Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by marks88
Anyone know how to get refund of PlusPoints on itineraries after ticket changes? I waitlisted on a few different LH flights, after needing to change dates, and the PlusPoints haven’t refunded automatically yet. Now I’ve run out of PlusPoints pending refund - would like them back, so I can apply to new flights. I understand per thread above that they will automatically revert after the flight date for which I was waitlisted, but the new flight is around the same time and I would rather not wait.
+Ps are not refunding automatically in such cases right now, its a well-know problem and I encourage you to contact the DOT. UA knows about the problem, but they are unwilling to fix it. Call MP and tell them to process the refund; can be done via Email as well but will be slower.
SPN Lifer and marks88 like this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
What was the tiebreak used to determine who got upgraded?
No idea. I'd assume check-in time, but given who was traveling, I have a hard time believing the GS didn't check in first.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
What was the tiebreak used to determine who got upgraded?
There is none. Flown with a colleague ... I had a C-class ticket, booked earlier, applied +Ps earlier, SAG status. He had no status, D-class ticket (cleared day before travel and/or check-in). In the end it was inconsequential as I got the last seat while waiting in the FCT. But is was somewhat distressing ... and it remains completely unclear how LH prioritizes these types of UGs.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No idea. I'd assume check-in time, but given who was traveling, I have a hard time believing the GS didn't check in first.
GS does not matter on LH
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cfischer
... and it remains completely unclear how LH prioritizes these types of UGs.
LH uses the amadeus altea pcv logic. The *G status and price paid factor in it and the waiting list is processed accordingly by the system ahead of the flight. On the day of departure the same logic generates a 'grading list' for the flight manager to process when s/he starts her shift at the airport.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH uses the amadeus altea pcv logic. The *G status and price paid factor in it and the waiting list is processed accordingly by the system ahead of the flight. On the day of departure the same logic generates a 'grading list' for the flight manager to process when s/he starts her shift at the airport.
Apparently PLENTY of cases where that is just untrue. Understood that is how it is supposed to work. Somehow, for +Ps that does not appear to be the case.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by cfischer
+Ps are not refunding automatically in such cases right now, its a well-know problem and I encourage you to contact the DOT. UA knows about the problem, but they are unwilling to fix it. Call MP and tell them to process the refund; can be done via Email as well but will be slower.
Was able to get refund of marooned PlusPoints (for LH flights in future that I no longer was flying) with phone call, refund was instant.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
FYI, cleared MUC-BOM in ~9 days H to I (Y to J), on a $850 UA IAH-BOM oneway H fare. Was quite pleased to get the upgrade this far in advance, for the nice ex-PAL LH A359's with 1-2-1 seating.

Flight was J9 but I0. However, UA and others showed JFK-MUC-BOM in I, just not single flight (is this married segments?). Thought I would try my luck with PlusPoints and the upgrade cleared ~7 hours after waitlisting.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 7:13 pm
kig

Probability of an upgrade with PlusPoints on a Lufthansa plane?

Does anyone have experience with PlusPoints clearing on Lufthansa?

We are booking tickets to India, which has a connection in Frankfurt. The first leg is United, the second leg Lufthansa. United only allows certain fare classes to use plus points on Lufthansa, and in this case, the appropriate fare class will increase the roundtrip cost from $1,500 to $1,800.

Would it be fair to assume that the chance of clearing on Lufthansa is extremely low?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 2:58 am
GeP

Originally Posted by kig
Would it be fair to assume that the chance of clearing on Lufthansa is extremely low?
Clearing on Lufthansa is immensely more likely than clearing on United.

(In 15 years as 1K I never failed to clear on LH and had a deal of failed upgrades with UA, despite choosing flights very carefully.)

Among others Lufthansa is less aggressive selling upgrades and doing so overtly until the last minute.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeP
Clearing on Lufthansa is immensely more likely than clearing on United.
While I agree with that sentiment as a general rule, I'm not sure that I'd pay $300 extra on this route, at this time, to try to upgrade, unless LH is currently offering MileagePlus business class awards on that travel date. Due to airspace restrictions, there are many fewer long-haul seats to India within *A than there were prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
While I agree with that sentiment as a general rule, I'm not sure that I'd pay $300 extra on this route, at this time, to try to upgrade, unless LH is currently offering MileagePlus business class awards on that travel date. Due to airspace restrictions, there are many fewer long-haul seats to India within *A than there were prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
yet when you look just 1 post up ... you see success. Definitely possible. Perhaps not the easiest route, but I have upgraded to India before ... not the hardest route.

If $300 isn't a meaningful number to the OP ... I would most definitely get it and waitlist the UG
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: United Global Services
Any experiences upgrading to First?

I’m at T-36 hours with 2 F seats left for sale on a 748. Originally booked in D. I’m UA GS if that makes any difference here. Curious what you would peg my chances at 😊
Old Mar 2, 2023, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ei124
Any experiences upgrading to First?

I’m at T-36 hours with 2 F seats left for sale on a 748. Originally booked in D. I’m UA GS if that makes any difference here. Curious what you would peg my chances at 😊
GS doesn't matter to LH No harm in waitlisting it and seeing if you get it. T-36 and 2 seats is neither comforting nor hopeless. LH will clear these until the gate. Will depend on many things incl the route and whether there are already others on the WL; D is not exactly the highest fare class. If it was J then I'd give it a pretty high chance of clearing. In fact I had an F2 on a J ticket which cleared within hours of requesting it.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Hi hoping someone can help - I have UA ticket stock flights on LH (they converted the code share to LH flight numbers) and I successfully applied plus points to both ways and am waitlisted (Y to J upgrade). My issue is that I cannot select seats in Y (neither UA nor LH call centers can select seats). So basically if my upgrade doesn't clear, I will be in a middle seat - doesn't work for me. So I want to cancel the ticket (I am under 24 hours). Do you know how I cancel the upgrade request. My plus points show deducted and not requested (or whatever the waitlist language is on UA website). IF the UA call center just cancels the ticket, will I get my PP back seamlessly? Both upgrades have not cleared.

Thanks for your help in advance
Old Mar 2, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
IF the UA call center just cancels the ticket, will I get my PP back seamlessly? Both upgrades have not cleared.
You will get your points back -- but yu may need to call or email to ask for them to be returned if they are not automatically returned to you.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.