FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,.. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1635985-lh-electronic-pluspts-upgrades-how-use-will-clear-issues-w-flight-credit.html)

DLrunner Dec 31, 2022 9:14 am

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

I am hoping that when I check in for this flight on the UA site, I will be able to get boarding passes for both the UA segment and the LH segment that I no longer see on the UA site.

cfischer Jan 1, 2023 6:07 am

Originally Posted by DLrunner (Post 34879844)
I am hoping that when I check in for this flight on the UA site, I will be able to get boarding passes for both the UA segment and the LH segment that I no longer see on the UA site.

yes, that is generally not an issue at all. Don't get UA to mess with the reservation or ticket. As long as it shows fine in lufthansa.com you are all set.

DLrunner Jan 3, 2023 2:14 pm

Another weird thing happened at check in. The 2nd segment operated by LH showed up ahead of the first segment operated by UA. So the agent had to call help desk to sort out. While they were able to check bags all the way through, they were able to only give a boarding pass for the first segment and I have to get the 2nd boarding pass at MUC.

cfischer Jan 3, 2023 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by DLrunner (Post 34889289)
Another weird thing happened at check in. The 2nd segment operated by LH showed up ahead of the first segment operated by UA. So the agent had to call help desk to sort out. While they were able to check bags all the way through, they were able to only give a boarding pass for the first segment and I have to get the 2nd boarding pass at MUC.

you got a bad agent. Segment out of order is pretty simple to solve ... ouch ... outsourced? Go to the FCL at MUC (if C --> F) or else the SEN lounge (might need to convince the dragon guarding the door ;) ) at H21 with your reservation details ... they should be able to print your BP.

wanderingshi Jan 11, 2023 6:44 pm

Hi all! New here and looking to upgrade either an SFO-MUC/SFO-FRA segment in May.

A question: How does one check the chances of an upgrade on LH? With UA metal flights, one can use expert mode and check load.

Also, would "Economy (Q) (most restrictive)" qualify for the upgrade?

Thanks!

Lux Flyer Jan 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingshi (Post 34916229)
Hi all! New here and looking to upgrade either an SFO-MUC/SFO-FRA segment in May.

A question: How does one check the chances of an upgrade on LH? With UA metal flights, one can use expert mode and check load.

Also, would "Economy (Q) (most restrictive)" qualify for the upgrade?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html

"Q" appears to be an eligible booking code for PlusPoints on LH. No good way to verify loads/clearance chances. There is some reports that "I" inventory does play some role, but the exact criteria LH uses to release upgrades with UA-supported instruments is unclear. The PlusPoints will be deducted from time of request until the flight takes place.

wanderingshi Jan 11, 2023 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 34916452)
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html

"Q" appears to be an eligible booking code for PlusPoints on LH. No good way to verify loads/clearance chances. There is some reports that "I" inventory does play some role, but the exact criteria LH uses to release upgrades with UA-supported instruments is unclear. The PlusPoints will be deducted from time of request until the flight takes place.

Thanks! Does I inventory = award inventory?

Also, what have people's odds looked like lately? Seems like a lot more success stories than not.

cfischer Jan 11, 2023 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingshi (Post 34916461)
Thanks! Does I inventory = award inventory?

Also, what have people's odds looked like lately? Seems like a lot more success stories than not.

LH >> UA. Will depend on 'when in May'.

wanderingshi Jan 11, 2023 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34916781)
LH >> UA. Will depend on 'when in May'.

I'm assuming earlier May is probably better?

dkc192 Jan 12, 2023 3:44 am

Early May is probably slightly better than late May, but day of week matters more than week of month, IMO. If you can fly midweek, your chances should be higher.

That said, I certainly wouldn't count on an ex-SFO upgrade coming through in the summer months. Nonstops from the west coast to Europe are very popular relative to the available supply of premium seats.

cfischer Jan 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingshi (Post 34916810)
I'm assuming earlier May is probably better?

mid week and staying away from any conferences ... LH clears even out of SFO, but it is not a guarantee of course

cfischer Jan 17, 2023 4:15 pm

Oh man, I got a lemon of an agent and supervisor this afternoon. Pretty standard. 016 ticket in D-class ... calling for flight number conversions.

1) After a long hold I was told: You need to go back to your TA to make this change
2) After another long hold I was told: We can only convert the outbound, but not the inbound (which was J9 --> P9 :rolleyes: )
3) I was then berated why I purchased a UA ticket when all the flights are on LH

Gave up ... will call again tomorrow and hope for better agents.
Has been a long time since I last had issues w/ this ... sigh

KCRYSTAL Jan 17, 2023 9:29 pm

You have been lucky. I had flight numbers changed 3 times in the last 2 months. The fastest change involved one, the lengthiest 6 HUCAs. Well, I used chat the last time, to document how poorly trained many reps are. In each case, the first response was "this cannot be done", by the agent, then after consultation with a supervisor. Once I found an agent who knew, it took a few minutes to make the change.

cfischer Jan 18, 2023 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL (Post 34934856)
You have been lucky. I had flight numbers changed 3 times in the last 2 months. The fastest change involved one, the lengthiest 6 HUCAs. Well, I used chat the last time, to document how poorly trained many reps are. In each case, the first response was "this cannot be done", by the agent, then after consultation with a supervisor. Once I found an agent who knew, it took a few minutes to make the change.

called again today. Change was made. Upgrade confirmed

sannmann Jan 19, 2023 8:30 am

Thinking of using PP to confirm an upgrade on an intra-Europe flight connecting from a United TATL flight. I know it’s a bad use of PP; however, they’re going to expire anyways.

Will I experience any issues checking in with United and checking my bag through? I’m mindful that folks have said that they’ve seen upgraded segments drop off of their itinerary on United.com.