Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Old Dec 31, 2022, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive

I am hoping that when I check in for this flight on the UA site, I will be able to get boarding passes for both the UA segment and the LH segment that I no longer see on the UA site.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 25, 2024 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DLrunner
I am hoping that when I check in for this flight on the UA site, I will be able to get boarding passes for both the UA segment and the LH segment that I no longer see on the UA site.
yes, that is generally not an issue at all. Don't get UA to mess with the reservation or ticket. As long as it shows fine in lufthansa.com you are all set.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Another weird thing happened at check in. The 2nd segment operated by LH showed up ahead of the first segment operated by UA. So the agent had to call help desk to sort out. While they were able to check bags all the way through, they were able to only give a boarding pass for the first segment and I have to get the 2nd boarding pass at MUC.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLrunner
Another weird thing happened at check in. The 2nd segment operated by LH showed up ahead of the first segment operated by UA. So the agent had to call help desk to sort out. While they were able to check bags all the way through, they were able to only give a boarding pass for the first segment and I have to get the 2nd boarding pass at MUC.
you got a bad agent. Segment out of order is pretty simple to solve ... ouch ... outsourced? Go to the FCL at MUC (if C --> F) or else the SEN lounge (might need to convince the dragon guarding the door ) at H21 with your reservation details ... they should be able to print your BP.
SPN Lifer and DLrunner like this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: MP
Hi all! New here and looking to upgrade either an SFO-MUC/SFO-FRA segment in May.

A question: How does one check the chances of an upgrade on LH? With UA metal flights, one can use expert mode and check load.

Also, would "Economy (Q) (most restrictive)" qualify for the upgrade?

Thanks!

Last edited by wanderingshi; Jan 11, 2023 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingshi
Hi all! New here and looking to upgrade either an SFO-MUC/SFO-FRA segment in May.

A question: How does one check the chances of an upgrade on LH? With UA metal flights, one can use expert mode and check load.

Also, would "Economy (Q) (most restrictive)" qualify for the upgrade?
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html

"Q" appears to be an eligible booking code for PlusPoints on LH. No good way to verify loads/clearance chances. There is some reports that "I" inventory does play some role, but the exact criteria LH uses to release upgrades with UA-supported instruments is unclear. The PlusPoints will be deducted from time of request until the flight takes place.
fryguy89 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html

"Q" appears to be an eligible booking code for PlusPoints on LH. No good way to verify loads/clearance chances. There is some reports that "I" inventory does play some role, but the exact criteria LH uses to release upgrades with UA-supported instruments is unclear. The PlusPoints will be deducted from time of request until the flight takes place.
Thanks! Does I inventory = award inventory?

Also, what have people's odds looked like lately? Seems like a lot more success stories than not.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Does I inventory = award inventory?

Also, what have people's odds looked like lately? Seems like a lot more success stories than not.
LH >> UA. Will depend on 'when in May'.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
LH >> UA. Will depend on 'when in May'.
I'm assuming earlier May is probably better?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Early May is probably slightly better than late May, but day of week matters more than week of month, IMO. If you can fly midweek, your chances should be higher.

That said, I certainly wouldn't count on an ex-SFO upgrade coming through in the summer months. Nonstops from the west coast to Europe are very popular relative to the available supply of premium seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming earlier May is probably better?
mid week and staying away from any conferences ... LH clears even out of SFO, but it is not a guarantee of course
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh man, I got a lemon of an agent and supervisor this afternoon. Pretty standard. 016 ticket in D-class ... calling for flight number conversions.

1) After a long hold I was told: You need to go back to your TA to make this change
2) After another long hold I was told: We can only convert the outbound, but not the inbound (which was J9 --> P9 )
3) I was then berated why I purchased a UA ticket when all the flights are on LH

Gave up ... will call again tomorrow and hope for better agents.
Has been a long time since I last had issues w/ this ... sigh
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 9:29 pm

You have been lucky. I had flight numbers changed 3 times in the last 2 months. The fastest change involved one, the lengthiest 6 HUCAs. Well, I used chat the last time, to document how poorly trained many reps are. In each case, the first response was "this cannot be done", by the agent, then after consultation with a supervisor. Once I found an agent who knew, it took a few minutes to make the change.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
You have been lucky. I had flight numbers changed 3 times in the last 2 months. The fastest change involved one, the lengthiest 6 HUCAs. Well, I used chat the last time, to document how poorly trained many reps are. In each case, the first response was "this cannot be done", by the agent, then after consultation with a supervisor. Once I found an agent who knew, it took a few minutes to make the change.
called again today. Change was made. Upgrade confirmed
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Thinking of using PP to confirm an upgrade on an intra-Europe flight connecting from a United TATL flight. I know it’s a bad use of PP; however, they’re going to expire anyways.

Will I experience any issues checking in with United and checking my bag through? I’m mindful that folks have said that they’ve seen upgraded segments drop off of their itinerary on United.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.