Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Error message after payment page on united.com

Error message after payment page on united.com

Old Mar 5, 16, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EDIflyer View Post
I've just found out today that you get a similar error if trying to book a cash ticket with no UA segments!

Was looking at booking a redemption on SN (BRU-EDI) - availability fine, but when offered a decent price for cash instead - tried to pay that, getting the whole way through all stages of payment, only to find that it bombed out with a 'there has been an error' message. Tried fresh non-redemption search and same option - called call centre and told that they're not allowed to sell cash tickets without a UA segment. Would be nice if the website made that clear too rather than returning results!

The website doesn't tell you that because it's not true. You can purchase the ticket on the website. But there is likely something wrong with the faring or inventory that's not matching up to SHARES.
Old Mar 6, 16, 8:36 am

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa View Post
The website doesn't tell you that because it's not true. You can purchase the ticket on the website. But there is likely something wrong with the faring or inventory that's not matching up to SHARES.
Hmm, interesting - have put a contact form into customer services to see what they say. I looked at a couple of other Star Alliance-only flights and UA.com was coming out cheaper than any other website - it does make me wonder if either they aren't updating their prices and then glitching when trying to book, or mistakenly showing some sort of connecting flight only pricing that is then not permitted without a married segment - in any case not great from an IT POV!
Old Mar 6, 16, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EDIflyer View Post
I've just found out today that you get a similar error if trying to book a cash ticket with no UA segments!

Was looking at booking a redemption on SN (BRU-EDI) - availability fine, but when offered a decent price for cash instead - tried to pay that, getting the whole way through all stages of payment, only to find that it bombed out with a 'there has been an error' message. Tried fresh non-redemption search and same option - called call centre and told that they're not allowed to sell cash tickets without a UA segment. Would be nice if the website made that clear too rather than returning results!
Does it create the reservation but just not ticket it?

I ask because I used that approach not long ago on BKK-CNX, an itin offered entirely on TG metal but for which I wanted the PQD. IIRC, I got an error after the payment page and had to call in, and the agent was originally skeptical that she could ticket it--but she checked with her pricing desk and did so without issue.
Old Mar 6, 16, 2:57 pm

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Nope it just spits out an error saying to call the call centre - no reservation is made and no reference number given.
Old Mar 6, 16, 6:22 pm

I have had this quite a bit using .bomb lately. Getting all the way through the process and it errors after payment telling me to call in.

Every time I call in I am advised the website is selling me an invalid fare combination. The rep is usually just as confused as I am but honestly not surprised as they say it happens frequently.

They do the perfunctory call over to web "support" and open up a ticket that goes into some (circular) file and it continually happens.

They pretend to care (maybe they actually do and are likely just totally unempowered to effect any meaningful change), act like they're doing me a favor in "waiving the phone booking fee" (seriously? Get out of here with that "we're doing you a favor" BS when the website won't work), value my XXXX membership and loyalty, and I thank them until the next time this ridiculousness has to happen.

I am trying to give United my $$$ and they are making it hard.

I don't want to have to call in. It takes 5x as long as just doing it online. And I miss out on the $5/itinerary bonus (call me a cheapskate, but it adds up), and it's just a pain in the ... to call when I could be booking from inflight wifi (calling not possible), meetings, or other situations I can't call.

It's not called .bomb for nothing...and now it looks swanky and sleek, it still doesn't work any better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: