Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to book LH Premium Economy on United ticket stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to book LH Premium Economy on United ticket stock?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Follow up on my previous post - it was about booking G class on 016 ticket stock by a call to United, and then getting a $630 upgrade offer on lh.com. I'm flying tonight. I was wondering why I hadn't gotten the usual invitation to olci but I went online to do so - and my outward flight was not there. Several phone calls got me back in a premium economy upgrade, and acknowledgement that I had paid for an upgrade, but no seats are available at this point. One very helpful American phone agent said "I have seen this before when people book via United" and it appeared that the outward reservation had been cancelled a few days ago. Of course I am due a refund for the upgrade but I'd much rather have that seat
pursue an EC reg 261 downgrade compensation as well.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
The other day on ua.com, I changed a UA flight that included all LH segments on the return, which were only available in E. Imagine my surprise (and pleasure) when checking LH segments on lh.com when I saw that the E had booked me in PE. I was able to choose seats accordingly on both the A330 and the 747.

While I am waitlisted for GPUs on both LH segments, it's nice to know that if there is no availability I will at least be in PE.

The original ticket was in Economy, booked through a travel agent. I modified the itin online. Has anyone tried searching for fare code E on ua.com and been successful booking PE that way?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big V
The original ticket was in Economy, booked through a travel agent. I modified the itin online. Has anyone tried searching for fare code E on ua.com and been successful booking PE that way?
The PE fare classes don’t exist on the UA codeshares, and United.com is set up to prefer the UA codeshare when it exists. The only way I could see this working would be if you were taking a route where there’s no UA code.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

The PE fare classes don’t exist on the UA codeshares, and United.com is set up to prefer the UA codeshare when it exists. The only way I could see this working would be if you were taking a route where there’s no UA code.
i haven’t figured it out, but sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn’t.

I remember a couole of years ago booking to BLR from CVG. For some weird reason, it was offering FRA-BLR as a LH flight number as a single connection within the US (I.e - XXX-IAD-FRA-BLR or XXX-EWR-FRA-BLR) at much more expensive rates then a double connection within the US with UA codeshares on FRA-BLR (I.e, XXX-IAD-EWR-BLR or XXX-ORD-IAD-BLR). Could never figure it out. Since I was t in a rush, took a double connection. At the time, you could do advance seat selection on LH (I was on a W fare so had to pay), but still, within 24 hours of booking I called and had the agent change the FRA-BLR segment to an LH one. Turned out booking a seat at $35 was a bit of a waste of money, as when I checked in, I was assigned a seat in Biz (think it was oversold). So skipped over PE and got straight into C. Instead, I think of it as paying for the cheapest upgrade offer ever (take that - UA TODs).
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Premium econ on Lufthansa via booking with United

So I am going to make a flight later this year from BKK to CDG/ORY and want to book with United so I get my beloved PQD and PQM for gold status. But I also would prefer to fly on premium economy or have a bulkhead seat with extra legroom (I am tall and sitting in econ is really stressful). Questions how I can do this? If its even possible. Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2018 at 9:48 pm Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Call UA and read them the itinerary to book it on 016 stock. You may get pushback since this doesn't even come close to the US, but if you can price it where FRA-PAR is a UA codeshare I think it should be a slam dunk to get UA to book.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: None - previously UA

Anyway to get United.com to sell LH1282 rather than the UA codeshare, I assume this is what is causing the ~$465 fare difference? I can price the last option on Expedia for about $1815. United phone agents only want to sell me the UA codeshares, tried twice.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Anyway to get United.com to sell LH1282 rather than the UA codeshare, I assume this is what is causing the ~$465 fare difference? I can price the last option on Expedia for about $1815. United phone agents only want to sell me the UA codeshares, tried twice.
If you buy it on Expedia, there's a decent chance it's issued on UA stock, as the first flight is UA coded and operated.

I don't recall Expedia's cancel policy.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you buy it on Expedia, there's a decent chance it's issued on UA stock, as the first flight is UA coded and operated.
Thanks, I actually got a charge directly from United on my CC and a $10 fee charge from Expedia.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't recall Expedia's cancel policy.
It tells you 24 hours but then said I can cancel within 72 hours.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Odd Result When Booking LH on UA.com

I'm looking at booking a flight operated by LH but sold with a UA flight number. For each class of service, it shows the fare buckets - in this case Y O J - but shows zeroes for award miles and elite qualification miles. I do intend to buy Premium Economy and use a GPU if possible to upgrade to Business. I prefer to purchase this flight on UA to get the PQDs. Any thoughts why this might be happening?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is a very common display error, often reported and discussed.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Any thoughts why this might be happening?
It's a display error. It happens frequently with new routes. Your flights will post as normal, according to the LH chart for the underlying fare class.

You'll need to get UA to convert the reservation to LH flight numbers anyway in order to apply the GPU.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:27 am

It's a display error. It happens frequently with new routes. Your flights will post as normal, according to the LH chart for the underlying fare class.

You'll need to get UA to convert the reservation to LH flight numbers anyway in order to apply the GPU.
Thanks! So does this mean since it shows "O" class I will earn no PQMs per the LH chart? If so will call UA to book in N, G or E.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...lufthansa.html
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Thanks! So does this mean since it shows "O" class I will earn no PQMs per the LH chart? If so will call UA to book in N, G or E.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...lufthansa.html
No. O maps to G, A maps to E, and R maps to N when flying LH PE with a United codeshare.

For future reference, note that UA R / LH N are not upgradeable with a GPU when flying an LH-operated flight. Your UA O / LH G will be upgradeable.
US @ DEN likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:41 am

No. O maps to G, A maps to E, and R maps to N when flying LH PE with a United codeshare.

For future reference, note that UA R / LH N are not upgradeable with a GPU when flying an LH-operated flight. Your UA O / LH G will be upgradeable.
Awesome, thanks!
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.