Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by jw461
Definitely not the wrong thread. CSR gets 3x points when purchasing restaurant gift cards via MPX (on and off anyway) so I was wondering if anyone had tried the Amex Gold for 4x points.
Sorry, my bad. I didnt think MPX gift cards ever triggered the standard points categories like that. I must be missing a trick. In what scenario would it be better to purchase a restaurant MPX gift card over just using the card to pay at the restaurant?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Sorry, my bad. I didnt think MPX gift cards ever triggered the standard points categories like that. I must be missing a trick. In what scenario would it be better to purchase a restaurant MPX gift card over just using the card to pay at the restaurant?
$50 bill at Red Robin paid with CSR = 150 UR points
$50 bill at Red Robin paid with MPX = 150 UR points + 250 UA miles
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:49 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jw461
Definitely not the wrong thread. CSR gets 3x points when purchasing restaurant gift cards via MPX (on and off anyway) so I was wondering if anyone had tried the Amex Gold for 4x points.
is this back to working again? I thought CSR, INK, etc. AND MPX did not work anymore.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Airlines Unveils New United MileagePlus X App

United Chase Visa Cardmembers can Earn 1,000 Bonus Award Miles for Enrolling in United Visa Rewards Now Through March 31, 2019

CHICAGO, Jan. 10, 2019
Today, United Airlines is introducing the relaunch of the United MileagePlus X app, which offers United MileagePlus® members a unique opportunity to earn award miles for everyday purchases. The app has been refreshed to integrate additional programs to make it even easier for members to accumulate miles. Additionally, the app features the launch of United Visa Rewards with offers from merchants like Sam's Club®, Wayfair®, and StubHubTM, offering UnitedSM Chase Visa Cardmembers even more ways to earn miles.

App enhancements
  • MileagePlus DiningSM: The existing MileagePlus Dining program has been integrated into the MileagePlus X app. With seamless enrollment and showcasing nearby restaurants, members' ability to choose where to dine and earn miles is now in the palm of their hand.
  • MileagePlus Shopping: The longstanding shopping program is now available through the MileagePlus X app, and offers members the ability to shop and earn miles on the go at more than 900 retailers.
  • United Visa Rewards: This new program is powered by Visa Commerce Network, which allows enrolled individuals to receive valuable offers within MileagePlus X thanks to the power of the Visa payments network. United Visa Rewards is available exclusively to United Chase Visa Cardmembers in the U.S. who are now able to enroll their eligible card into the program via the app. From there, they can view active enhanced mileage earning offers from participating merchants. Once program participants make a qualifying purchase with a participating merchant, they will receive a near real-time reward notification within the app. As a special launch offer, from now until March 31, 2019, United Chase Visa Cardmembers can earn 1,000 bonus award miles by simply enrolling their eligible credit card for the first time into the program.1
"We are excited to launch the new MileagePlus X app, which allows MileagePlus members to earn and redeem award miles in real time for their everyday purchases at hundreds of merchants across the U.S, matching the increased benefits our UnitedSM Explorer Cardmembers received with the new credit card last summer," said Luc Bondar, president of MileagePlus Holdings and vice president of loyalty at United Airlines. "As mobile payments become more commonplace, it was a natural tie for United to update the features, enable members to make purchases and earn and use miles on the go."

"Visa and United have been working together for over 20 years," said Terry Angelos, SVP, loyalty & offers, Visa. "As digitally-savvy individuals continue to help shape the future of digital commerce, Visa continues to work with United and Chase to bring new ways to reward consumers for their loyalty. At the same time, participating merchants will benefit from Visa Commerce Network's ability to deliver custom solutions that will help increase their customer base and loyalty, ultimately helping them continue to grow their business."

Through the MileagePlus X app, members can purchase eGift Cards from hundreds of restaurants and retailers. One of the savviest ways to take advantage of this feature is to buy an eGift Card in the amount of the purchase price while at checkout at a participating merchant. In addition, primary United Chase Cardmembers earn a 25% bonus on miles earned from MileagePlus on eGift Card purchases made through the app. Customers can find eGift Cards from a variety of categories such as shopping, dining, transportation, lodging, music, and more.

1 Available to first time enrollees only
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Thanks for the heads up @WineCountryUA ! I just enrolled on the app, although there was no notification or mention about receiving bonus points
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Thanks for the heads up @WineCountryUA ! I just enrolled on the app, although there was no notification or mention about receiving bonus points
Same here. I enrolled, but no mention of a bonus.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:24 pm

Hi everyone. Learnt about this app just today. Must have been living under a rock. Have an Android phone with Nougat OS 7.1.1. But when trying
to download the app from Google Play store it says my phone is incompatible. Any experiences out there?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Hi everyone. Learnt about this app just today. Must have been living under a rock. Have an Android phone with Nougat OS 7.1.1. But when trying
to download the app from Google Play store it says my phone is incompatible. Any experiences out there?
Your phone may need to stay under the rock while you come out from under it to get a newer phone Mr Lainys has been using a Samsung Rugby for more years than I have fingers on a hand.... switched him to a OnePlus 6T on TMobile during Black Friday and he is still amazed at how fast he can scroll thru his emails!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:14 pm

I am of the generation that was impressed by a trimline phone with lighted dials. Then I jumped into the mobile phone environment with a Windows phone and imagine my excitement
when I got my first Android phone. I thought Nougat was a recent OS so I am still disappointed that it won't work with this special UA app. It does work with the regular mobile app and I
feel empowered to walk up to the gate agent with the mobile boarding pass displayed. Happy to hear you love your phone. I, on the other hand, subscribing to a senior citizen plan pay
probably the same amount per year that you pay per month.

Update : It wasn't the phone, something I am tremendously relieved about. Google Play of course was linked to "my" country Japan. And if I understand it this app is not available here.
Googled to find out how to switch countries and voila it worked. Not such a bad phone after all!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:13 am Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Missed this earlier but just caught the article on TPG. I will take the free 1,000 RDM, thank you very much
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Member

Mileage Plus X is back up and running for me (after 4 months of being down!) after some Tech Help from Mileage Plus X desk.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Ugh, "transaction declined" while I was trying to purchase a wm gc.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:12 pm

Cannot add cards to united mileageplus instore purchases

I havebtried to add mastercards, visas etc. no card is accepted. Non are US cards, does that matter?
this is the message I am getting when i go to manage cards and try to add my credit card.

Something went wrong. The service may be temporarily down or you may have tried to add an unsupported or invalid card

anyonw seen this?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by blink188
I havebtried to add mastercards, visas etc. no card is accepted. Non are US cards, does that matter?
this is the message I am getting when i go to manage cards and try to add my credit card.

Something went wrong. The service may be temporarily down or you may have tried to add an unsupported or invalid card

anyonw seen this?
have you tried adding the card directly to your profile on united.com? Then go to app and see if it's there, or you can add it
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:41 pm

So actually yes - it does appear on my united profile.
I deleted it an re added it to my profile, still cannot add it to my mileagplus shopping cards!
urgggg any other ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.