Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 25, 19, 3:33 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw View Post
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.


Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Old May 31, 19, 6:15 pm
  #811  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,189
Originally Posted by GBadger View Post
So I just called LH about both segments (Y and J) still being in the record, and they assured me that this is all ok. I guess we'll see when I go to check in this evening!
calling LH is the correct thing to do. Whenever I had that happen it needed to be fixed eventually. Depending on whether you check-in with LH or UA can make a difference. Would be very surprising to see OLCI work; last time in MUC it took the FC check-in roughly 10 minutes and 2 phone calls to fix it.
cfischer is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 10:27 pm
  #812  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by ORD_UA1K View Post
Very frustrating. I have 18 unused GPUs and have been getting the 118 error for the last few weeks. Only real use of a GPU for me (besides giving away to friends+family) is Business->First on LH for a number of reasons. On FRA-LAX today and unable to request an upgrade. On MUC-SFO in 2 weeks, same issue. 1K desk and UA web support are useless in this regard.

First world problems, I know. But still...feels like withdrawal of a published benefit.
Absolutely!!!! useless! Seems GPUS are now worthless - runaround from UA IT support No Point in trying to keep 1K for me anymore you lost me UA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Used 50K MilesandMore Miles and upgrade to LH F confirmed instantly - mind you called the LX Senator line to apply it, cleared instantly, since it didnt work on that abomination called LH.COM even though it was offering miles, Paid upgrade, and Evoucher options, and didn't want to risk the USELESS LH Call Centre in Manila
And hopeless UA GPU LH/NH Upgrade page now says no upgrades possible because cabin upgraded
really useless UA GPUS No First to Australia - demise of UA Global First - As i've said before welcum to Continental Airlines from Jersey, United in name only! It's like schlepping, schlumming und schwitzing thru EWR with the Jersey acrylic nail girls when you were used to UA PS Transcon to/from JFK T7 Now 2 useless GPUs and 4 RPUs which i know won't clear on a mileage run daytrip EWR-LAX-SFO-LAX-EWR from Manhattan I swapped to AA Transcon F JFK-LAX/SFO vv a couple of years ago and didn't look back JFK, Flagship First Dining Room and a reasonable Flagship First Lounge after dining in the Flagship First dining room! Nothing better than pumkin seed hummus entree followed by pork chop lo-kasher pomegranete chop with hummus and lots of champagne you wont finf this in a UA Polaris Lounge or a United Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And UA are still mourning their loss of slots at JFK - youv'e made your bed, now lie in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im an sick of the Continental Airlines FLY EWR propoganda all over Manhattan from wall Street to CPS to CPW to UWS

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 19 at 9:44 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
cbourl is online now  
Old May 31, 19, 11:52 pm
  #813  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 6,152
Originally Posted by cbourl View Post
Absolutely!!!! useless! Seems GPUS are now worthless - runaround from UA IT support No Point in trying to keep 1K for me anymore you lost me UA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Used 50K MilesandMore Miles and upgrade to LH F confirmed instantly - mind you called the LX Senator line to apply it, cleared instantly, since it didnt work on that abomination called LH.COM even though it was offering miles, Paid upgrade, and Evoucher options, and didn't want to risk the USELESS LH Call Centre in Manila
And hopeless UA GPU LH/NH Upgrade page now says no upgrades possible because cabin upgraded
really useless UA GPUS No First to Australia - demise of UA Global First - As i've said before welcum to Continental Airlines from Jersey, United in name only! It's like schlepping, schlumming und schwitzing thru EWR with the Jersey acrylic nail girls when you were used to UA PS Transcon to/from JFK T7 Now 2 useless GPUs and 4 RPUs which i know won't clear on a mileage run daytrip EWR-LAX-SFO-LAX-EWR from Manhattan I swapped to AA Transcon F JFK-LAX/SFO vv a couple of years ago and didn't look back JFK, Flagship First Dining Room and a reasonable Flagship First Lounge after dining in the Flagship First dining room! Nothing better than pumkin seed hummus entree followed by pork chop lo-kasher pomegranete chop with hummus and lots of champagne you wont finf this in a UA Polaris Lounge or a United Club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And UA are still mourning their loss of slots at JFK - youv'e made your bed, now lie in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im an sick of the Continental Airlines FLY EWR propoganda all over Manhattan from wall Street to CPS to CPW to UWS
whoa. that was a lot of emotion in that post. i guess i’ve been lucky with my GPUs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 19 at 9:45 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Pseudo Nim is offline  
Old Jun 1, 19, 1:42 am
  #814  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Posts: 964
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post

whoa. that was a lot of emotion in that post. i guess i’ve been lucky with my GPUs.
I used to be -LH Upgrades to F confirmed within 24 hours after waitlisting/applying GPU for the past 10 years With this current farce on behalf of Continental Airlines and repeated rubbish info given calling 1K line/UA IT web Support multiple times the past few weeks and no action by CO to rectify the problem many of us are experiencing, its time for bye byes
cbourl is online now  
Old Jun 1, 19, 2:34 am
  #815  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Posts: 964
And how is UA/CO IT ? Just got an email saying my GPU for FRA-JFK to upgrade to F has cleared, and even a certificate number!!!! 2 hours ago applied 50K Miles+More points for the upgrade - wow I'm just dumbfounded! An an email from Miles and More what gives??????

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 1, 19 at 9:46 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
cbourl is online now  
Old Jun 2, 19, 11:15 am
  #816  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Posts: 7,049
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
calling LH is the correct thing to do. Whenever I had that happen it needed to be fixed eventually. Depending on whether you check-in with LH or UA can make a difference. Would be very surprising to see OLCI work; last time in MUC it took the FC check-in roughly 10 minutes and 2 phone calls to fix it.
You more or less nailed it. Tried to check in online (with UA, since they operate my first segment), but got a message that I can’t check in for flights operated by other carriers. Called the 1K line. Fantastic agent put me on hold for about five minutes and then said “you should have boarding passes in your inbox”. Sure enough, BPs showed both in email and in the app. Not sure whether she called LH for me or whether they were able to work it out on their end. All in all, a lot of work, but the flight was great.

Return flight is already confirmed in UA Polaris.
GBadger is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:16 am
  #817  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
Posts: 217
Clearing WL on day of flight

I have been waitlisted for 2+ months for an upgrade to F on LH 441, IAH-FRA. I am booked on a D fare, connecting onward to BLR.

The flight is today, 6/3. Availability is F6A0 J9C9D9. Until two days ago, it was F7A7 for months.

With about 9 hours to go til the flight, the upgrade still hasn’t cleared. LH call center confirmed that my waitlist is correctly showing. What’s going on?

Would Lufthansa let F go out with empty seats and not clear upgrades off the Waitlist?

berkeleyguy3 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:13 am
  #818  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,189
Originally Posted by berkeleyguy3 View Post
I have been waitlisted for 2+ months for an upgrade to F on LH 441, IAH-FRA. I am booked on a D fare, connecting onward to BLR.

The flight is today, 6/3. Availability is F6A0 J9C9D9. Until two days ago, it was F7A7 for months.

With about 9 hours to go til the flight, the upgrade still hasn’t cleared. LH call center confirmed that my waitlist is correctly showing. What’s going on?

Would Lufthansa let F go out with empty seats and not clear upgrades off the Waitlist?
That is perfectly normal for IAH-FRA! Only once have I cleared prior to the gate. They will clear all UG requests before boarding starts. With F6 and on a Monday I'd say this is a near certain upgrade, enjoy!
cfischer is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 3:25 pm
  #819  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
That is perfectly normal for IAH-FRA! Only once have I cleared prior to the gate. They will clear all UG requests before boarding starts. With F6 and on a Monday I'd say this is a near certain upgrade, enjoy!
Update: cleared at the gate 5 minutes before boarding. I was the only one on the list, and the plane went out with 5 empty seats in F. Nice!
Kacee likes this.
berkeleyguy3 is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 5:45 pm
  #820  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,189
Originally Posted by berkeleyguy3 View Post

Update: cleared at the gate 5 minutes before boarding. I was the only one on the list, and the plane went out with 5 empty seats in F. Nice!
yeah, they don't like to clear IAH-FRA-IAH prior to the gate ... I guess a lot of last minute oil business. That being said, I have had good luck on that route; 3/4 cleared last year and the last one didn't because there were some irops and they had rerouted pax in F that were supposed to be on the DEN flight.

maybe the blogs should start writing about LH and NH upgrades not working anymore. Given how fast United fixed the F award issue the other day ... it might be our best chance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 3, 19 at 8:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
cfischer is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 12:24 am
  #821  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,109
Any experiences in using a GPU to upgrade from LH Premium Economy to Business? I will be in an eligible fare (G).

The following Lufthansa fare classes are eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: B, C, D, E, G, H, J, M, Q, U and Y.
malgudi is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 1:09 am
  #822  
GeP
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Any experiences in using a GPU to upgrade from LH Premium Economy to Business? I will be in an eligible fare (G).
Very good chances. G is the highest far class in LH PE, so if there's an open seat in business, you'll have top priority (second to irrops, etc).
malgudi likes this.
GeP is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:09 am
  #823  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1k
Posts: 238
A few LH flights where I had applied GPUs now say I class on the 016 ticket. While I had seen that happen with 220 tickets before, in the past with my 016 the LH.com reservation would show I confirmed but the 016 ticket would continue with the original underlying fare class. Not sure if this is a change or just pure coincidence that I had it with a few separate flights (admittedly they are all 6 months out and recently had small schedule changes).
mrt88 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:22 am
  #824  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 36,917
The tickets are usually stickered with I, so this is perfectly OK. Its more likely that the UA website now displays the correct ticket...
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:24 am
  #825  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Unable to process GPU on United.com for Lufthansa

Cannot process a GPU on united.com for a lufthansa flight. Getting the following error message -
We have experienced a technical problem. If you have not received this message before, please try your request again. If you have received this error previously or are traveling on a codeshare flight with a United flight number, please call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere call your local Customer Contact Center. (Error code: 118)
this has been the case for apparently, 2 weeks! United agents say there is no workaround. Does anyone know any?
Jeremym9 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread