Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

United Airlines | MileagePlus

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

LH Electronic PlusPts Upgrades -How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,..

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 12, 22, 2:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: canadiancow
Wiki Link
Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA

Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with PlusPoints (note to use miles is a separate process) see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA , Lufthansa or COPA You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Partner PlusPoints Upgrade Awards

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply PlusPounts

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not

Originally Posted by andywaw View Post
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P,Z-class LH flights with a PlusPoints. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the R, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist. The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS (amadeus altea) rejected online and agent checkin. The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate set of PlusPoints
A single set of PlusPoints can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that PlusPoints cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH upgrades to reflect this change.

Premium Eco To Biz Upgrade

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Codeshare with UA fare classes are not eligible for upgrades on LH.

LH requires 40 PlusPloints for G fares
Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 14, 22, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Can PlusPoints be used n LH segments ticketed in an appropriate fare class but operated by EW (Eurowings)?
Old Aug 14, 22, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Can PlusPoints be used n LH segments ticketed in an appropriate fare class but operated by EW (Eurowings)?
No they cannot.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 15, 22, 1:03 pm

Split reservations after applying PlusPoints

Has anyone had their reservation split into two on the outbound because of upgrade on UA metal while the inbound is on LH already "waitlisted" for upgrade prior to United splitting the outbound?

Case: Two passengers ticketed on same reservation code with UA SFO-FRA and LH FRA-SFO. Both requested PP upgrades. UA SFO-FRA only had one seat so the reservation was split off and became two records locators (one original locator, one new locator). This also created a new locator on the Lufthansa side. Both appears to still be "waitlisted" per Lufthansa site.

Should I redo the upgrade on LH or does it appear to be okay since the upgrade certificate should be tied individually?
Old Aug 18, 22, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
So I was able to get our UA D class rebooked into LH D class.

I split our 3 pax PNR into a 2 pax and a 1 pax, and applied PlusPoints to both. The LH flight is currently F7. Both PNRs show waitlisted for O class on LH's site.

However, there's absolutely no indication on the UA side that anything is happening. The booking just shows confirmed in D.

Is this how it normally works?

Last edited by canadiancow; Aug 18, 22 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 18, 22, 1:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Platinum, Honors Gold
For all of my current reservations (LH and NH) the PlusPoints were withdrawn from my account immediately upon being put on the O waitlist. So far none of the upgrades have cleared so I would say it's atypical to not see the PP being withdrawn.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zzzliner View Post
For all of my current reservations (LH and NH) the PlusPoints were withdrawn from my account immediately upon being put on the O waitlist. So far none of the upgrades have cleared so I would say it's atypical to not see the PP being withdrawn.
The withdrawal shows up. I had edited my post to remove that piece. I'm the only traveler without my own PP, so I wasn't aware of that.

But I've set various alerts and I'll monitor and wait. Hopefully a Wednesday flight works out for us.
Old Aug 18, 22, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
So I was able to get our UA D class rebooked into LH D class.

I split our 3 pax PNR into a 2 pax and a 1 pax, and applied PlusPoints to both. The LH flight is currently F7. Both PNRs show waitlisted for O class on LH's site.

However, there's absolutely no indication on the UA side that anything is happening. The booking just shows confirmed in D.

Is this how it normally works?
Correct. This is normal. Might stay D, segment might go away, segment might look weird, segment might show as 'O' either waitlisted or then confirmed. None of that matters. The only thing that matters is what the LH site is showing
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Note that if and when it clears, it's crucial to make sure that the segment in D gets removed (can check your seat assignment is released). I have had issues where UA sees both segments confirmed and cancels the higher cabin one.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
Note that if and when it clears, it's crucial to make sure that the segment in D gets removed (can check your seat assignment is released). I have had issues where UA sees both segments confirmed and cancels the higher cabin one.
On the Amadeus side, I definitely see HK in D and HL in O, so I'll monitor for any changes. Thanks.

Is there any notification when it clears, or do I need to keep checking?
Old Aug 18, 22, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
On the Amadeus side, I definitely see HK in D and HL in O, so I'll monitor for any changes. Thanks.

Is there any notification when it clears, or do I need to keep checking?
You will get a notification - that's never failed for me. I still check obsessively anyway

As others have pointed out, all sorts of weird things will happen on the United site - just use the LH site for peace of mind. My upcoming trip is missing one leg (which is confirmed in F) and showing only one of the two waitlists, and it's all out of sequence, but everything's fine on LH, and I've now become used to this.
SPN Lifer and canadiancow like this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
IIRC, a human at UA needs to revalidate the UA ticket when the upgrade clears, but this normally happens without issue. I just have this jarring memory of calling UA in a panic because my upgraded segment got canceled (thankfully there was still space so they were able to restore).

ed. yeah here's the story (a PE -> J upgrade, D fares too rich for my blood ): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30016817-post252.html
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark View Post
IIRC, a human at UA needs to revalidate the UA ticket when the upgrade clears
nope. These are best left alone. Human interaction with a cleared upgrade needs to be avoided as much as possible.
cricketer and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 19, 22, 3:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
What happens if upgrade was confirmed for a segment (LH ICN-FRA), but the recent schedule change makes my connection too short? Now my connection time at ICN BR KHH-ICN is only 20 minutes.
If LH moves me to the later flight, ICN-MUC-MAD, will they move me to I class on the new flight or will they move me to my original booked class and I request the upgrade again?

Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 22, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinglan View Post
What happens if upgrade was confirmed for a segment (LH ICN-FRA), but the recent schedule change makes my connection too short? Now my connection time at ICN BR KHH-ICN is only 20 minutes.
If LH moves me to the later flight, ICN-MUC-MAD, will they move me to I class on the new flight or will they move me to my original booked class and I request the upgrade again?

Thanks.
ugh, these are not easy to resolve. Is it a 220 or a 016 ticket? Assuming 220 ticket then they CAN do this while preserving the upgrade ... that said, that is usually leaving the upgraded flight and changing the other ones. If the only chance to resolve this is to change everything including changing ICN-FRA to ICN-MUC then that is not easy to do, assuming Lufthansa needs to re-issue the ticket. I have been lucky once with an experienced agent to preserve an upgrade, but in other cases it cancelled, refunded the +Ps and I needed to re-apply them. Problem is that LH CS is horrendous right now (unless you are flying F); hope for the best, expect the worst.
Old Aug 19, 22, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
ugh, these are not easy to resolve. Is it a 220 or a 016 ticket? Assuming 220 ticket then they CAN do this while preserving the upgrade ... that said, that is usually leaving the upgraded flight and changing the other ones. If the only chance to resolve this is to change everything including changing ICN-FRA to ICN-MUC then that is not easy to do, assuming Lufthansa needs to re-issue the ticket. I have been lucky once with an experienced agent to preserve an upgrade, but in other cases it cancelled, refunded the +Ps and I needed to re-apply them. Problem is that LH CS is horrendous right now (unless you are flying F); hope for the best, expect the worst.
Thank you. It's a 220 ticket. It's not until 2023 so hopefully BR can move their shuttle flight an hour earlier as well.

Search this Thread