Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOR-"Busted?": Free alcohol returns to TPAC on Jan 1, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by LNKed
This is a clear indicator of poor management, which I realize is not hitting on anything new here, but I'm struggling to see why all investors, customers, and employees have not made any changes. The last time I was in the United Club working with an agent due to a weather delay, he was struggling with SHARES to rebook my flight for the next morning and give me a hotel voucher.
Because some of the employees are just incompetent and lazy. I'm not defending SHARES but after two plus years you should have figured out how to work it. Would you give a pass to a pilot who couldn't figure out how to land an airplane because he has new to it? Or a mechanic who couldn't change a tire because it's a new type? Or a FA who refused to turn on an oven because they've never seen this one before? I wouldn't, but when it comes to agents, we instantly blame the system for the users lack of will power to be even remotely competent at their job.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
NOOO I am likely gonna be in E+ SFO-HKG next week and was looking forwards to a few drinks to pass the time. Bad news for me...

I guess it's back to the ol' have a few in the UC before takeoff
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
United express FA was talking about this today on IAH-CVG, he thought it was happening.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by fgirard
There is a precedent for this as US managed to attempt to be an LCC and a legacy and is succeeding in the realm of actually making money.
US did not make money because they were a "LCC and legacy" instead they had substantially sub-industry wages, leading to a lower cost structure. The HP and US unions were at war and never got wage increases as a result. US actually had sub-par revenue numbers, and survived by offering connecting fares that were less than its competitors. Anyone who comparison shopped before the US/AA merger would find US to be $100-200 cheaper on most itineraries. Lower revenue, but lower costs worked.

Parker knew that that "competitive advantage" would go away at some point, at which point US would have gone away, hence the AA merger.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by spin88
Parker knew that that "competitive advantage" would go away at some point, at which point US would have gone away, hence the AA merger.
Also, the CO-UA merger happened, at which time US was no longer the revenue laggard. That crown went to United, who had formerly held the crown for revenue king.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Quote:

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Unless free transpac alcohol includes spirits it is a watered down offering.

PMUA had it right.

No they didn't. They didn't offer booze for free TATL when all the competition, save for the American companies, offered it.
You answered your own issue. Meet comp. and if a customer flies LH all the better.

spirits transpac is a must. Many more formidable options. PMUA understood where it needed to focus scarce cash and where not.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BB2220
Because some of the employees are just incompetent and lazy. I'm not defending SHARES but after two plus years you should have figured out how to work it. Would you give a pass to a pilot who couldn't figure out how to land an airplane because he has new to it? Or a mechanic who couldn't change a tire because it's a new type? Or a FA who refused to turn on an oven because they've never seen this one before? I wouldn't, but when it comes to agents, we instantly blame the system for the users lack of will power to be even remotely competent at their job.
I agree 1000% however is it a problem UA has not put in the proper training, or the employees are not trying.
Also I thought there was to be a big change in SHARES, perhaps UA didn't invest, in employee training because the changes were coming? ( now delayed)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by 787fan
DL can afford to because their E+ cabin is painfully tiny. It'll cost UA 3x for the same benefit assuming the same % of alcoholics.
AA does it for all its ExecPlats in the back on all flights.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
What in the world am I going to do with all my free drink chits now? LOL
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 787fan
DL can afford to because their E+ cabin is painfully tiny. It'll cost UA 3x for the same benefit assuming the same % of alcoholics.
DL can afford stuff because their profit margin is double United's.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...105-story.html
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dvs7310
What in the world am I going to do with all my free drink chits now? LOL
Send them to krazykanuck
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
I think they're trying to figure out how to be sustainable as some sort of hybrid carrier -- a hybrid between a LCC and a full-service carrier. And with that comes relentless cost control. Free drinks doesn't fit anywhere into that equation.
I think this is right on the money. UA is trying to walk a very fine line, but it remains to be seen whether said line is competitive with the rest of the industry, including DL and AA.

United's revenue growth yoy has been strong and the carrier will be very profitable in 2015. The question is not whether UA can afford to comp drinks in Y cabins (it can) but whether it can get away with avoiding a pure cost item without impacting demand. The answer is probably in the affirmative, but it leads to a rather unfulfilling experience for passengers, especially where other aspects of the product which are (or are becoming) fundamental to air travel, including on time performance, in-seat IFE, power, wifi, etc., are lacking.

Last edited by EWR764; Jan 7, 2015 at 8:23 am
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by spin88
Anyone who comparison shopped before the US/AA merger would find US to be $100-200 cheaper on most itineraries.
Never saw that

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You answered your own issue. Meet comp. and if a customer flies LH all the better.

spirits transpac is a must. Many more formidable options. PMUA understood where it needed to focus scarce cash and where not.
I disagree. The competition TATL offered booze (and still does). Not just LH/LX. BA, AF, KL, AZ, LY, etc. all offered before the merger and still do today. BA's on-board bar service in Y for non-status pax is better than the UC in terms of free options.

And AA, DL.

Why is TPAC so much a "must" but not TATL?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
While US had lower fares that had heavy competition, they charged a premium for the numerous smaller cities they served (more than most). Having lived in Ithaca and Gainesville, I can attest that it was a hefty premium. Unlike UA, US never promoted itself as a "first in class" operation like UA does. Hence, no one expected free booze on any flight in back. UA pretends it is a quality carrier but can't even serve a free drink on routes the rest of the world's carriers do.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Had my first UA transpac in E+ yesterday, SFO-HND. I inquired about the free beer change, the FA seems to have not heard about it at all unfortunately. They were most definitely charging which sucks because I forgot my drink chits at home (I didn't pay out of principle, had 3 in the UC before that flight so guess that was enough). I guess UA has to do something to make some ancillary revenue on this route as it's the 2nd time I've flown it and it looks like they are taking a bath on it, this really needs to be a 787 or 767 route. E+ was perhaps 25% full, every passenger that wanted one had an entire 3 seat row to themselves on the 772. C was booked at about 70%, so that may make up the difference, only 4 of those appeared to be upgraders based on the upgrade status before the flight (those also could have been C to F, it's not clear from that screen).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.