Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
The LH/NH/CM upgrade page appears to have changed. And also the link is erroring out after login?

Lufthansa, ANA or Copa Upgrades | United Airlines
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ty97
The LH/NH/CM upgrade page appears to have changed. And also the link is erroring out after login?

Lufthansa, ANA or Copa Upgrades | United Airlines
Ooh. Looks like a pricing change -- "the number of points you need depends..."
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:29 pm

Something tells my main reason for remaining 1K is about to go away (LH F upgrades)…
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA1K
why is this page now riddled with typos? c'mon united, surely you can do better than that
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
why is this page now riddled with typos? c'mon united, surely you can do better than that
Typos, at least one eligible fare code missing from the list, and the links to request upgrades are broken. Total mess.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Flying LX on a 016 ticket (posted here even though it's not LH as I don't think this simple question is worth a new thread), and confirmed an upgrade using a Miles&More voucher (their equivalent of Plus Points). The reservation looks fine on LX's end, but on UA's end the segments are out of order and there's a red banner saying that the ticket needs to be reissued, which is nothing unusual for LH/NH Plus Points or *A mileage upgrades.

Question is: given the different upgrade currency, does the usual advice to not touch anything and not ask UA to reissue the ticket still apply?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
Question is: given the different upgrade currency, does the usual advice to not touch anything and not ask UA to reissue the ticket still apply?
The don't touch still applies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 1:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond UA 1K
Is +P upgrade on LH eligible only for TATL flights?

Newbie question!
Booked a FRA-DEL-FRA itinerary in E class. How do I go about applying PlusPoints for upgrade to Biz class? I tried to use the form mentioned in the Wiki but when I select LH, put the flight number (760 or 761), select Current cabin as Economy, nothing appears in the selection boxes From/To. Hence can't submit the forms to check upgrade availability with no data in these two fields.
Is this an LH itinerary not supported for +P upgrades? If not, how do I go about it?

TIA.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
The don't touch still applies.
Well, UA reissued my ticket without me prompting or touching. Still looks fine on LX’s end. /shrug/
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave_US
Newbie question!
Booked a FRA-DEL-FRA itinerary in E class. How do I go about applying PlusPoints for upgrade to Biz class? I tried to use the form mentioned in the Wiki but when I select LH, put the flight number (760 or 761), select Current cabin as Economy, nothing appears in the selection boxes From/To. Hence can't submit the forms to check upgrade availability with no data in these two fields.
Is this an LH itinerary not supported for +P upgrades? If not, how do I go about it?

TIA.
you can upgrade any flight, even FRA-MUC if you so desire. Must be an issue with the form then. So you can’t enter anything in the to/from boxes? It usually completes the city names once you start typing.

Well, UA reissued my ticket without me prompting or touching. Still looks fine on LX’s end. /shrug/
so you have new ticket numbers now? That unusual for UA to do this w/o prompting.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond UA 1K
you can upgrade any flight, even FRA-MUC if you so desire. Must be an issue with the form then.
Thanks cfischer . Was able to do it today and got added to Waitlist. The form probably was not working yesterday.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 2:21 pm

so you have new ticket numbers now? That unusual for UA to do this w/o prompting.
Yeah I do, and I agree it’s unusual. Maybe because the upgraded segment had a flag of “this segment is not confirmed” it auto-prompted the computer or a human to do something about it? I don’t recall seeing that flag on previous LH/NH/LX segments I’ve upgraded using +Ps or UA miles.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I do, and I agree it’s unusual. Maybe because the upgraded segment had a flag of “this segment is not confirmed” it auto-prompted the computer or a human to do something about it? I don’t recall seeing that flag on previous LH/NH/LX segments I’ve upgraded using +Ps or UA miles.
strange. Well, if the Lh site shows the new ticket number you are all set indeed
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 1:04 pm

Waitlist v award space

Hi - me again. Seeing I’m still waitlisted for a first class PlusPoints upgrade on an LH flight on Thu, however United shows I could book 3 (!) first award seats on the flight. M&M service seemed a bit incompetent but wondering - is it normal for my upgrade to be waitlisted even with bookable partner award space available?

edit: the upgrade cleared about an hour later. Success!
marks88 likes this.

Last edited by NYC MP 2017; Apr 14, 2024 at 2:59 pm
Old Yesterday, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC MP 2017
Hi - me again. Seeing I’m still waitlisted for a first class PlusPoints upgrade on an LH flight on Thu, however United shows I could book 3 (!) first award seats on the flight. M&M service seemed a bit incompetent but wondering - is it normal for my upgrade to be waitlisted even with bookable partner award space available?

edit: the upgrade cleared about an hour later. Success!
as you already found out, LH also does batch processing Annoying (because someone could snatch the O space), but it usually works out. Enjoy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.