Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
And there are web sites that will still do this for you, even though EF won't any more.
What are the websites that do this? A quick Google search didn't reveal anything. I created a M&M account to search directly on the LH side, but I'm blocked from searching until I have like 7k miles in my account over there...
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by NYC MP 2017
What are the websites that do this? A quick Google search didn't reveal anything. I created a M&M account to search directly on the LH side, but I'm blocked from searching until I have like 7k miles in my account over there...
seats.aero has an LH First search tool. It is just for partner availability, so it may not directly fit what you need.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:37 am

Did a search within thread so hopefully this is not duplicative, but...right at T-30 days, I started seeing this at the top of my reservation on LH. Was not there prior.

For context this is a 016 ticket, upgrading LH454 from D class, waitlisted for O via UA PlusPoints - currently EF showing F7A6. When I look at the "Extra services" part of my reservation it just says FRA>SFO 1x Mileage upgrade.
Given all of the comments upthread, I suspect I should just ignore this message and let the waitlist do its thing...since calling LH seems to just inevitably mess things up. Just sanity checking though.

Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:34 pm

So I did this for two of us DEN-DEL. We were waitlisted (which I thought was BS?). We cleared three out of four flights. I actually only had enough +P to clear three legs. I have 50 left which is a win for me. I usually lose 200+ points a year.

Pleasantly surprised....... if this works.

EDIT: I went to check in. Only two of the three flights showed business. And I cannot select a seat nor can I check in. I put the probability of this being a dumpster fire at 30%.

Last edited by FlyingBeanCounter; Mar 21, 2024 at 3:53 pm
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
So I did this for two of us DEN-DEL. We were waitlisted (which I thought was BS?). We cleared three out of four flights. I actually only had enough +P to clear three legs. I have 50 left which is a win for me. I usually lose 200+ points a year.

Pleasantly surprised....... if this works.
By did this did you mean, saw a similar message and called LH support, who then cleared your upgrade?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 6:23 pm

By did this did you mean, saw a similar message and called LH support, who then cleared your upgrade?

No. I just waited. I do show Plus Points deducted from my account (I assume that wouldn't happen unless I clear?). I also show the outbound as Business on LH website. But I cannot check in or select seats. I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Given all of the comments upthread, I suspect I should just ignore this message and let the waitlist do its thing...since calling LH seems to just inevitably mess things up. Just sanity checking though.
Ignore the messages, but feel free to call LH as well. Calling LH does NOT mess up anything ... don't call UA!

EDIT: I went to check in. Only two of the three flights showed business. And I cannot select a seat nor can I check in. I put the probability of this being a dumpster fire at 30%.
No. I just waited. I do show Plus Points deducted from my account (I assume that wouldn't happen unless I clear?). I also show the outbound as Business on LH website. But I cannot check in or select seats. I guess I will find out tomorrow.
No no no. Of course you waitlist on LH, that is normal. You can only waitlist when you have enough +Ps, there is no such thing as WLing more +Ps than you have. You can do that with UA but NOT with LH. Also, +P get deducted when you WL an upgrade. Your assumption that +Ps get deducted when an UG clears is false, you pay when you WL and you get a refund if it does not clear.

Having multiple segments with +Ps, some cleared and some WL will be mess ... don't expect OLCI to work. It should all work out, however.
SPN Lifer and NYC MP 2017 like this.

Last edited by cfischer; Mar 22, 2024 at 5:32 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Any luck requesting a conversion from UA codeshare to LH native flight numbers when the desired/similar fare class on the LH native flight number isn't available?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
Any luck requesting a conversion from UA codeshare to LH native flight numbers when the desired/similar fare class on the LH native flight number isn't available?
Sure if you are willing to pay the fare difference. If not, an agent can not do that and outside of irrops, neither will a supervisor.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
there are limited reports. If UA works with LH directly then this can work, but it is very tricky. Always important to immediately make the flight number conversion to avoid such situations.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
File that as a good lesson learned. Anyways, I was/am trying for a J-F upgrade, so while the loss of a shot at F might sting, I've flown it a few times before and J is not the end of the world.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by cfischer
Good luck, but you did many things that one should absolutely never ever do on upgraded LH reservations. Do not call. Never ever get the ticket re-issued. Completely ignore all warning on united.com that such is necessary.
I hope all is o.k. ultimately, but DO NOT call to get the ticket re-issued. This is not only completely unnecessary (see this thread), it greatly messes up things on the LH end.
Everything worked out fine in the end, in spite of my attempts to mess it up by calling UA. I never called LH, LH mobile and web stopped showing the Dupe flights shortly after. OLCI worked fine, I was able to assign and change seats, all upgrades stayed in place, seats never involuntarily changed.

Side note: As I checked my luggage they said "We are sorry to tell you that we had to move you to 7A from your original seat, 5C for operational reasons." I said that was fine because I was the one who moved myself from 5C to 7A for the bulkhead. They didn't believe me but we all left happy.
SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.
Old Yesterday, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Is there any way to see J->F upgrades on LH using PlusPoints?
Old Yesterday, 3:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Is there any way to see J->F upgrades on LH using PlusPoints?
The standard suggestions are
- look for F award space via UA's award search
- Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]
- For close to flight time, look at F inventory
Old Yesterday, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The standard suggestions are
- look for F award space via UA's award search
- Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]
- For close to flight time, look at F inventory
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.