Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Express F/A says {likely in error} Premier members must pay for E+ seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Express F/A says {likely in error} Premier members must pay for E+ seating

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Question United Express F/A says {likely in error} Premier members must pay for E+ seating

I am a 1K and recently took a flight from EWR-MSP on United Express. All economy+ seats (really just exit row on the Emb145RJ) were taken so I was in a economy seat. After boarding completed, I noticed an open seat at the exit window. As the door was closing I asked the FA if I can move to the seat. She said even as a Premier member they had a new policy that required payment ($125) for that seat. I was shocked and explained that made no sense. She ultimately relented but was still adamant that she was only doing me a favour. Anyone experienced this with United Express?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
No policy change. Just an Illinformed FA.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If I were the OP, I will let the FA to charge it.

More screw-up means more voucher...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Charge it next time cause then they will refund it.
As Gary said, you should get a comp on top for being an 1k member
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
United Express F/A says Premier members must pay for Economy+ seating

After you wait 6 months for them to reply. Then they'll deny responsibility. Eventually you'll get your money back
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
FA's really don't want to be moving passengers around. If they're wrong and someone (else) complains, they'll suffer blowback. You could imagine another FT'er coming here to complain about apparent schenangians on your flight.

These sort of situations are best addressed by the gate agent before boarding.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
This. If you wanted the exit row, the appropriate thing to do was to ask the GA before boarding.

FAs jobs are not the same as GAs which are not the same as reservation agents which are not the same as tech support, Etc. An FA shouldn't be moving people into premium seats without payment unless there is an operational need to do so. Or is instructed to by the GA.

FAs aren't trained on elite benefits, and in most cases, don't need to be. Before departure, there could even be weight/balance considerations that come into play if you are moved to a seat that you aren't assigned to, and could put those calculations off. Not to mention, even if they do know about the E+ benefit, they likely have no idea if one who says they are elite are lying to get a freebie.

That said, I do understand why one would frustrated. But there is another side to this.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FA training is a minimal issue. Half an hour of "ancillary revenue training" plus a laminated placard would easily suffice. While I agree that FAs shouldn't have to become expert on all aspects of elite status benefits, FAs are the last chance to monetize extra-cost seating options.

The laminated placard would contain a simple flow-chart along with photos of elite status cards that would get the E+ seat for free. Similar to the laminated cards that help lounge attendants determine who gets admitted.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
OP didn't know about the free seat till on the plane.

FAs don't know about elite benefits, sure, so this is not very surprising. But don't blame the OP for an inexplicably aggressive FA who could have easily logiced through how wrong she was.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:24 pm

Express FAs don't even work for United, so I doubt they know too much about something like that in the first place. They should, but I doubt their training is that extensive. I actually know a FA that works for Skywest, and she works both United Express and Delta Connection flights. I imagine that alone makes it difficult to keep straight the specific rules and procedures of each airline. Most of them have a hard enough time remembering what city they're even in.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
No, these sort of situations are best addressed by reading the OP.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by w1der4l
..She said even as a Premier member they had a new policy that required payment ($125) for that seat.
$125 for that hop? You sure it wasn't EWR-NRT?

Good that you prevailed .. most folks in North American fora credit the trolley dollies with ways too much insider knowledge and sapience.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i had this happen on mainline UA with an IAD-based sUA crew KWI-IAD. not limited to UX operations. if it happens again, i'll pay and get the charge reversed.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The laminated placard would contain a simple flow-chart along with photos of elite status cards that would get the E+ seat for free. Similar to the laminated cards that help lounge attendants determine who gets admitted.
Except who has their elite card on them? I'm far less diligent ever since LH stopped expecting me to produce it to access their lounges.

We could rely on what my phone says, but I can just as easily show a FA a photo of the "mobile app" convienently doctored than the actual mobile app.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No, these sort of situations are best addressed by reading the OP.
I read the OP. I understand the door was closing; but by moving under the watchful eye of the FA rather than the GA, the OP may have made another passenger (hypothetically) think schenangians were happening.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Except who has their elite card on them?
Your status is on the boarding pass, which you should probably have when you board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.