US this week I sat across from a woman with a small dog in her lap the entire flight. She was in the bulkhead row of FC and obviously had to put the carrier overhead. I didn't know you could even do that. I believe she mentioned it was a service animal but it clearly was just a pet. Dog was great, better than most kids.
You're really not supposed to do that, according to US' policy. In fact, the only time service animals are even mentioned is with respect to Hawaii:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...pets.html?re=1

I book in row 2 for that very reason and as US a319 flyers know, the space under the seat is terrible, even a small dog bag.

It seems like at the very least United has a policy for emotional support animals. It may be completely abused, but at least there's a policy. I will add that JetBlue is actually pretty strict with the 'pet stays in the bag' rule. One time my little guy had his head out and I was told he has to remain completely in the carrier.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by 110pgl
No need for documentation. If someone has a need, they have a need. You do not owe anyone an explanation.

I would hope the commenter was talking about the fakers... 100 feet is a very short distance. Baggage claim to a parked car - if that was his/her intent - is obviously much farther.

I think we have all experienced the folks that can barely walk onto the plane and then race you off the plane - I hope that is what the commenter was talking about.

FA's talk about the fall snow bird salvation flight people... Up to 1/3 wheelchairs to get on the flight in the North and very few upon landing of the flight down south.

So if anything, we should all be angry at the fakers, the real disgrace. But feel free to be angry at commenter too. Or me
My wife is very distressed at the thought that she inconveniences any other passengers so she always walks on and off the plane. Many people with neurological conditions function much better when it is warm. Jetways are cold in the north and warm in the south in winter. Also by the time she gets to the Jetway DW is routinely exhausted. She does much better after several hours of sleep on the plane.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by denver19
In the few times I have been on a plane with a service dog, I always found them really charming. Real service dogs are well behaved, cute and kind of fun on board.
A genuine service animal is easy to spot, and not just because its human may have draped a vest over it. Their demeanor is great. I've seen them curl up very small on the cabin floor against their peoples' legs and remain serene and unperturbed by noise, motion or turbulence for hours at a time. How do they not need to relieve themselves for four or five hours? I've never seen a real service animal cause trouble. Fake "support animals," on the other hand, are a different story, getting out of hand and bothering people, and when their humans claim "support" status it hurts the rep of real service animals.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:17 am

My wife is very distressed at the thought that she inconveniences any other passengers so she always walks on and off the plane. Many people with neurological conditions function much better when it is warm. Jetways are cold in the north and warm in the south in winter. Also by the time she gets to the Jetway DW is routinely exhausted. She does much better after several hours of sleep on the plane.
Put her at ease knowing that 99.9% of us flyers are perfectly fine waiting for someone with a medical condition. And who cares about the other 0.1%!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Put her at ease knowing that 99.9% of us flyers are perfectly fine waiting for someone with a medical condition. And who cares about the other 0.1%!
Don't you think that it is ways too obvious where you pulled these numbers from?

The concern is a real one - people get irritated if they feel that the medical condition is just used a pretence or entirely fabricated. And while some people had it coming - during my last departure from FRA a guy with a bandaged finger was using the disabled boarding sequence - I feel for those who have a nearly invisible impairment as they get the brunt en lieu of the abusers.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by weero
Don't you think that it is ways too obvious where you pulled these numbers from?

The concern is a real one - people get irritated if they feel that the medical condition is just used a pretence or entirely fabricated. And while some people had it coming - during my last departure from FRA a guy with a bandaged finger was using the disabled boarding sequence - I feel for those who have a nearly invisible impairment as they get the brunt en lieu of the abusers.
The numbers... sure... I guess I HOPE 99.9% of people don't mind people waiting for people with real medical issues.

But, as you mention above, a fair amount are fakes - and I understand people's frustrations. For these fakers, I believe karma comes to get you sooner or later! (I am not pretending to know who are the fakers, but some are obvious. I will let others judge them.)
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1MM - Platinum. Southwest A-list preferred. Hilton Diamond (10+ years)
My wife is completely neurologically disabled SSDI etc. Lots of medical documentation. But she can walk 100 feet.

Your comment is a disgrace.
No offense to your wife. I was implying the ones that abuse the system and claim disabilities just to pre-board and cut through security. Just like the people that suddenly develop a handicap when they arrive at Disneyland.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by DougieDugDug
No offense to your wife. I was implying the ones that abuse the system and claim disabilities just to pre-board and cut through security. Just like the people that suddenly develop a handicap when they arrive at Disneyland.
And like Disneyland, airlines will eventually get fed up with this. Again, why would anyone pay a pet fee going forward?

Disney - after seeing the 'medically challenged' swell - changed its policy. Now they wait there turn like everyone else. My guess is there has been a multitude of miracle cures at Disney!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
You're really not supposed to do that, according to US' policy. In fact, the only time service animals are even mentioned is with respect to Hawaii:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...pets.html?re=1
You linked to the wrong page and that's why you didn't find anything about service animals or emotional support animals:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...s/animals.html

If the woman said it was a "service animal," then it was probably her emotional support dog, and it can sit on her lap if she prefers.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
It seems like at the very least United has a policy for emotional support animals. It may be completely abused, but at least there's a policy. I will add that JetBlue is actually pretty strict with the 'pet stays in the bag' rule. One time my little guy had his head out and I was told he has to remain completely in the carrier.
Every domestic airline (and, I suspect, so do most foreign carriers) has a policy covering service animals and emotional support animals.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:43 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aerotekgeek
Nope federal law states people do not have provide information on the service dogs they bring on the plane. At most the United reps can ask "what service does the dog provide?"

It's reached the point where it is just a way to avoid paying the pet fee.
Oh man ... I wish I had thought of that before I paid $500 rt to fly my dog Sea-JFK in 2002.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: AA PLT AAirpass, MR Plat Premier, SPG Gld, UA Silver
Emotional support animals are a scam

Originally Posted by johnden
Typically for an emotional comfort animal you need:

1) A cute animal that is not a menace
2) A letter from a psychologist with a diagnosis and a comment than an an animal "may" make you happier/healthier/etc.

You can then get around almost any pet-related rule. Housing and transportation are areas that are usually included for an emotional comfort animal.
The concept of "emotional support" animals is the biggest scam out there and is mainly used by people to get around paying additional fees to transport their pets. I know a girl who decided it was cheaper to call her pet an emotional support animal than to pay to transport it. She would tell people that due to HIPAA they couldn't ask other than to confirm it was for emotional support. I wish the airlines would crack down on this ridiculous loophole and stop this practice.

For the record, I have no issue with (and am quite impressed by) true service animals helping people who really need the mobility assistance, as long as they are trained as such. But this whole notion of mental crackpots needing to take their pets on planes because they're emotionally unstable is ridiculous. If they're that emotionally unstable, they best just stay at home.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..For these fakers, I believe karma comes to get you sooner or later!..
Not being a Buddhist, I'd prefer a more secular approach.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by jasonw3
....I know a girl who decided it was cheaper to call her pet an emotional support animal than to pay to transport it. She would tell people that due to HIPAA they couldn't ask other than to confirm it was for emotional support. I wish the airlines would crack down on this ridiculous loophole and stop this practice...
Any airline that falls for that crap deserves what they get. The regs clearly state you can ask several questions about the animal and the how the animal helps with the medical issue.

Originally Posted by PBQ
Oh man ... I wish I had thought of that before I paid $500 rt to fly my dog Sea-JFK in 2002.
Yup. Sucker!

I did the same thing - I paid $500 as well... for one trip. I was a sucker too!

In the future - $99 for an annual pass with unlimited trips. A much better deal.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 6:21 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Just a heads up that this thread has, at times, drifted from flying United with a service animal. Please keep to the topic.

Thanks.
l'etoile
UA moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.