Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable.

In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable.

Old Dec 1, 14, 1:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Posts: 575
In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable.

In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable. The seat is lower and shorter. The worst is the lack of back padding. It is literally a board. The irony is the sides of the back have thick padding, the middle, absolutely none.

What gives? Is if really too expensive to give us 1" of foam on your back, or an extra inch of seat pan in F? My lower back hurt as much as in slimline coach.
johnden is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 2:02 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,693
"Thank you, sir, may I have another!"
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 4:33 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 244
They also reduced the seat pitch in the new 737-900. I can see taking space from the back - but making first smaller? That is the one thing that makes me look at other airlines.
DavidRS4 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 4:44 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,822
Originally Posted by johnden View Post
In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable. The seat is lower and shorter. The worst is the lack of back padding. It is literally a board. The irony is the sides of the back have thick padding, the middle, absolutely none.

What gives? Is if really too expensive to give us 1" of foam on your back, or an extra inch of seat pan in F? My lower back hurt as much as in slimline coach.
IMO, while not great, they're an improvement over the old boxy, 90 degree upright PMCO F seats, which I found to be just about the least ergonomically friendly ones in F I've ever flown.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 7:09 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Programs: DL BA Amex
Posts: 909
I'm not sure which aircraft have them, but I hate the F seats with the adjustable headrests. I'm 5' 10" and the head rest is very uncomfortable in the DOWN position required during take-off and landing.

SOT... but I don't quite understand this rule that the headrest must be down during take-off and landing. Perhaps it's to allow FA's to see passengers better, or for passengers to see better in an emergency situation... but these reasons seem insignificant compared to the rules allowing electronics and headphones during take-off and landing.
bajrbajr is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 7:32 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 40,586
Originally Posted by johnden View Post
In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable. The seat is lower and shorter. The worst is the lack of back padding. It is literally a board. The irony is the sides of the back have thick padding, the middle, absolutely none.

What gives? Is if really too expensive to give us 1" of foam on your back, or an extra inch of seat pan in F? My lower back hurt as much as in slimline coach.
These days, customer comfort takes a back seat to company profit.

I have no doubt that when the new BF seats are fielded, they will be similarly miserly when it comes to comfort.
halls120 is online now  
Old Dec 1, 14, 8:04 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ORD-LAS
Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 4,368
The worst, the aisle seat has no room in front for a bag. And yea the seats are awful.
LASUA1K is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 8:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 5,290
In the new 737s, I find the F seats miserable.

How does Y or E+ compare to those F seats?
gaobest is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 8:40 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles / Basel
Posts: 24,788
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
IMO, while not great, they're an improvement over the old boxy, 90 degree upright PMCO F seats, which I found to be just about the least ergonomically friendly ones in F I've ever flown.
This.

The CO seats are horrible.
MatthewLAX is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 9:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: san antonio, texas
Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Posts: 1,569
Originally Posted by bajrbajr View Post

SOT... but I don't quite understand this rule that the headrest must be down during take-off and landing. Perhaps it's to allow FA's to see passengers better, or for passengers to see better in an emergency situation... but these reasons seem insignificant compared to the rules allowing electronics and headphones during take-off and landing.
Crash survivability. FAA mandates that a seat pass dynamic G force deceleration and that includes a load path for the head
luckypierre is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 9:57 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco/Tel Aviv/YYZ
Programs: CO 1K-MM
Posts: 10,409
The new seats do suck, but the old CO seats sucked as well.

Personally, I preferred the pmUA F seats, with comfortable fabric that breathes, and an "at rest" recline that was comfortable.
entropy is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 9:58 am
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto YYZ UA-1K 1MM,QFgold
Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Posts: 14,285
the good news if the seat is crap, is it will take United 10 years to roll it out.
why fly is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 11:00 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 53,514
Originally Posted by bajrbajr View Post
I'm not sure which aircraft have them, but I hate the F seats with the adjustable headrests. I'm 5' 10" and the head rest is very uncomfortable in the DOWN position required during take-off and landing.
The worst head rests are the PMUA 757 F seats; those headrests make my back ache when in the down position. OTOH, those F seats are overall far more comfortable than the new 737 F seats (or the older PMCO ones), despite their age.

I had a redeye on one of the 737s with new F seats a week or two ago and was miserable. Limited recline, poor cushioning... ugh.


Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
How does Y or E+ compare to those F seats?
The newer Y seats are horrid. They're like prison benches. My rear gets numb from sitting in them for more than 30 minutes.


Originally Posted by luckypierre View Post
Crash survivability. FAA mandates that a seat pass dynamic G force deceleration and that includes a load path for the head
Seems odd though that crash survivability would be better without something to cushion your head. I'd have thought that tall people would be at significant risk for traumatic neck injuries on typical airline seats where their heads extend above the seat backs.
exerda is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 11:13 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by bajrbajr View Post
I'm not sure which aircraft have them, but I hate the F seats with the adjustable headrests. I'm 5' 10" and the head rest is very uncomfortable in the DOWN position required during take-off and landing.

SOT... but I don't quite understand this rule that the headrest must be down during take-off and landing. Perhaps it's to allow FA's to see passengers better, or for passengers to see better in an emergency situation... but these reasons seem insignificant compared to the rules allowing electronics and headphones during take-off and landing.
Yes, slamming the headrest down. I don't get it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 14 at 12:28 pm Reason: langage
LANDJ999 is offline  
Old Dec 1, 14, 1:43 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
How does Y or E+ compare to those F seats?
Wait till you get a wiff of that E+ in the new 737's. They are immediately downwind from a new common loo location.
Y is worse than the normal bad. Pitch is non-existent. Insult to injury is the 17" width. At least on the A319's & A320's, the Y width is 5% more.
I avoid the new 737's every chance I get.
Long Zhiren is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: