Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles

NEW as of 11/9/18:
App now includes MP Dining and MP Shopping in addition to eGift cards.

Dining: Once you log in and enable location sharing the app will tell you what MP Dining restaurant options are in your area. The app appears to know if you are a base or VIP dining member, and shows the appropriate earn rate you can expect (3 for base member or 5 miles per $ for VIP). Restaurants show in an incomplete "Nearby" list or are further visible under the "Cuisine Types" tab.

Shopping: You can browse the same list of stores you'd find on the main MileagePlus shopping website. There are tabs to show which stores are offering elevated offers as well as another with a searchable list of all stores who participated in the program. Tapping on the store will give you the option take you to that store's site so you can shop in your device's browser just as you would on a laptop or desktop.

Maximizing this app opp:
As per the app, you can double or triple dip. You get the UA miles from the app (+25% bonus if the app is attached to a MP acct), you get the miles (or CB, or whatever the deal is with your CC) from the CC attached to the app (via .bomb), and if you use the GC that is generated by the App and apply it online to a purchase via the MP shopping portal, you get the UA miles for that as well.
Ex: Buy $50 Staples MP-X credit with the app and get:
A. 2x on the app at Staples=100 UA (if you have a MP CC attached to the app, you get 25% more = 125 UA), PLUS
B. 2% CB with your BA+ card for example = $1 CB (but then no extra 25% bonus shown in A., above), PLUS
C. 1x on MP portal = 50 UA

Total would be 150 UA + $1CB in the example above (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added).

More scenarios:
-If you used a 1x UA MP card in the above example, it would be 125 UA+50 UA+50 UA=225 UA (a UA triple dip, e.g. A, B, and C).

-If you used a 5x INK card in the above example, it would be 100UA+*MAYBE 250UR+50UA = 150U+*MAYBE 250UR (a UA double dip, e.g. A and C, but a non-UA dip added and IMHO the best value: effectively 8x! *assuming the INK codes correctly as office supplies**).

**This is probably not the case, see post 513- no triple dipping

Conversions
Some MPX merchants allow for the purchase of a gift card with a gift card. This may allow you to use MPX to indirectly purchase a gift card to shop at a merchant otherwise not offered on MPX. As always, YMMV as you may encounter some merchants that may not allow this practice, rogue cashiers/managers who think it might not be allowed, or POS systems that are designed to not allow this (understandable as they make little to no money on the sale).

These merchants *may* include:

Best Buy - Does not allow purchase of Visa/Amex/MC gift cards, other merchant GCs OK.
GameStop
Sears

MPX Merchants that sell other merchants' GCs, but do not allow the purchase of GC with GC (MPX or otherwise):

Staples - Not allowed per policy, but may go through on their POS if cashier ignores prompt.
Barnes and Noble - No official policy - cashiers are trained that it's not allowed although it will go through on their POS
Office Depot
Lowes
eBay

Note: There appears to be a $3000.00 per 24 hours spend limit

MPX only works within the US - as per T&Cs! If you try to use the app outside the US, error code 126 will pop up.

Your MPX account name and password are the same as the united.com / MP account name and password. And your mile earned are locked to that MP account.
If using MPX to get a few miles to prevent mileage expiration, you need to be logged in as that account whose miles are approaching expiration.

In your account info is "Member since " date

customer service email address, [email protected]

Archived posts - MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Print Wikipost

MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:26 am

Yes. It should work. You add your credit card to her UA account and it will show up in the MPX app
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I am trying to save my niece's frequent flyer miles which expire in December. I am thinking that purchasing a gift card on this MPX site using HER Mileage Plus number would do the trick?

1. Is it OK for me to link my own CC to use, NOT my own United branded CC but a different one? It would be a card in my name, not hers.

2. Will this work as a way to 'save' her miles for another year???

THANKS ALL!
log into her acct thru the MPX app, when you choose the GC you want to buy add your card as the method of pmt. after the purchase the miles will post almost immediately. (at least they do for me when I use it)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:18 am

This app is useless. I just installed it for the first time and it crashes when I try to login.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: United, Southwest
Thanks much for your responses! I'll probably do it on my desktop computer. My niece needs to remember her LEAST favorite subject in school . . . . I tried her first suggesting and got locked out. It's just not something she thinks to be on top of (managing her FF miles). Good to know it's an option - just need one transaction to go through!

Just ONE!!!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Thanks much for your responses! I'll probably do it on my desktop computer. My niece needs to remember her LEAST favorite subject in school . . . . I tried her first suggesting and got locked out. It's just not something she thinks to be on top of (managing her FF miles). Good to know it's an option - just need one transaction to go through!

Just ONE!!!
MPX is a mobile app, its not for desktop computers. Apple iOS / Android devices only.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Combining this thought with both MPX & MP Shopping, with Christmas coming, do we have a good source of miles when shopping for toys for the kiddos now that Toys' R' us is gone? Since Target doesn't allow Toys to receive a MP Shopping credit, the only places I see are Walmart and maybe Sears / K-mart. Last year I racked up a bunch of miles using MPX at Toys 'R' Us and MP Shopping.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Combining this thought with both MPX & MP Shopping, with Christmas coming, do we have a good source of miles when shopping for toys for the kiddos now that Toys' R' us is gone? Since Target doesn't allow Toys to receive a MP Shopping credit, the only places I see are Walmart and maybe Sears / K-mart. Last year I racked up a bunch of miles using MPX at Toys 'R' Us and MP Shopping.
Beyond what's in the "Toys & Games" tab, yes, Walmart seems like the best option.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:56 pm

Was getting 3X on my MPX Starbucks GC purchases w/Chase Sapphire Reserve as of 9/25. Just made a MPX Starbucks GC purchase on 10/6 and only got 1X. Are we back to square 1X with Chase again?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by 808traveler
Was getting 3X on my MPX Starbucks GC purchases w/Chase Sapphire Reserve as of 9/25. Just made a MPX Starbucks GC purchase on 10/6 and only got 1X. Are we back to square 1X with Chase again?
There was a post somewhere I read recently that said Chase is encoding MPX purchases as some sort of Misc category now. I thought it was in this thread, but I don't see it here.

You can check and tell us what category it posted as.

-David
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Just made a Sbux MPX purchase this morning, will report back when it posts in day or two

As poster above mentioned I heard Chase was going to recode but been hearing that for a while, maybe finally just happened?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:34 pm

ok, I checked and found one of the posts I must have read on DOC yesterday Oct 7 ... I thought it was here, but I was wrong about that.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/mpx-n...phire-reserve/

Has links to a reddit thread, reports posting as "MISCELLANEOUS AND SPECIALTY RETAIL STORES" for airbnb purchase using CSR which used to code as travel.
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2018/e78qwgr/

-David
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:04 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Learned today that Nordstrom gift cards purchased through MileagePlus X when redeemed do not earn Nordstrom Rewards Notes. Would be a lot cooler if they did...
That's what I was told when I made my last purchase at Nordstrom, but I just checked my account and shows points earned.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:09 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by DG206
Just made a Sbux MPX purchase this morning, will report back when it posts in day or two

As poster above mentioned I heard Chase was going to recode but been hearing that for a while, maybe finally just happened?
I made a SBux MPX GC purchase on 9/19. Posted 3x on Sapphire reserve under food and drink.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I made a SBux MPX GC purchase on 9/19. Posted 3x on Sapphire reserve under food and drink.
9/19 was still under the more generous categories. Reports I found and posted about are very recent.

-David
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Member

You don't need to use MPX for getting mileage to your niece's account.

If you can log into her Mileage Plus account, you can thru into MP shopping buy a cheap Groupon, restaurant.com GC when there are codes for 70% off, or any purchase on the Mileage Plus Shopping site.

As long as you go thru her account and password thru Mileage Plus shopping, the purchase will count to her MP account. Best way to keep relative's accounts from expiration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.