Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The seats are 'blocked' on the seat map for ASR because they are trying to keep the seat beside the SEN/HON empty. It has nothing to do with available inventory.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The seats are 'blocked' on the seat map for ASR because they are trying to keep the seat beside the SEN/HON empty. It has nothing to do with available inventory.
Seems to include UA*G for LH group airlines as well. All my upcoming flights show a blocked seat next to me and in reality, unless the flight is very full ... that tends to stick. Certainly very pleased that LH (and LX) do this . That said, can be annoying if Mrs. cfischer is on a separate PNR ...
Old May 2, 2023, 2:32 am
GeP

Originally Posted by cfischer
Seems to include UA*G for LH group airlines as well. All my upcoming flights show a blocked seat next to me and in reality, unless the flight is very full ... that tends to stick. Certainly very pleased that LH (and LX) do this .
There seem to be have recent changes to treat UA*G similar to LH SEN? For example on my last four flights with LH and OS within Europe I could choose exit row and the first rows of economy upon booking which definitely was not free the last years.
Old May 3, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
PlusPoint upgrades on LH tag flights. Can it be done?

I'm trying to use PP to upgrade a flight on LH. The ticket was issued by UA, has a LH flight number, and is in E class -- Premium Economy. I've tried several times to process this and each time I'm presented with a message that I've been added to the waitlist. But, no PP are ever deducted from my account and it seems from the reservation that the waitlist request wasn't processed. There are UA segments on this ticket as well, and a UA upgrade request for those segments is properly displayed.

We are ticketed on LH 568, FRA-SSG with a stop at LOS. After well over an hour trying various things with the 1K desk I was told that because the flight has a stop I can only upgrade as far as that stop. But of course the system won't let me try to upgraded FRA-LOS or LOS-SSG because I'm not ticketed to LOS. The UA agent told me they spoke with LH about this and that is the cause of the problem. Tag flights like this are not uncommon. Is that really the source of the problem? I'm sure someone has run into this situation before. Des anyone have an idea as to how to upgrade this?
Old May 3, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm trying to use PP to upgrade a flight on LH. The ticket was issued by UA, has a LH flight number, and is in E class -- Premium Economy. I've tried several times to process this and each time I'm presented with a message that I've been added to the waitlist. But, no PP are ever deducted from my account and it seems from the reservation that the waitlist request wasn't processed. There are UA segments on this ticket as well, and a UA upgrade request for those segments is properly displayed.

We are ticketed on LH 568, FRA-SSG with a stop at LOS. After well over an hour trying various things with the 1K desk I was told that because the flight has a stop I can only upgrade as far as that stop. But of course the system won't let me try to upgraded FRA-LOS or LOS-SSG because I'm not ticketed to LOS. The UA agent told me they spoke with LH about this and that is the cause of the problem. Tag flights like this are not uncommon. Is that really the source of the problem? I'm sure someone has run into this situation before. Des anyone have an idea as to how to upgrade this?
oliver2002 might know. Never tried to upgrade a through flight with a stop using UA +Ps. It sounds legitimate enough to probably hold some truth. Waiting for available I-space and then confirming the UG could be a way to go.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
Where does UA GS fit in upgrade priority on LH?

Hello,
I have placed myself on an upgrade waitlist using plus points for a LH flight. Will all Miles and More statuses supersede a UA Global Services passenger who uses plus points to support their upgrade?
thanks
Old May 7, 2023, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by koppelman
.... I have placed myself on an upgrade waitlist using plus points for a LH flight. Will all Miles and More statuses supersede a UA Global Services passenger who uses plus points to support their upgrade? ....
You are *G, LH does not recognize UA GS.
*G includes UA Gold, Plat, 1K & GS
Old May 7, 2023, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have an example upthread where a no-status cleared while a GS did not, both using PlusPoints.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 9, 2023, 12:17 pm

Finally got both of my segments converted to LH flight numbers and applied PP but I did it at separate times(few weeks apart). Agent suggested that applying PP today on my outbound segment might mess up the return segment waitlist and I should call Lufthansa to make sure everything is still good.

Checked my reservation on LH and it looks fine on their end. Worth calling in our as long as both show waitlisted on the LH site no need to worry?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CaptJOB
Finally got both of my segments converted to LH flight numbers and applied PP but I did it at separate times(few weeks apart). Agent suggested that applying PP today on my outbound segment might mess up the return segment waitlist and I should call Lufthansa to make sure everything is still good.

Checked my reservation on LH and it looks fine on their end. Worth calling in our as long as both show waitlisted on the LH site no need to worry?

Thanks!
The agent told you nonsense. Why did you talk to an agent in the first place? You will have to apply PPs yourself online. Whether an out/in-bound is on the WL or cleared as zero impact on your ability to waitlist or confirm additional flights.
Old May 9, 2023, 4:48 pm

The agent told you nonsense. Why did you talk to an agent in the first place? You will have to apply PPs yourself online. Whether an out/in-bound is on the WL or cleared as zero impact on your ability to waitlist or confirm additional flights.
I had to call to convert my LAX-FRA A fare to E on LH. I had already converted O->G and applied PP to the return MUC-LAX a few weeks ago. Anyhow after she had a lead do the conversion today she gave me that advice. She didn't seem super experienced (I had to explain that E on LH was in fact PE)so I figured better to ask here than wait on the phone with LH.
Old May 9, 2023, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to call to convert my LAX-FRA A fare to E on LH. I had already converted O->G and applied PP to the return MUC-LAX a few weeks ago. Anyhow after she had a lead do the conversion today she gave me that advice. She didn't seem super experienced (I had to explain that E on LH was in fact PE)so I figured better to ask here than wait on the phone with LH.
o.k., so to be clear: once you make a flight number conversion the ticket needs to be re-issued. That causes issues with WL or confirmed UGs. Your post asked whether WLing a new UG will cause an issue with an existing request (it does not). If you had your ticket re-issued (whether you apply an UG or not) you have to worry about confirmed or WLed upgrades. Best is to remove them and re-apply them.
I have seen it work just fine ... ticket was changed and the WL still cleared etc. ... but I have seen it go sideways as well.
Old May 9, 2023, 5:28 pm

o.k., so to be clear: once you make a flight number conversion the ticket needs to be re-issued. That causes issues with WL or confirmed UGs. Your post asked whether WLing a new UG will cause an issue with an existing request (it does not). If you had your ticket re-issued (whether you apply an UG or not) you have to worry about confirmed or WLed upgrades. Best is to remove them and re-apply them.
I have seen it work just fine ... ticket was changed and the WL still cleared etc. ... but I have seen it go sideways as well.
Best way to remove them and reapply? Appreciate the help here.
Old May 9, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best way to remove them and reapply? Appreciate the help here.
it is the safest thing to do, if UA has re-issued the ticket (which is to be avoided at all cost, but it has already happened). Now, the worse problem occurs when UGs have cleared (they then go m.i.a.) and for WLed UGs it 'can' work just fine, but I am aware of issues as well. There is little harm removing the UG request and re-applying it (a bit tedious; LH might have to nix it). It really depends on how much risk you want to carry.
Old May 11, 2023, 4:51 pm

it is the safest thing to do, if UA has re-issued the ticket (which is to be avoided at all cost, but it has already happened). Now, the worse problem occurs when UGs have cleared (they then go m.i.a.) and for WLed UGs it 'can' work just fine, but I am aware of issues as well. There is little harm removing the UG request and re-applying it (a bit tedious; LH might have to nix it). It really depends on how much risk you want to carry.
Okay so I called LH and the agent did not seem to be able to help. Before I called them back I called UA and they managed to redeposit the PP but I see I'm still showing up on the waitlist on the LH reservation. Do I need to wait for that to fall off before I reapply PP to the reservation or will I have to suck it up and call LH back first and HUCA until someone removes that waitlist?

Sorry for all the questions here. Wish this was easier to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.