Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Doing 47k BIS this month (DEC) and 0 in JAN

Thus need to use them up now

I'm on another 2 SYD->SFO/LAX TPAC's in the next week, I'll ask the crews on both flights if they know anything
Most folks have reported few problems using "expired" drink chits. I've been denied only once, by a German flight crew.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by drewguy
Most folks have reported few problems using "expired" drink chits. I've been denied only once, by a German flight crew.
That figures.

Cheap alcohol jokes aside, why load up on alcohol on a plane and arrive with a puffy face, or is that just me?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That figures.

Cheap alcohol jokes aside, why load up on alcohol on a plane and arrive with a puffy face, or is that just me?
Your face gets puffy? You need more practice.

Seriously though, depends what you're doing on arrival... if your 16 hour ORD-HKG is followed by a another flight, say HKG-SIN....
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan

but those "wines" in Y are so horrible I can barely see it as a benefit. I have a stack of those drink chits that 1K mailed to me and I'm letting them sit at my desk since drinking that wine would make me throw up in the cabin.
It's way better than the free wine in the United Clubs, Sycamore aka SICKamore.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:15 pm

Any updates on this?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by drewguy
I had no issues using my white ones all the way into may this year when I ran out
I still have a pile (>1000) of 1990's Headphone/Drink chits
When my grandad retired from united in 92 they gave him (or he grabbed) a box of them
The FA's who have been around that long happily take them and ask me where on earth I got one

Because of Tentacle Jr(s) I have told work I'm not flying next year so I'm trying to use everything up now
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
That figures.

Having a drink or two <> loading up.

Plenty of folks can responsibly have a beer or wine with the "meal" and maybe another, and resent having to shell out $15 to do so.

That said, while I'd prefer completely free, I would be fine with an approach that provided a pre-meal drink and a drink at the meal for free, and charge after that.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by worldtrav
It's way better than the free wine in the United Clubs, Sycamore aka SICKamore.
Exactly. That's why I go straight to Barcadi Rum. It's a lot harder to f-up hard liquor.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, I couple glasses of red can help dosing off.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, why the double standard, since UA will be the only carrier (except may be Icelandair) on TATL not to offer free alcohol, even all the Middle East carriers offer it. They can at least offer it once during the first meal.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
So now we are here, any word if this one is true?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by hyho61
Yes, why the double standard, since UA will be the only carrier (except may be Icelandair) on TATL not to offer free alcohol, even all the Middle East carriers offer it. They can at least offer it once during the first meal.
This is what I don't understand indeed. Why should TATL pay for wine on UA while their closest partner LH is serving wine for free (and better wine than the small bottles on UA)?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
This is what I don't understand indeed. Why should TATL pay for wine on UA while their closest partner LH is serving wine for free (and better wine than the small bottles on UA)?
Their "network" of closest partner TATL serves much better beer as well, free of charge (LX, though I believe LH has decent beer, but haven't done them in Y in some time)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hyho61
Both TPAC and TATL, UA is the lone holdout (US does not serve either, but this will change when US changes name to AA). It is high time they do this, even if it is just a single brand of beer and red/white wine.
US has served complimentary wine with the main meal on TATL flights for quite some time, and aligned to the AA standard of free beer and wine throughout the flight in September. UA is indeed the lone (significant) TATL player in this regard.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
US has served complimentary wine with the main meal on TATL flights for quite some time, and aligned to the AA standard of free beer and wine throughout the flight in September. UA is indeed the lone (significant) TATL player in this regard.
How about DL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.