Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I had applied PP to a DEL - MUC - EWR reservation made on UA.com. MUC - EWR was operated by UA, and DEL - MUC on LH, with an LH flight number. The LH segment cleared while the UA segment is waitlisted. When the LH segment cleared, my reservation on UA.com said "a modification has been made to your itinerary. Please call United reservations to have your ticket re-ticketed". However when I called United (twice), they said not to worry about it and it will get corrected at check-in. Am a bit worried about this since the first segment is with LH. Did anyone else ever see this message when the LH segment cleared? Is it normal to leave as is?
Luckily you got a good UA agent who knew what NOT to do. DO NOT TOUCH THE TICKET! Please read here (and other threads) what happens when you attempt to do that; hint: nothing good.
SPN Lifer and PrivatePilot like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 4:33 pm

Hi All,

New to using Plus Points in a valuable way.

Looking at booking a revenue ticket operated by LH through UA.com. Is a "Z" class business fare. Is that NOT eligible for Plus Point upgrade? If not, what would I have to book to guarantee a lay flight but still be eligible for Plus Point upgrade to LH F?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Hi All,

New to using Plus Points in a valuable way.

Looking at booking a revenue ticket operated by LH through UA.com. Is a "Z" class business fare. Is that NOT eligible for Plus Point upgrade? If not, what would I have to book to guarantee a lay flight but still be eligible for Plus Point upgrade to LH F?

Thanks!
D, C, J are eligible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
D, C, J are eligible.
Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some horrible luck w/ UA agents on this one. Booked last minute J2C2D2 left ... I book (in C) and it goes to J1C1D1. Call for a flight number conversion ...

Agent #1: We don't do this and you booked through a TA ... call them ... we don't ever do things like that ... "i hung up immideately'
Agent #2: Let me put you on hold (o.k. that sounds normal) ... so after 20 minutes on hold I get a 'hello this is Lufthansa' ... OMG ... I apologized on behalf of UA and hang up
then I am tied up in a meeting an J1 goes to J0 = no more flight # convos!!! Luckily I have an EF subscription and 30 hours later I get an alert for J1C1D1
Agent #3: I will get this worked out with my supervisor ... 5 minutes later the ticket is re-issued and I can put in for +Ps ... which clear immediately

Shouldn't be that complicated and I got lucky in the end ... UA really needs to fix the level of knowledge for (some of) their front line 1K agents ....
cricketer and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Some horrible luck w/ UA agents on this one. Booked last minute J2C2D2 left ... I book (in C) and it goes to J1C1D1. Call for a flight number conversion ...

Agent #1: We don't do this and you booked through a TA ... call them ... we don't ever do things like that ... "i hung up immideately'
Agent #2: Let me put you on hold (o.k. that sounds normal) ... so after 20 minutes on hold I get a 'hello this is Lufthansa' ... OMG ... I apologized on behalf of UA and hang up
then I am tied up in a meeting an J1 goes to J0 = no more flight # convos!!! Luckily I have an EF subscription and 30 hours later I get an alert for J1C1D1
Agent #3: I will get this worked out with my supervisor ... 5 minutes later the ticket is re-issued and I can put in for +Ps ... which clear immediately

Shouldn't be that complicated and I got lucky in the end ... UA really needs to fix the level of knowledge for (some of) their front line 1K agents ....
Similar recent experience.

First agent: "We're not allowed to do that because we have to sell you United flights as much as possible." After an explanation, "Oh, now I understand. Let me get my boss to help me with it." And then after half an hour of waiting, "Sir, all these flights are already Lufthansa flights so why do you want different ones?"
Second agent: "Oh, please call Lufthansa for that. If it doesn't work, you can try and call us again"
Third agent: "Oh of course, let me get a supervisor and we'll take care of that." 5 minutes later, all done.

Honestly rarely if ever had a problem with this in the past (someone else can search my old posts and validate or repudiate...).
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Changing flights after requesting an upgrade

Looking for advice from the pros here. I have an upcoming trip to Germany. United ticket, ORD - FRA on UA, return FRA-ORD is LH flight nbr, LH operated. Both segments in business. Currently waitlisted for upgrade using plus points, to First on the FRA-ORD segment.
I need to change the travel dates.
1. looking at changing the date for ORD-FRA segment only: this will result in reticketing, so what caution do I need to take to keep the upgrade request intact for the return segment?

2. Potentially changing both inbound and outbound travel dates: what cautions do I need to take? For e
g., do I cancel the upgrade request first ( not sure if it is even possible) before triggering the change.

Just wanted to have clarity before contacting global services to make changes. Appreciate any help this forum can provide.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You need to cancel the waitlist on the LH flight, change the booking to what you want, wait for the tickets to be reissued and then request the upgrade again.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:13 am

I have a D class ticket on a LH flight but with a UA flight number. EF shows D class space on the LH coded flight but UA Premier desk says they don't see any D space on the LH coded flight? Does UA see different space or is this a case of HUACA?
Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
I have a D class ticket on a LH flight but with a UA flight number. EF shows D class space on the LH coded flight but UA Premier desk says they don't see any D space on the LH coded flight? Does UA see different space or is this a case of HUACA?
married segment? You can't look for only the segment you want to upgrade, you have to check the entire in/out-bound. If it is a single segment then yes, they should be able to do it. I have had an issue once (but only once ... and I do many of these a year) where the fare construction apparently was so convoluted and the itinerary was pieced together with 016 and 220 tickets ... the UA system simply wouldn't show any availability on the LH code - went to web support and they saw it was C9 down to P9 when looked at in isolation, but couldn't sell it in the context of this ticket. Again, very very rare.
So either a rooky agent or a married segment would be my guess
Old Jun 17, 2023, 9:49 am

married segment? You can't look for only the segment you want to upgrade, you have to check the entire in/out-bound. If it is a single segment then yes, they should be able to do it. I have had an issue once (but only once ... and I do many of these a year) where the fare construction apparently was so convoluted and the itinerary was pieced together with 016 and 220 tickets ... the UA system simply wouldn't show any availability on the LH code - went to web support and they saw it was C9 down to P9 when looked at in isolation, but couldn't sell it in the context of this ticket. Again, very very rare.
So either a rooky agent or a married segment would be my guess
Yes, married. And no availability on the married segment but there is standalone on the segment I want to upgrade. UGH. So annoying. Should have tried earlier when I booked it. Didn't think then.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, married. And no availability on the married segment but there is standalone on the segment I want to upgrade. UGH. So annoying. Should have tried earlier when I booked it. Didn't think then.
the problem is e.g. when you have BOS-MUC-LHR (which I am flying next week). UA-UA can only change to LH-LH because LH-UA is not an allowed option (where the intra-EU segment is UA-coded but the TATL is LH). These can become available, especially with LH and intra-EU where the curtain is flexible. I'd keep checking for the married segment availability; once available it should be no problem to convert.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 3:43 pm

the problem is e.g. when you have BOS-MUC-LHR (which I am flying next week). UA-UA can only change to LH-LH because LH-UA is not an allowed option (where the intra-EU segment is UA-coded but the TATL is LH). These can become available, especially with LH and intra-EU where the curtain is flexible. I'd keep checking for the married segment availability; once available it should be no problem to convert.
Yeah, unfortunately the married segment is DXB-FRA and this is what availability on that looks like per EF: J4 C0 D0 Z0 P0 G7 E0 N0 Y9 B1 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0

So I doubt it will open up.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, unfortunately the married segment is DXB-FRA and this is what availability on that looks like per EF: J4 C0 D0 Z0 P0 G7 E0 N0 Y9 B1 M0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0

So I doubt it will open up.
DXB is hard, they are blocking a lot of cheaper classes via married segments. Now, DXB AFAIK you can do UAUA, LHUA or LHLH. If EF shows availability for LHUA then UA should be able to do that.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:43 am

Hi - I am currently WL'd on LH 435 on 19th July from D to F. Anyone able to check chances of it clearing? If low, I'd prefer to switch back to UA metal as I find the UA J seats much better than LH J seats. thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.