Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by sggolf
This is so frustrating! I’ve been waiting for 3 weeks for a reply from United MP+ in why all my purchases are failing!

Now there’s a new update to the app. Finally! But my purchases are still failing! I’ve deleted the app and it still fails.
I'm having the same issue. Both my Chase United-branded cards fail. My other Chase cards seem to work. Very frustrating.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by diburning
The app makes me log in every time as well. There's no settings screen, and no option to set up Touch ID for login as was possible with the old app.

I'm confident that they'll re-add that feature eventually.
There was an iOS update about a week and a half ago that will let you use your fingerprint / facial recognition. I originally had the version that you had to log in manually every time, but upgraded about 4 days ago and now can use my face.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by phkc070408
There was an iOS update about a week and a half ago that will let you use your fingerprint / facial recognition. I originally had the version that you had to log in manually every time, but upgraded about 4 days ago and now can use my face.
LOVING the facial rec on this latest update. Has come in handy for Black Friday shopping.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UAL: 1K; MAR: T
I've had tons of issue with the APP on Android since the update. First the app won't allow me to buy GCs with my united mileageplus visa, but any other cc works fine. About two weeks ago, all my CCs had stopped working with the APP. The support for the APP is non-existent (they told me I have to be in the USA for the app to work, what utter BS). I have tried everything I can think of: clear cache/data for the app; uninstall/reinstall the app; delete all stored cc's on my united profile, etc etc.

Just now, after one more failure on my phone, I decided to install the APP on an iOS device (iPad). Did not change anything on my profile, it just worked.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:32 pm

I was using it fine with my Mileageplus Explorer card. My wife got her own card (same kind) so I removed mine and loaded hers (since we want to focus spend on that) - now it wont work. Transactions fail. It's weird - the transaction amount hits the card, but the app then rejects it. I currently have 6 x $25 charges "pending" - all from when i kept trying to perform the same transaction.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:15 pm

Problem Solved (for me at least)

I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread. I had all the usual problems and couldn't get MPX to work no matter what I tried (multiple devices, deleting app, etc). There seems to be something getting corrupted if you enter a card directly into MPX.

What did just work is going to www.united.com and deleting any payment cards on your profile. I didn't realize there is a hard link between your United.com (MileagePlus) saved cards and the cards you enter on MPX. After you have deleted all cards, simply add the card you want to use in MPX and save it. Log into MPX and it should be there to use.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
There's an option to add cards in the app? I don't see it on mine. I have to go into my MP profile every time to update. Sometimes if I want to liquidate a Visa/MC gift card by using them to make purchases on MPX, I have to add it through the main site.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
There's an option to add cards in the app? I don't see it on mine. I have to go into my MP profile every time to update. Sometimes if I want to liquidate a Visa/MC gift card by using them to make purchases on MPX, I have to add it through the main site.
I think the only way to add cards in the app is to actually make a transaction - when you go to pay it will let you input a new card. However, doing it that way is what caused me errors. Much better to add a new card via your united.com profile.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Problem Solved (for me at least)

I think someone mentioned this earlier in the thread. I had all the usual problems and couldn't get MPX to work no matter what I tried (multiple devices, deleting app, etc). There seems to be something getting corrupted if you enter a card directly into MPX.

What did just work is going to www.united.com and deleting any payment cards on your profile. I didn't realize there is a hard link between your United.com (MileagePlus) saved cards and the cards you enter on MPX. After you have deleted all cards, simply add the card you want to use in MPX and save it. Log into MPX and it should be there to use.
I had a similar type of issue. I had tried deleting and re-adding my credit card in my united.com account, but hadn't any success until tonight. I added my CC once again, but left out a card description, and voila, the app finally allowed me to purchase a gift card. The first time since the middle of June I have been able to buy GCs. I hope this helps others with a similar issue.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by GUM_elite
Download MileagePlusX and buy a starbucks card duh
Just downloaded to my iphone, and if I now go to Starbucks and get a coffee, and I want credit for that purchase on my Starbucks and I want it to credit this new app and United, what do I do when I am at Starbucks? How do I do that?

So I am buying a gift card on that app, will in no way be associated with my Starbuck app or loyalty purchases, right? Then I use the app and the amount I have bought on that app to get the coffee then that constitutes a transaction thus extending my mileage life?

it appears you can PAY for the gift card using your miles, I didnt click on that because it didnt say how much. How many MILES will it deduct for each DOLLAR I put on there, as it does NOT tell you before you do it, amazingly eough.

Last edited by randys1; Dec 15, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by randys1
Just downloaded to my iphone, and if I now go to Starbucks and get a coffee, and I want credit for that purchase on my Starbucks and I want it to credit this new app and United, what do I do when I am at Starbucks? How do I do that?
Request a gift card for purchase value and have the cashier scan the card on your phone. May take a minute.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:59 pm

Another option is to buy the Starbucks gift card in the app now. It’s like a normal gift card so you can add it to your Starbucks app today. When you’re at Starbucks pay with the the Starbucks app.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:20 am

Has anyone tried a restaurant purchase with the refreshed Amex Gold to see if 4x points post?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by jw461
Has anyone tried a restaurant purchase with the refreshed Amex Gold to see if 4x points post?
Not sure if you are in the wrong thread here.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Not sure if you are in the wrong thread here.
Definitely not the wrong thread. CSR gets 3x points when purchasing restaurant gift cards via MPX (on and off anyway) so I was wondering if anyone had tried the Amex Gold for 4x points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.