Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HNL-GUM-CNS. The risk of getting stuck in GUM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

I am contemplating booking an award ticket from HNL to CNS next August. The UA201 flight arrives to GUM at 6:00 pm and the UA94 departs at 6:50 pm. UA94 only runs twice a week and I wonder what would happen if one misconnects between these two flights due to late UA201 arrival. Is the only option waiting for the next UA94 departure or UA would rebook on OAL? There are very few other options and virtually no Star Alliance flights. I will only have a few days in Cairns and 2 or 3 day delay in GUM would result in trip in vain.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
HNL-GUM is a big feeder to the smaller connecting flights out of GUM I assume. So they may indeed hold the plane to CNS if it's late. Theoretically they could fly you to HK and rebook on CX. I've flown out of GUM a bunch but never missed a connection so not sure.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, VA Plat, EY Gold
Most of the time (usually) they hold the flights.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
GUM is a small and efficient airport - I've come in late on 201 and they've held the smaller flights to the islands and MNL as most of the traffic is coming off of the delayed flight. I imagine you will be safe booking this. Worse case if things were already going awry in HNL, they'd access another carrier to get you there via SYD, MEL, or through HKG.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
You shouldn't have a problem making the CNS flight after arriving in GUM. As previously stated, the plane is normally held because the HNL flight is the main feeder flight for GUM.

If worse comes to worse a day or two in GUM is nice! There are worse places to get suck.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I booked the flight and I hope that I (and my luggage) will make the connection. I plan to go to AKL next and the Air New Zealand flight is also not daily and missing the latter flight will break my itinerary significantly.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: CO Plat
Just flew reverse CNS/GUM/IAH on miles. Connection in GUM no problem (we were late departing CNS). However connecting in HNL to IAH (1 hour) was a nightmare. Warning: the meals from CNS to GUM to HNL were the worst I have ever had in my 30+ years of flying United...even below current United standards. And exactly the same meal on both legs. Perhaps your flights will be catered out of HNL and have better fare. On the plus side: delightful crew from HNL to IAH (HNL-based).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
GUM-CNS turns around to GUM also to feed onward NRT and HNL connections. So if it's just a bit late, GUM will not act like IAH and let something go just for on-time stats. (You won't "just miss" a flight at GUM.) However, if significantly late, they might not want to risk the next morning's connections either.

If GUM-CNS is still Thu/Sun then there won't be GUM-HKG on those days. Alternatives are likely getting off at HNL or GUM-NRT/KIX arriving 11 am next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.